Real Estate

Cities in Canada worry about student housing vacancies as more universities go online

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 6:16 pm
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
551 upvotes
M1C

Cities in Canada worry about student housing vacancies as more universities go online

https://www.freshdaily.ca/real-estate/2 ... es-canada/
There's still a chance that many Canadian universities will conduct at least some in-person classes in the fall, but landlords may find it difficult to find students to fill their rentals — and student towns may look emptier than usual this September.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1357 posts
1058 upvotes
Ontario
It's not only the rental, it's all ecosystem around the university. All those coffee shops, all those restaurants/fast-food, transportation, etc...
Jan 7, 2019
285 posts
260 upvotes
In many cities, the university is the backbone of the economy. I went to McMaster University and I can tell you if online learning is continued, that city is done for.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Sep 24, 2006
796 posts
107 upvotes
Agreed. I've read articles stating that smaller towns will "boom" with the "mass exodus" of people from Toronto. But will those people visit these student-centric establishments?
Isostar wrote: It's not only the rental, it's all ecosystem around the university. All those coffee shops, all those restaurants/fast-food, transportation, etc...
Mar 23, 2002
513 posts
7 upvotes
At the end of the day, people still need to live somewhere. Given the pandemic, I imagine a lot of the students are just moving back in with their parents.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1421 posts
1437 upvotes
GTA
Hyperbole.

There are many branches of Western Universities in China/Middle East. Why wouldn't they have just kept their kids there to begin with way before COVID? Wealthy families send their kids to foreign schools for the interaction and network, NOT just for the education.

9/11 and the backlash against Islam/Muslims didn't stop wealthy Arabs from sending their kids to European/American/Canadian schools. It just made them spend more to ensure safety.
Dec 28, 2010
586 posts
257 upvotes
Don't forget that you can't teach everything online. Think surgery, arts, you name it.
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1215 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Will be good for professionals in the areas, mainly looking at Waterloo here?
Oct 31, 2019
244 posts
235 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote: Hyperbole.

There are many branches of Western Universities in China/Middle East. Why wouldn't they have just kept their kids there to begin with way before COVID? Wealthy families send their kids to foreign schools for the interaction and network, NOT just for the education.

9/11 and the backlash against Islam/Muslims didn't stop wealthy Arabs from sending their kids to European/American/Canadian schools. It just made them spend more to ensure safety.
What about poor families here? Isnt that still where most students come from? If I could've just lived at home and saved on rent then in my senior years then I probably would have. Most people only go to university to get a piece of paper that says "employable". Some work harder and pay more to get into a better school to get a piece of paper that says "more employable than that person".

If you can get a degree from U of T without having to pay Toronto rents then expect rental demand to drop around Toronto.

I do agree that foreign demand will be relatively inelastic......some of the very rich just send their kids to school here just so that they can buy Canadian property more easily.
Jul 8, 2017
625 posts
689 upvotes
NA
VanByTheRiver wrote: What about poor families here? Isnt that still where most students come from? If I could've just lived at home and saved on rent then in my senior years then I probably would have. Most people only go to university to get a piece of paper that says "employable". Some work harder and pay more to get into a better school to get a piece of paper that says "more employable than that person".

If you can get a degree from U of T without having to pay Toronto rents then expect rental demand to drop around Toronto.

I do agree that foreign demand will be relatively inelastic......some of the very rich just send their kids to school here just so that they can buy Canadian property more easily.
What are you trying to say in here by quoting someone post about international students? I don't think you truly understand why sone wealthy international students are buying properties in Canada, their ultimate motive is to get their Canadian passport aka to buy a better life in Canada with their parents wealth. Overall in general this is not a bad thing because there is an influx of wealth moving into this country.
Oct 31, 2019
244 posts
235 upvotes
Silver1234 wrote: What are you trying to say in here by quoting someone post about international students? I don't think you truly understand why sone wealthy international students are buying properties in Canada, their ultimate motive is to get their Canadian passport aka to buy a better life in Canada with their parents wealth. Overall in general this is not a bad thing because there is an influx of wealth moving into this country.
My point was that demand from domestic students would likely decline; our universities are still mostly filled with domestic students. Haven't heard the counterargument for why that portion won't be affected.....not clear on why this forum only focuses on international students.

My last sentence about foreign demand for Canadian university demand being relatively inelastic aligns perfectly with your post so I'm not entirely sure why you framed your post as disagreeing with me.

"their ultimate motive is to get their Canadian passport" is true for some but not all. Believe it or not, but western universities are considered to be very respectable in eastern societies such as India and China. Many fully intend to move back. So while foreign student demand won't be impacted as domestic I'd still expect there to be a reduction if online becomes more reputable. I can only imagine that this allure will fade with time, however.

As an aside, I'm sure that all of the local young families who can't afford real estate are just THRILLED at all of the "wealth" coming into Canada. Sure, their life is substantially more difficult than it would have been 20 years ago but some other Canadian got a little bit richer....so who cares, right?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3448 posts
1379 upvotes
Silver1234 wrote: there is an influx of wealth moving into this country.
THIS +1

We rather have money coming in than money going out.

Students contribute to the local economies greatly, even better if they're 'wealthy'. The more they spend, the more it supports jobs in construction, retail, food, manufacturing etc.

Buying up Canadian property is not all negative, it drives growth and wealth of communities.

Rent prices going down might happen, but that would probably be short term.
Jul 8, 2017
625 posts
689 upvotes
NA
VanByTheRiver wrote: As an aside, I'm sure that all of the local young families who can't afford real estate are just THRILLED at all of the "wealth" coming into Canada. Sure, their life is substantially more difficult than it would have been 20 years ago but some other Canadian got a little bit richer....so who cares, right?
So what's the difference between local parents giving down payment to their kids to buy their first property vs international students parents giving money to their kids to buy a property in Canada, both are from the bank of mom & dad, what's the point of discriminating the other as long as this money are here to stay.
Oct 31, 2019
244 posts
235 upvotes
Silver1234 wrote: So what's the difference between local parents giving down payment to their kids to buy their first property vs international students parents giving money to buy a property in Canada, both are from the bank of mom & dad, what's the point of discriminate the other as long as this money are here to stay.
It compounds the wealth divide. It's hard enough when the majority of young Canadians require the bank of mom and dad, but when we're adding foreign wealth to the demand side of the equation then the bar is raised even further.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1421 posts
1437 upvotes
GTA
VanByTheRiver wrote: It compounds the wealth divide. It's hard enough when the majority of young Canadians require the bank of mom and dad, but when we're adding foreign wealth to the demand side of the equation then the bar is raised even further.
Today's foreign students = tomorrow's citizen. Never forget that; especially when world leaders explicitly make immigration a central theme of their term.

The government doesn't care that you can't afford a house, they only care that there is a roof available over your head.

Lastly, there will never be a shortage of domestic students lining up to go to an A school. All of the Ontario based Universities are expanding their footprints. COVID-19 hasn't changed those plans.