Hot Deals

Cineplex.com

Cineplex CineClub membership - $9.99/month for 1 movie per month + discounts

Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9580 posts
10861 upvotes
Toronto
silverele wrote: Thank you for posting the article, but while it is very recent, it is out dated already.

The article says "The movie theatre will continue spacing out guests who purchased tickets when physical distancing was in place, he added. They will have exactly the same seats, he said."

Perhaps more people were going to theatres because the spacing was happening and not just because capacity limits have increased. I know my own movie plans have changed because spacing out is no longer being done.

I agree, in the future the pandemic will no longer be a concern, but I can just subscribe again then (maybe 6 months from now it'll be fully safe, who knows?).

Currently though, even with requirements to show vaccination confirmations in Ontario, I still wouldn't want to sit next to a stranger. My friend told me that she went to dinner with extended family and 1 person faked their proof of vacccination easily with Adobe Acrobat and printed it out. For reference, right now in Ontario they just need to see proof of vaccination and ID, they don't scan it or verify the authenticity (not yet). You can't make sure everyone is going to follow the rules!
Staring today there is a new, enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code that businesses and organizations can scan using the Verify Ontario app.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

Download the Verify Ontario mobile app
Ontario's official mobile application for businesses to scan COVID-19 proof of vaccination at entry.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/verify
Feb 18, 2018
822 posts
978 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Staring today there is a new, enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code that businesses and organizations can scan using the Verify Ontario app.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

Download the Verify Ontario mobile app
Ontario's official mobile application for businesses to scan COVID-19 proof of vaccination at entry.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/verify
the old paper ones without the QR are still going to be valid
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2252 posts
2374 upvotes
Toronto
The attached screenshot is of the Friday showing for Dune at my local theatre...it is my nightmare. lol

I thought people would still choose to have empty seats between each other, but it doesn't appear to be the case. I hope it will not get this crazy when I watch it! I have 1 Cineclub member priced ticket left to use.
Images
  • Screenshot_20211019-213157_Cineplex.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3407 posts
860 upvotes
Vancouver
And in BC (except for some regions I think), theatres, sporting events, etc are returning to 100% capacity as of Oct 24. Sigh.. so I expect we won't see seats being blocked off when I book tickets for any showings after the 24th.
Mar 21, 2013
338 posts
265 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Did an IMAX showing for No Time To Die. It was CROWDED. Felt like people were on top of me. Not going to do anything but VIP again until covid clears up and even then I'm not sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2388 posts
2398 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Sure, but 6 months from now you'll have 6 cheap movie tickets saved up :) But yeah, if you don't want to bank them, obviously you can just cancel and resubscribe.

I'm definitely not going right now, specifically because of how easy it is to fake your vaccine receipt. And the thing is? Last I read, even once the app-based, verifiable system is in place (supposed to be next week I think? But who knows), you'll still just be able to use the paper/PDF receipt! So I'm not sure why they're even bothering with the verifiable system if they're just gonna let people use the easily-faked ones. Maybe some businesses will start refusing the easily faked ones, I guess we'll see what happens.
I read and know a few people that are fully 2 dosed vaxxed, that will refuse to use the QR code because it feels invasive to their privacy, and the fear of being tracked and info dissected from scanning to the phone app.

Yes even though the government says it doesn't, but they are stubborn and refuse to believe that.

If businesses don't accept any and just QR, any business will see a hit, because you're not given the choice and will leave.

I read on reddit that a bouncer at a Toronto nightclub will enforce the QR only entry. He said he will turn you away if you have the paper only...... that is if you slide me a $20 to look the other way. A great side hustle I guess.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20125 posts
9549 upvotes
Oakville
Allen84 wrote: I read and know a few people that are fully 2 dosed vaxxed, that will refuse to use the QR code because it feels invasive to their privacy, and the fear of being tracked and info dissected from scanning to the phone app.

Yes even though the government says it doesn't, but they are stubborn and refuse to believe that.

If businesses don't accept any and just QR, any business will see a hit, because you're not given the choice and will leave.
I'd say those people are in the VERY small minority. The bigger issue IMO is non-tech-savvy people who can't figure out how to download the new one and are still relying on the paper receipt that they got when they initially got jabbed... But those people are going to be screwed either way, if they somehow ruin the paper copy.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2388 posts
2398 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'd say those people are in the VERY small minority. The bigger issue IMO is non-tech-savvy people who can't figure out how to download the new one and are still relying on the paper receipt that they got when they initially got jabbed... But those people are going to be screwed either way, if they somehow ruin the paper copy.
The younger looking people will probably be discriminated and might be given more hassle, since yes, they should be tech literate lol. But who's gonna be the one that will have the balls to call them out on it. It's just kind of confrontation one might not want to get into.

On the other hand, senior citizens will get the least hassle, since they are older and not expected to know much and fiddle with QRs. So the they will get through more.
Apr 7, 2020
497 posts
1437 upvotes
Wanted to take my kid to see Ron's Gone Wrong this weekend but I noticed there's no more blocking of any seats in Ontario. I get that the vaccine requirement was put in to remove restrictions but kids still can't get it. They should've at least kept the distancing for kids movies...