• May 23rd, 2011 11:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16161 posts
773 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!

CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE, thoughts?

Hi, I recently have been in the market for watches and I wanna go green. So what is RFD's thoughts and opinions on Citizen's Eco-Drive watches?

Link here

Do they really last forever? if so i'd get one.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
53 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
Complete marketing.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Jan 21, 2005
125 posts
Mississauga, ON
I've had my Titanium Skyhawk for 4 years now...Stored it for over 1 year-no sun and the time pops back up losing only 10 seconds. I only regret that it does not have a back light for night viewing. However, I love my Solar G-Shock!
[IMG]http://watchzworld.com/images/GW1200BA-1AV.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1334 posts
41 upvotes
ECO-Drive and others such as Seiko Kinetic all work fine. The whole point is not to replace the crystal or battery ever. The other features you may want to look at are those watches that keep track of days and/or time when the watch is 'out of power'. This beats setting your watch when you recharge your watch.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16161 posts
773 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
So should I get one or what? Also is this "eco-drive" thing for Citizen only? what is the equivalent for other brand name watches?
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7658 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Pulsar (same ownership as Citizen I believe) "Solar" titanium watch. I've had it for almost 10 years now. I don't wear it anymore but I just checked it out, still ticking. Have never had to change the battery/have it serviced.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1334 posts
41 upvotes
For the purpose of going 'green'.. I suggest you don't bother with any wristwatch. Yes, many of these 'eco-drive' and 'kinetic' watches don't require battery or crystal replacement but that doesn't mean its actually eco-friendly or 'green'. Its a marketing term for the industry so consumers don't have to bother with battery changes.

With the amount of metals used in watches and parts that are probably not biodegradable I wouldn't bother going 'green' with these wristwatches.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Hybrid's right...consumption != green. The less you consume the better.
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16161 posts
773 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
thanks for the input guys.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
46 upvotes
Burnaby
rock hard wrote: I'm another fan of my Casio G-Shock. I've had a Wavecepter/Tough Solar for about 2 years... amazing watch + with the solar cell and radio updates every night, haven't lost a beat.

Jesse
+1

heres mine
except mine is in blue
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19824 posts
2585 upvotes
The whole eco drive thing being better for the environment is a bunch of baloney. It's another case of "greenwashing" as someone in another thread put it - marketing based environmental concern without actually meaning anything.

It has a solar charged "energy cell" - what is that made of? Is it chemically toxic? Who knows!

If you want a watch that will last forever and never need a battery, get an old fashioned mechanical mechanism and wind it every morning.

Otherwise, accept the fact that the watch has an impact, but don't worry too much about it because it is very very small when you take into account any watch (even a $5 special from Walmart) s going to last you 5 or more years.

Pretty much every piece of clothing on your body right now has a larger impact on the environment than your watch when you consider its construction costs and relatively short longevity. When was the last time you had a pair f pants you regularly wore last longer than 5 years?

The moral - spend some coin, buy a nice decent watch that will last, and keep it as long as feasible. Regardless of how it works the fact that you are not replacing it makes you more green than someone who buys a new "eco watch" every few years to keep up with the fashion.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jun 21, 2005
358 posts
155 upvotes
I have a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. I didn't buy it for any environmental benefit, I bought it because I wanted a good dress watch, and I hate the cost and hassle of replacing batteries.
The environmental benefit of these watches (solar, automatic, etc) is probably small, but real. Yes, the solar watches have an 'energy cell', a capacitor of some sort. I'm not an expert, but it is reasonable to assume that the 'energy cell' has roughly the same impact of a battery. This should never have to be replaced. A battery will be replaced a number of times over the life of a watch. Consider the impact of the battery itself, packaging and transporting the battery to retail, gas to drive to the store to buy the battery... A small but real benefit.
Aug 27, 2005
183 posts
166 upvotes
it never keeps the date accurate...my husband has one and it's the biggest issue. He never knows what the day or date is. Very , very annoying. Great deal at Costco though
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21100 posts
5771 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Beautiful watch. Mine came from Costco and it does not have any issues keeping the date or time.

Compared to digital watches it is somewhat annoying to set, especially when the daylight savings time switches over.
- casual gastronomist -
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
I have couple eco-drives. Great watches. The eco-drive does work. It is smart technology. The watch will go into standby if it is kept out of light, but spring back into action once light hits the crystal. There are many other great features available as well, such as the Duratect titantium casing. Highly scratch resistant and tough finish.

kritafo wrote: it never keeps the date accurate...my husband has one and it's the biggest issue. He never knows what the day or date is. Very , very annoying. Great deal at Costco though

Does he have a perpetual calendar watch? I suspect so. a perpetual calendar WILL keep the right day/date if properly set. But, if it is not set right to begin with, it can go sideways quickly.

A perpetual calendar tracks the number of days in each month (handy for February and 30 day months), and leap years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9232 posts
2264 upvotes
+2 for Citizen. Mine had a dead rechargeable cell that would no longer hold the charge after a year and they still replaced it for free.