Entertainment

Cineworld to buy Cineplex in $2.8-billion deal for Canada's largest theatre chain. Axes Tanner Zipchen

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 9:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20638 posts
21992 upvotes
Toronto
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3883 posts
1294 upvotes
Ajax
sprung wrote:
Not surprised as the Toronto Star is mostly full of shit all of the time.

Cineplex should be embarrassed that they let him go when he asked for proper compensation, actual currency. The deal would be a half decent salary and the free movies would be a no-brainer.

That would be like a sportscaster getting compensated by getting free concessions only.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2030 posts
1870 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Which of the Sears store locations are you referring to?

There is nothing to expand at Cedabrae as the land has long ago been redeveloped. How that all played out was FP opened Vic. Park as Cedarbrae faded away. Then Scarb. Town Centre was developed as Vic Park faded away. Morningside is an easy money maker for the locals in that area. However, it and the Ajax location are pretty redundant. Unless there is a plan to completely refurbish with leather recliners etc, they will probably close these two. Scarb Town can service the needs of the Morningside group and the new Cineplex at Pickering Town Centre can easily service the Ajax customers.

What is curious is whether anything will be developed for the massive outside retail area going in at 407 and Simcoe in Oshawa. Big opportunity to service customers in Oshawa,Whitby, Brooklin and places further East now that 407 is connected all the way to 35.
A while back there were plans that STC will have a massive redevelopment.

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/12/do ... evelopment

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9367 posts
1517 upvotes
Victoria
frugal69 wrote: Looks like the deal is off ...

Cineworld says $2.8-billion takeover of Cineplex is off, says deal was breached
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/newsa ... 55317.html
I was wondering if that would happen. Given theatres are closed, and people aren't in a rush to go back to public gatherings, you had to think Cineworld might try to get out of the deal?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20638 posts
21992 upvotes
Toronto
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Jun 9, 2013
361 posts
295 upvotes
Surrey
meh. was hoping the acquisition would make cineplex better. Cineplex sucks imo. Seats are uncomfortably small and worn out, cannot recline. Cant refill drinks. dirty. Ticket price also more expensive.

On the other hand, landmark has free drink refill. Recliner seats with lots of space. cheaper ticket price. cleaner as well. one big down side with landmark is that doesnt have premium screen format.. otherwise, landmark would better in every category.
Jul 5, 2004
24750 posts
4043 upvotes
kjc123 wrote: meh. was hoping the acquisition would make cineplex better. Cineplex sucks imo. Seats are uncomfortably small and worn out, cannot recline. Cant refill drinks. dirty. Ticket price also more expensive.

On the other hand, landmark has free drink refill. Recliner seats with lots of space. cheaper ticket price. cleaner as well. one big down side with landmark is that doesnt have premium screen format.. otherwise, landmark would better in every category.
The cineplex in Kingston has large, reclining seats. The tickets and food is still too expensive, but so is Landmark.