• Feb 18th, 2018 7:53 pm
Tags:
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2784 posts
2487 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Yes, the circuit city name was purchased by some investors and it looks like they're trying to relaunch as an online only retailer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9132 posts
2756 upvotes
London
I Haven't Heard That Name In Years.

But aren't we past the point where all you need to succeed in eCommerce is a catchy url? I can't fathom anything these people can bring to the online market that hasn't been done before. God bless 'em for trying, but there's already a few juggernauts in the marketplace that will eat their lunch.

and FFS, who wrote this? It sounds like something my dad would write.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: But aren't we past the point where all you need to succeed in eCommerce is a catchy url?
Depends on what people think of when they hear the name Circuit city.
The track record is a fresh start though.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9132 posts
2756 upvotes
London
playnicee1 wrote: The track record is a fresh start though.
Some fresh start..

https://www.cnet.com/news/circuit-city- ... ts-a-snag/
In an interview with industry daily Twice, CEO Ronny Shmoel said the launch was delayed because "his information-only corporate site had been 'inundated with visitors' in advance of the launch, and has already received hundreds of thousands of mailing list sign-ups," and that he wanted to beef it up so it wouldn't crash under the load on day 1.

There's no new date, just "shortly" per the article.

However, this isn't the first time its relaunch has been delayed. Shmoel bought the brand from retailer Systemax in 2015 and announced a relaunch for June 2016; that month, he announced a delay because it was "taking our time to get it right." No press release was issued this time.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4057 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA
And how is this affecting my show?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1007 posts
1516 upvotes
scarborough
The ex ceo was a best buy exec before switch to circuit city. What a scumbag he turned out to be . Mismanagement of funds and poor management turned the number 2 electronic retail to to bankruptcy.
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: The ex ceo was a best buy exec before switch to circuit city. What a scumbag he turned out to be . Mismanagement of funds and poor management turned the number 2 electronic retail to to bankruptcy.
Sounds like the story almost wrote itself...

Maybe Best Buy purposely did that? lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9132 posts
2756 upvotes
London
explorer11 wrote: The ex ceo was a best buy exec before switch to circuit city. What a scumbag he turned out to be . Mismanagement of funds and poor management turned the number 2 electronic retail to to bankruptcy.
Ahhhh Philip J. Schoonover! I was just reading about him, because he fired 3k of the most senior employees, one of the nails in their coffin. Last monday Barnes and Noble just pulled the same trick, firing their full time employees; we'll see if history repeats itself.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
What a mess! RIP Circuit city 2.0? Or am I speaking too soon?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!