Entertainment

Cineworld to buy Cineplex in $2.8-billion deal for Canada's largest theatre chain. Axes Tanner Zipchen

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2021 1:23 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto

Cineworld to buy Cineplex in $2.8-billion deal for Canada's largest theatre chain. Axes Tanner Zipchen

Last edited by sprung on Jan 13th, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
81 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Interesting.. Face Screaming In Fear
😱
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Well at least that’ll recover ~some~ of my losses. Don’t know how the company could struggle so bad with 70% market share.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
OMG...

I was an Unlimited member with Cineworld when I was living in London, UK. If they bring that membership program to Canada, you can watch films in any of their cinemas multiple times a day if you wish for maybe $30 a month (based on the UK membership price).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
Hope this new acquisition will lead to Canada finally having Dolby Cinema in our theatres. We only have the Dolby Atmos surround sound and are currently missing the Dolby Vision in our auditoriums.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I felt like CIneplex was a step down from Famous Players. Famous Player was really big into building new theatres with big screens etc.... Cineplex seemed more like maintaining the status quo (but upgrading technology a long the way.

I wonder which direction this new company will be like.

It's definitely a challenging industry to be in. If it's not a big epic blockbuster from an establish franchise (which Disney owns most of) it's hard to get people in the seats.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5217 upvotes
Smart move with no mega must see on the big screen movies for the foreseeable future.

Star Wars this week and then what?

Avatar Sequels coming in next decade?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
renoldman wrote: Smart move with no mega must see on the big screen movies for the foreseeable future.

Star Wars this week and then what?

Avatar Sequels coming in next decade?
Mulan
No Time to Die
Black Widow
Fast and Furious 9
Wonder Woman 1984
Top Gun: Maverick
Tenet
Eternals
Uncharted

There's always something big on the horizon!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
I hope they do something with the scene points. The whole system has been really going downhill last 3-4 years.
Dec 10, 2019
13 posts
25 upvotes
Interesting....

I was always under the impression that a majority of the ticket price is going to the studios (with higher percentages going to Disney) and the theaters were making their money from concessions. I suppose giving an unlimited pass would break even with the ticketing cost and rely on the additional attendance to boost concession profits.

With that being said, I'm curious about starting/stopping the membership. $30 makes sense when 4/5 blockbusters are coming down the pipeline, but some months the selection is downright awful.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I'm not sure an unlimited pass would get me to theatre more often. I generally go to see the big blockbuster movies I really want to see. Usually Marvel, Star Wars, and the odd non-disney flick. Maybe 3-4 movies a year at best. The theatre experience isn't always great due to the public. I'm fairly content waiting 3 months and watching the other movies at home.

It'll be interesting to see what the cost of a pass would be.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, with all the free screenings in Toronto it is very rarely that I find myself paying full price for movies. added to that, I can often buy cheap ($4-9) codes for Cineplex.

can't see the value in a membership for my viewing habits
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
164 upvotes
Also, if Cineplex would introduce the unlimited pass it would be crazy expensive. I have experienced passes for less than $20/month CAD before in Europe and just by watching 2 movies a month you got your money's worth out of it.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
lensbuyer wrote: Also, if Cineplex would introduce the unlimited pass it would be crazy expensive. I have experienced passes for less than $20/month CAD before in Europe and just by watching 2 movies a month you got your money's worth out of it.
Around $25/month would be my maximum price point to get an unlimited pass.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
I'd be ok with a unlimited VIP sitting pass for up to $60/month. They can make their money in VIP food and drinks with more people coming in.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: Around $25/month would be my maximum price point to get an unlimited pass.
I was hoping for something less than $20 something as well. I can get Cineplex certificates for about $10.50 from my work, and I'm not forced to use 2 every month. It's possible that Cineworld would cancel corporate bulk purchases, but I kinda doubt that.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
silverele wrote: I was hoping for something less than $20 something as well. I can get Cineplex certificates for about $10.50 from my work, and I'm not forced to use 2 every month. It's possible that Cineworld would cancel corporate bulk purchases, but I kinda doubt that.
Can the GCs from your work be used online, or do you have to use them at the theatre's box office?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: Can the GCs from your work be used online, or do you have to use them at the theatre's box office?
They are the Admit One certificates that a lot of programs sell, like CAA, eServus and Perkopolis.

I think starting this year or late last year you could use the Admit One codes online.

If you work on an Oxford property, you probably have access to eServus. If you are an alumni to a college or university, you might have access to Perkopolis.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
It was a while back when Costco started selling off Cineplex passes at certain times with a $4 discount, making it $25.99 instead of the normal $29.99.

With so few good movies coming out to threatre's any longer, seems you only get Marvel movies or some rehash sequel instead of any new fresh movies.

I usually keep three or four passes at home all the time for may family, if i don't use my son or daughter will use from time to time.

If they go monthly fee i likely would skip that idea, not enough content to get me out once a month, for me or anyone in the family.

Until they start bringing out original content and not rehashed crap i don't believe the golden years will be coming back any time soon.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)