Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] Half the scene points including UltraAVX, VIP, IMAX, DBOX, 4DX and ScreenX!* (September 16 – 30)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 8:16 pm
Jun 20, 2020
135 posts
111 upvotes
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: Anyone see the big article last week that an Ottawa Cineplex got shut down 4 days after it re-opened due to a positive covid test?
More than 4 days.

Cineplex Cinemas Ottawa on Carling Avenue one of 25 to reopen across Ontario on July 31
from https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/carling-cinep ... -1.5090662

Temporarily closed September 1st
https://mediafiles.cineplex.com/press-r ... 3237_0.pdf
Nov 17, 2007
261 posts
755 upvotes
Canada
Come on people, please be smart. Please do not go to the movies.

Take it from someone who has (mostly) recovered from COVID...seeing ANY movie in theaters IS NOT WORTH IT.
I Love deals.
Feb 18, 2018
615 posts
756 upvotes
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: Fair enough. I thought it was one of the theaters that opened August 31st.
doesn't mean anyone got covid at that location because of it there just being extra careful.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2408 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
ADMartin wrote: Seen two movies now. We were the only one's in the theatre both times. We wipe down the chairs quickly and enjoy the movie. No issues, no concerns whatsoever. The place is always EMPTY. If you are concerned, order tickets online and check to see what the seating situation looks like. We passed on later shows that had more people, to early ones that had no one at all. Use best judgement. I loved Tenet, but I'd have to watch it again - at home with subtitles. It's not that hard to make out what is being said, but subtitles would be nice for sure.
Agree, no one's at the movies!

Ticket price DBOX AVX if you were to pay cash is crazy expensive, approx $25 each in GTA.

Afternoon movie DBOX AVX seats for Tenet, 1k points each, until Sep 22nd is a steal, if theatre is empty :)
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1577 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: Then you don't understand trasmission.

Being in a grocery store there are VERY few times you are around the same person for an extended period of time. Closest you get is the cashier, and that person is behind a plexiglass shield (which is WHY they are behind a plexiglass shield).

Movie theatre? Up to 2 hours in closish proximity to multiple people. And that's ignoring anybody else who sat in your seat earlier that day.

Night and day.

And finally: people NEED food. People don't NEED to sit in a movie theatre. The risk isn't warranted.
It can be argued that you would be surrounded by more patrons at a store, even if exposure to each individual is shorter. As well, anecdotally, I've seen people not follow basic guidelines in stores, from not wearing masks to just being right up another customer, and I've never seen anyone called out on that by staff.

What I do know is that theatres are taking great strides in reducing exposure between one another. Are theatres necessary compared to shopping for food? Of course not. Are theatres inherently riskier than shopping? I strongly disagree.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5540 posts
5188 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote: It can be argued that you would be surrounded by more patrons at a store, even if exposure to each individual is shorter. As well, anecdotally, I've seen people not follow basic guidelines in stores, from not wearing masks to just being right up another customer, and I've never seen anyone called out on that by staff.

What I do know is that theatres are taking great strides in reducing exposure between one another. Are theatres necessary compared to shopping for food? Of course not. Are theatres inherently riskier than shopping? I strongly disagree.
Length of exposure is key. The COVID alterting app sets the exposure time to 15min.

It's VERY unlikely you will be in close proximity to ANYONE for anywhere NEAR 15 min in a grocery store.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that you are sitting in a seat, for 2 hours, that someone potentially JUST sat in, for 2 hours. THAT is risky right there. That arm rest, are you CERTAIN the underpaid theatre employee completely washed it? What about the underside that you reach for when you get up while carrying another item?

Sorry, I understand you WANT to think the theatres are super safe and clean, but come on.

And in the end, even if the risk IS lower, there IS risk. Do you REALLY feel it necessary to take on that risk?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2838 posts
3172 upvotes
canada_dry wrote: Me thinks the movie industry really needs to step up if they want people to fill theater seats.... I'm talking they better start giving away free food for coming out!

E.g. at least free popcorn and pop... it costs next to nothing and might just help save the theater business.

(And even with free food it's a hard sell to get me into a theater!)
they arent trying to fill up seats they have very few seats available actually. this is most likely just a way to stay relevant. also there isnt much going on in the new movies coming out.
Jan 8, 2019
11 posts
11 upvotes
Well, I took the plunge and saw Tenet at the Cineplex at Winston Churchill (Oakville) in IMAX. I had a couple of thousand scene reward points saved, plus it was a 50% off for the scene points. So the movie was free for me.
Firstly, I saw it in the afternoon on a Sunday, so barely 8-10 people in a hall with a seating capacity of maybe 3-400 (?). Everything seemed clean, but still I used disinfectant for my hands. I felt more safe then visiting a grocery store or a local Tim-Hortons at that time. I wore a mask on all the time.
Tenet was a bit difficult to understand in the beginning. A bit confusing, but I got the main gist of it. Some plot twists (or sub-plots) will try to understand later. It was definitely an interesting concept. Not the best of Nolan's work, but def a good watch. I would def recommend a first (or second for me) watch with subtitles. Sound quality was okay/decent but not the best for dialogues. Had to concentrate at times, trying to make out what they were saying.
Before the movie started saw Top Gun trailer(reboot of Tom Cruise, dunno when this dude will retire). Well the bell and whistles of IMAX are probably going to be good for that movie. I know the Oakville IMAX is not a true IMAX, but the larger screen and good surround sound was still an experience.
PS: For those for whom safety is paramount, they can def watch movies at home, what with all the options available in streaming and most people with decent TVs/surround sound systems at home. Safety is important, so its your own call. I was just tired being stuck at home, so took a bit of risk by venturing out. Considering the theater was largely empty, and clean (I didn't use toilets or anything ;) ... So hopefully no harm done !
Apr 13, 2009
842 posts
277 upvotes
I and others I know wouldn’t want to go to the movies
To each his own

:D :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2181 posts
1750 upvotes
Vancouver
"UltraAVX, VIP, IMAX, DBOX, 4DX and ScreenX!"

What the **** are any of these... I must be getting old.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9048 posts
53721 upvotes
Ontario
MULAN IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Luckily, I didn't spend any money to watch it.
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Dec 30, 2016
79 posts
72 upvotes
Saw the new mutants in theater. Myself and the person I was with both enjoyed it. 3 other ppl in theater. I felt safer than in any other store. Go enjoy yourselves
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6622 posts
2896 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote: It can be argued that you would be surrounded by more patrons at a store, even if exposure to each individual is shorter. As well, anecdotally, I've seen people not follow basic guidelines in stores, from not wearing masks to just being right up another customer, and I've never seen anyone called out on that by staff.

The air isnt recycled very quickly at the cinemas and that is part of the issue. Planes on the other hand the air is recycled every few mins so the risk is actually quite low unless you're sitting 2 meters from someone infected. At the cinema slow air recycle/filtered and sitting in the same room (even if large room) with potentially infected customers for 2+ hours means a substantial risk.

No epidemiologist i've seen have said they would bring themselves or their families to a cinema during this pandemic. They all said what i just indicated. No movie should risk your health. Not like there are amazing movies out right now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)