Expired Hot Deals

Cineplex

Locked: Cineplex Ontario - reopens July 31 w/$5 tickets, $2.99 Tuesdays

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 3:19 pm
Sep 27, 2008
913 posts
729 upvotes
Why don't people here just go to a drive-in if they want to go to the theater? It's a better experience anyways imo
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes
Dr. Fauci is now recommending wearing goggles, to enhance safety. Even with the trifecta of social distancing, mask, and goggles I won't be caught in a theater until we have a vaccine. We all need to do our part to flatten the curve and reach herd immunity before getting the vaccine. Please do not be a science denier and adhere to social distancing while wearing a mask and goggles (unless protesting of course).
Mar 10, 2016
260 posts
107 upvotes
I would risk 2 weeks in the ICU to watch Tenet in IMAX.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1086 posts
1560 upvotes
UWOD2020 wrote: To be fair, it is probably safer to physical distance and watch a movie at cineplex than whatever the hell they do in patios and restaurants. You can't eat through a mask, but you can watch a movie through one. Which surprises me that they are still allowing food in the theatre
Is eat-in restaurants a thing yet? I don't think they're reopening indoor dining anytime soon. Regarding Patios, there have been numerous reports that there is a massive difference of how COVID-19 is spread indoors vs. outdoors. The limited airflow indoors allows the droplets to survive much longer than open space. You damn near need to be coughing directly on someone's face to transmit COVID-19 outdoors, versus indoors it may stay longer after you cough. That's why masks are required indoors and not outdoors.

So yeah, theaters are probably more dangerous than a patio, but the masks indoor do help. I'm personally rushing to go back into theaters for it to be worth any risk.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2461 posts
1770 upvotes
YYZ
only movies ill be going to are through drive ins.
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
1567 posts
7102 upvotes
Stroshow wrote: I would risk 2 weeks in the ICU to watch Tenet in IMAX.
that is, you would risk ☠Skull☠ death?

Not even something to joke about, friend. 🤦🏼 Face Screaming In FearFace Screaming In FearFace Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1327 posts
1074 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pls go to the movies guys, my cineplex stock needs it Face With Tears Of Joy
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16203 posts
31011 upvotes
Scarborough
fatcowxlive wrote: Is eat-in restaurants a thing yet? I don't think they're reopening indoor dining anytime soon. Regarding Patios, there have been numerous reports that there is a massive difference of how COVID-19 is spread indoors vs. outdoors. The limited airflow indoors allows the droplets to survive much longer than open space. You damn near need to be coughing directly on someone's face to transmit COVID-19 outdoors, versus indoors it may stay longer after you cough. That's why masks are required indoors and not outdoors.
Most of Ontario is in stage 3 which allows for indoor dining. Toronto goes to stage 3 tomorrow.

It's going to be a long time until I feel comfortable enough to dine indoors or go to the theatre. I bet Cineplex will be offering a lot of deals to get people to come see a movie now.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5442 posts
3472 upvotes
SW ON
lensbuyer wrote: Nice prices but the movies they offer are not worthy to (re)visit the cinema for
They promote distancing this way. LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1025 posts
910 upvotes
Azmosis30 wrote: Saying no film will release than trying to dish out "it has been delayed twice followed by "home streaming option" that literally has not been brought up once in the media is back peddling on your original claim that nothing will release.

The fact is that markets that have been heavily impacted like the film industry have NO CHOICE but to launch their films before a vaccine. Studios and companies have dished out millions upon millions to produce these IPs.

Films will release and studios will find a way to maximize earnings in creative ways. Home streaming is a horrible idea and the industry would not dare to launch a newly released movie in that format due to the fact that it opens up massive pirating concerns and possibilities.
Trolls World Tour was incredibly successful as a $20 rental on VOD. The average movie goer isn’t going to pirate a movie. I’d say the bigger issue with home releases is that a group of people can get together to watch a $20 rental. They can try and reap whatever money they spent back all they want, it still doesn’t mean it’ll work or people will go.
Glad this was shared OP, no way I’ll be going to a theatre probably for years now.

[...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 30th, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: quote and your response were removed
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1386 posts
2859 upvotes
fatcowxlive wrote: Is eat-in restaurants a thing yet? I don't think they're reopening indoor dining anytime soon. Regarding Patios, there have been numerous reports that there is a massive difference of how COVID-19 is spread indoors vs. outdoors. The limited airflow indoors allows the droplets to survive much longer than open space. You damn near need to be coughing directly on someone's face to transmit COVID-19 outdoors, versus indoors it may stay longer after you cough. That's why masks are required indoors and not outdoors.

So yeah, theaters are probably more dangerous than a patio, but the masks indoor do help. I'm personally rushing to go back into theaters for it to be worth any risk.
It is, phase 3.

There is a massive difference between indoors vs outdoors if that is the only variable, but they never compared talking/shouting/eating outdoors vs being quiet indoors. Droplets must be formed first before it can spread. What I am saying is that droplet formation can be made to be so little when watching a movie in a very large room, with enough time between showings that risk is lower than a patio where people are making thousand times more droplets while not fully physical distancing with new people coming in and out and servers walking back and forth and you putting things in your body. It is not realistic to tell people to minimize talking when dining in, and of course not wearing masks, but those are enforceable in theatres. To be honest though, it's a moot point because the science just isn't that clear cut. At the end of the day, they're all a risk.

Then again, comedy movies will be the death of us
Last edited by sushibucket on Jul 30th, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2142 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
bubaglobalj wrote: I love the movies so much that I am taking the risk to go. In fact I have already been twice to my local independent theatre. I think we shouldn't judge each other on whether we go to the movies right now or not. Everyone is an adult and should be able to decide for themselves what they deem worth the risk and what not. For me, I would never go to a fitness studio right now. It's inside, people are breathing heavily, masks not required during workout and so many surfaces! But I don't judge those that deem fitness studios worth the risk.
Your post is talking about a choice that in your opinion only affects you but it doesn't. That choice you make can affect other people.

For me that isn't nothing at all motivating about going. Paying $5 to watch a movie that I could easily watch at home in a mask. Nevermind any risks of catching the virus. It really isn't very appealing and I actually hope people won't go.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
Have you ever been to the ICU? Apparently, they flip you over and because they jam a hose down your throat and it's so painful, they pump you with so many sedatives you are in an induced coma....but if you like Nolan's movies so much, perhaps you don't mind being in a real life Inception for 2 weeks.
Stroshow wrote: I would risk 2 weeks in the ICU to watch Tenet in IMAX.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2190 posts
1811 upvotes
Waterloo
NFN_NLN wrote: How can I effectively talk throughout the movie when I'm wearing a mask?

I need to be able to verbally warn the actors when they enter a dangerous situation, as well as re-translate from English so my half deaf grandmother can follow along in her native language.
As an alternative, bring a phone at max brightness and a few flashlights for the true theatre experience.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1025 posts
910 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Who are you that you post so called "fake news"? You'd better edit your post. 0.006% is even way below flu deaths.

Only in Ontario the death rate for people under 60 (not 65) is 4.65%. Source (page 8): https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-19-r ... -07-30.pdf
You can’t argue in good faith with people like this, it’s not even worth trying. They’re dangerous and delusional. Millions of the worlds Drs and Scientists who’ve spent their entire lives studying and earning specialities in their fields are all wrong, this person is smarter. That’s how they think. The fact that they’re denying people dying is about as disgusting as it gets and should honestly get them banned in a civil forum.
Last edited by Wasp14 on Jul 30th, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
alkaint wrote: Pls go to the movies guys, my cineplex stock needs it Face With Tears Of Joy
Maybe you should have gone with Kodak.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
cardle wrote: There is no point responding to your post after reading your last sentence.
I feel the same way...do away with the covidiots.
Board games!!!!
Sep 5, 2009
73 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
This is an interesting social experiment. I'd be curious to know how much revenue they take in after the first week open.
Nov 15, 2018
36 posts
48 upvotes
Bring back more Drive in theatres!
Jul 10, 2003
727 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Why even go to the movies? I find this thread entertainment enough! Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

Now all I need is some popcorn...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)