Entertainment

Cineworld to buy Cineplex in $2.8-billion deal for Canada's largest theatre chain. Axes Tanner Zipchen

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 9:45 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3883 posts
1294 upvotes
Ajax
JeloGutierrezC19296 wrote: On the takeover notes, Cineplex is planning to construction a new but replacement 12 screen theatre where the former Sears stood. I wonder if Cineworld will honor it.

I don’t know if Cineplex will expand to Cedarbrae Mall. They have no movie theatre in the area since the closure of Famous Players Cedarbrae 8 in 2003 but a Junxion brand will be a possibility.

If the merger is accepted, will Cineplex and Cineworld sell off a number of theatres to Landmark Cinemas or Cinemas Guzzo? The latter is planning an expansion outside of Quebec. My guess is the Cineplex Odeon Morningside and Famous Players Canada Square are the ones slated to get the boot.
Which of the Sears store locations are you referring to?

There is nothing to expand at Cedabrae as the land has long ago been redeveloped. How that all played out was FP opened Vic. Park as Cedarbrae faded away. Then Scarb. Town Centre was developed as Vic Park faded away. Morningside is an easy money maker for the locals in that area. However, it and the Ajax location are pretty redundant. Unless there is a plan to completely refurbish with leather recliners etc, they will probably close these two. Scarb Town can service the needs of the Morningside group and the new Cineplex at Pickering Town Centre can easily service the Ajax customers.

What is curious is whether anything will be developed for the massive outside retail area going in at 407 and Simcoe in Oshawa. Big opportunity to service customers in Oshawa,Whitby, Brooklin and places further East now that 407 is connected all the way to 35.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3185 posts
1243 upvotes
I'm not the biggest Tanner Zipchen fan. However, he did more than host the pre-shows, but also did several interviews as well. I'm sure he'll land on his feet and get another job in the entertainment field. We'll probably see him working for Etalk or Entertainment Tonight Canada, even though his reporting sucked. LOL

https://www.cineplex.com/News/Daisy-Rid ... -Skywalker
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11718 posts
1927 upvotes
Mississauga
I wonder how much a job like that would pay? You've got to have good camera skills obviously, but if you've got that, the job is pretty simple. I guess Cineworld will be doing its own version of the pre-show and he wasn't part of their vision.

I won't miss Timeplay if they decide to axe that. That's gone down the tubes over the years.

EDIT: Let's say the guy made $60,000 a year. Cineplex also sent him on press junkets regularly (they're usually done in LA), so there's airfare, hotels, ground transportation and food that they have to spend on as well and someone to edit all this footage. I've seen movies in other countries and I've never seen a Tanner-like pre-show host in other theatres. Cineworld was probably thinking, "We're not spending $75K a year for this when we can just run ads instead. Get rid of him."
Dec 23, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: I wonder how much a job like that would pay? You've got to have good camera skills obviously, but if you've got that, the job is pretty simple. I guess Cineworld will be doing its own version of the pre-show and he wasn't part of their vision.

I won't miss Timeplay if they decide to axe that. That's gone down the tubes over the years.

EDIT: Let's say the guy made $60,000 a year. Cineplex also sent him on press junkets regularly (they're usually done in LA), so there's airfare, hotels, ground transportation and food that they have to spend on as well and someone to edit all this footage. I've seen movies in other countries and I've never seen a Tanner-like pre-show host in other theatres. Cineworld was probably thinking, "We're not spending $75K a year for this when we can just run ads instead. Get rid of him."
I guess Cineworld should adopt the name of Regal Cineplex ala Loews Cineplex if it wasn’t for Allan Karp’s Cineplex Odeon’s megaplexes and John Bailey’s neo-amusement park multiplexes from Famous Players, Landmark could try hiring Tanner Zipchen to slap their ex-employers behind.
Dec 23, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes
Sale approved by shareholders. Next is the Ontario Superior Court on Tuesday then Competition Bureau who will decide to sell off a number of theatres to avoid a monopoly.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3883 posts
1294 upvotes
Ajax
JeloGutierrezC19296 wrote: Sale approved by shareholders. Next is the Ontario Superior Court on Tuesday then Competition Bureau who will decide to sell off a number of theatres to avoid a monopoly.
They also mentioned that there would be layoffs. Part in parcel when one company takes over another company.
Sep 8, 2004
219 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Cineworld owns Regal in the states, so really no guesswork needed on how the unlimited program works and what included/excluded:

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/unlimited/faq

They will keep the Cineplex brand here. The real question is: what will happen with the Scotiabank tie ins and how different will the points system be?

https://regalcrownclub.regmovies.com/
Dec 23, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes
Agreed. But what are they gonna do with the brands that Cineplex have when they acquired Famous Players like Colossus, SilverCity and Coliseum? I don’t think Cineplex won’t be unifying all the brands like AMC did.

Unless of course Cineworld’s North American division would be called “Regal Cineplex” or “Cineplex Regal” a la Loews Cineplex or Cineplex Odeon.

Give it a few years then Cineworld would eventually implode in a post-Brexit economic environment.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8619 posts
3401 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: Dang. They were paying Tanner Zipchen in Scene points

https://www.thestar.com/amp/business/20 ... oints.html
wasn't a huge fan of Tanner...

damn, this is not looking good for Cineplex
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9367 posts
1517 upvotes
Victoria
To be fair.. would you accept a job that only paid scene points? :)

I feel they aren't a good currently. They get devalued by 50% every couple of years, and now there's the chance this new company will do something crazy with them.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17748 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
Well at least Cineplex paid him something. Remember when Bell had their unpaid "Internships". Not sure if they still do this.
Nov 13, 2014
279 posts
173 upvotes
Westmount, QC
zod wrote: To be fair.. would you accept a job that only paid scene points? :)

I feel they aren't a good currently. They get devalued by 50% every couple of years, and now there's the chance this new company will do something crazy with them.
Well that depends. How many hours a week? month ? Do I get to meet actors ? Fly for premiere, etc . If it's a yes, than many people would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is once you do it for a certain period of time I guess the novelty of it all is kinda lost and you do want to get paid.