Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] Half the scene points including UltraAVX, VIP, IMAX, DBOX, 4DX and ScreenX!* (September 16 – 30)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 8:16 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14649 posts
4038 upvotes
I agree that you are more likely to catch Covid-19 at a restaurant patio than a nearly empty movie theatre.

I might even argue that the theatre going experience is safer and cleaner than a grocery store or restaurant now. The workers have almost nothing to do so they just clean. Contrast that to a busy store or restaurant where the overworked employees might forget to wash their hands and sanitize constantly.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Jul 11, 2017
465 posts
404 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I agree that you are more likely to catch Covid-19 at a restaurant patio than a nearly empty movie theatre.

I might even argue that the theatre going experience is safer and cleaner than a grocery store or restaurant now. The workers have almost nothing to do so they just clean. Contrast that to a busy store or restaurant where the overworked employees might forget to wash their hands and sanitize constantly.
Unfortunately, I would agree with this... I work in a grocery store and right now we are overworked to all heck, although we are nights, so not really responsible for the cleaning of the store that happens during the time we are open. But just in general, it is still crazy at our store for sure! It doesn't help that our crew of about 15 people is losing about 7 people over the next little bit...
Aug 17, 2008
922 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I agree that you are more likely to catch Covid-19 at a restaurant patio than a nearly empty movie theatre.

I've witnessed what you just described at a busy restaurant patio. They're so overwhelmed with business they forget to wipe down tables and when they do, it's only a couple of swipes with a rag.

Didn't look like the young girl had time to wash her hands even.

Obviously I didn't go there, just witnessing from a distance.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2733 posts
1736 upvotes
supremePug wrote: I want to go see Tenet!!
No you don't. Wait until you can watch it at home with subtitles.

Trust me. Waste of time and money trying to hear the dialogue in a theatre.
Dec 30, 2016
79 posts
72 upvotes
You guys are funny. Staying home scared and missing out of great deals like these. You have a flipping higher chance of catching this virus simply by visiting a grocery store, eating at restaurants, visiting family and friends than ever sitting in a large theater with separates sectioned seats.

More deals for me, I’m heading to the theater for the second time today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote: No they're not... this is just standard Nolan with his past 5 movies, I don't know why he keeps doing this.

I love Nolan but my God it's irritating. And Tenet is so plot, exposition heavy that it seriously hinders the movie.

I remember not understanding the ending of Interstellar at all until I watched it at home which has a better audio mix for some reason, then it made sense and everything clicked and it's my favourite movie by him now.
Well that certainly takes it off my list.

I remember watching Dark Knight Rises in theatres and basically Bane was incomprehensible, which really detracted from the immersion. Only after watching it at home, with subtitles, did I fully understand everything said.

It's the second of two trends which I hate in modern cinema (Nolan isn't the only one doing this). The other is movies/shows that are too dark. It is immersive if a dark environment is dark, but I can still see everyone. It's 100% not immersive when the screen is basically black and I have no clue what's going on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
ilove wrote: Hollywood can go die as far as I'm concerned
The time of the silver screen was waning before COVID, COVID will finish the death strike.

Streaming choices have gotten so good, why would I spend $60+ to go see a movie when I can sit home and watch months of excellent fare?

COVID just opened the eyes of those few who were left on the fence to how good streaming productions are.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
swaghunter wrote: Why are many people saying theatres automatically have covid? Im not disputing you but what is the basis of your claim? Is it just because its an enclosed space?
Many people are also putting their kids back in school which are proving with real basis to have covid cases, or going to grocery stores (necessary, I know, but still a huge risk regardless), or eating out regularly.

Again, not protecting theatres, but I havent heard one solid argument here of why theatres are so much riskier. I was at the markham cineplex recently just to buy popcorn, it was a friday evening....and there was literally nobody there. Not a single other patron.
Well, two reasons:

1) You are spending hours in an enclosed space with people outside of your social circle, many of whom will remove their masks because of eating. That DRAMATICALLY raises the chances of getting the vid. If there is a super spreader that was in the same seat as you that day, you will likely get it (check out the traced case in Singapore for background on that one)
2) Seeing a movie in a theatre isn't ANYWHERE near a necessary activity. School is very important for children, keeping them out of school for a year, especially when young is very damaging. It's about risk mangement, take a little risk to see a movie? Take a little risk to educate your child?

So it's not a matter of MUCH riskier than going to the dentist, or kids in the school The difference is it's a COMPLETELY unnecessary risk.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
rage2021 wrote: i dont see how you would be more susceptible vs doing everyday tasks like grocery shopping. i think that would be way worse.
Then you don't understand trasmission.

Being in a grocery store there are VERY few times you are around the same person for an extended period of time. Closest you get is the cashier, and that person is behind a plexiglass shield (which is WHY they are behind a plexiglass shield).

Movie theatre? Up to 2 hours in closish proximity to multiple people. And that's ignoring anybody else who sat in your seat earlier that day.

Night and day.

And finally: people NEED food. People don't NEED to sit in a movie theatre. The risk isn't warranted.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
rage2021 wrote: you can choose when to go to theatres too. and by all accounts, they are literally empty. it may end up being more safe then a lot of public places right now.
But you don't know that ahead of time!

Say you buy a ticket, show up at the theatre, and your theatre (because of a promotion like this) is packed, will you go home? Some will, most won't.
Dec 26, 2013
163 posts
160 upvotes
Cambridge
Seen two movies now. We were the only one's in the theatre both times. We wipe down the chairs quickly and enjoy the movie. No issues, no concerns whatsoever. The place is always EMPTY. If you are concerned, order tickets online and check to see what the seating situation looks like. We passed on later shows that had more people, to early ones that had no one at all. Use best judgement. I loved Tenet, but I'd have to watch it again - at home with subtitles. It's not that hard to make out what is being said, but subtitles would be nice for sure.
$60/10GB - Koodo --- $70 Huawei P20 - Koodo
$24.99 500U Internet - Rogers -- $50 Nest Hello Doorbell (HBC)
May 18, 2007
725 posts
1180 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: Up to 2 hours in closish proximity to multiple people. And that's ignoring anybody else who sat in your seat earlier that day.

The thing that has me the most worried about sitting in a theatre - even several feet away from other people - is when someone sneezes. Those germs are the riskiest and will get circulated throughout! No thanks!!
Feb 18, 2018
615 posts
756 upvotes
repatch wrote: But you don't know that ahead of time!

Say you buy a ticket, show up at the theatre, and your theatre (because of a promotion like this) is packed, will you go home? Some will, most won't.
you totally can figure out ahead of time. they all have seat maps online and are a severely reduced capacity. sold out theatre now is maybe 15% of all the seats
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5550 posts
5190 upvotes
Aselwyn1 wrote: you totally can figure out ahead of time. they all have seat maps online and are a severely reduced capacity. sold out theatre now is maybe 15% of all the seats
Sure, I guess if you wait until the last possible moment to buy your ticket, I guess that could work. Sounds like too much hassle.

And is going to a movie theatre REALLY that important to people? It's not like this was a summer of blockbusters anyways.
May 31, 2016
496 posts
453 upvotes
Lol screw that, covid infections have risen 9x in the last month in Ontario, and the Ottawa health unit declared tha is the start of the second wave. Sitting for 2-3 hours breathing recycled air with dozens (hundreds?) of other people, right after dozens/hundreds of other people just finished breathing that same air, in the midst of a global respiratory pandemic - well, it's gonna take a lot more than half price points tickets to get my asthmatic lungs back in a theatre 🤣. Anyone see the big article last week that an Ottawa Cineplex got shut down 4 days after it re-opened due to a positive covid test?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)