CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE, thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2011 11:17 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18052 posts
10855 upvotes
Ottawa
Hybrid88 wrote: ECO-Drive and others such as Seiko Kinetic all work fine. The whole point is not to replace the crystal or battery ever.

Agree. Citizen and Seiko have been making these self powered watches WAY before anybody thought about marketing eco friendly products.

The reason you WANT a Citizen is not because it's more environmentally friendly....even though it is. But because you never have to have the hassle of changing batteries. It's nice to know that your watch won't stop on you at some random moment.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2949 posts
91 upvotes
BC
I got my Eco-Drive watch about two years ago and I love it, best watch I have ever owned. The crystal is amazingly strong compared to some other watches I have had. It's a titanium divers watch and is really light, some scratches on it from regular use (Although I thought titanium was supposed to be an extremely hard substance according to Moh's scale, but perhaps they don't use 100% pure titanium. I wear it daily and love it, I'll be buying another one soon!

As for the whole Eco-Drive part, I don't think they are marketing it as "green", because a watch isn't really a polluter of our environment for obvious reasons (unless someone has a gas powered wrist watch....).

But I think by Eco-Drive is meant that it is driven by the sun or any light source (which it is since it uses a solar panel to charge the batery).

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English ... AT0100-51A
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
Desolatax wrote: As for the whole Eco-Drive part, I don't think they are marketing it as "green", because a watch isn't really a polluter of our environment for obvious reasons (unless someone has a gas powered wrist watch....).

But I think by Eco-Drive is meant that it is driven by the sun or any light source (which it is since it uses a solar panel to charge the batery).

No, eco-drive isn't the most "green" way to go. After-all, they do have batteries.

If you really want to go green, get an automatic (self-winding mechanical watch). Maybe Rolex should market themselves as the "green" watch company :)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18052 posts
10855 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote: If you want accuracy, stick with a Quartz powered watch.
Are you implying that Citizens are not quartz?

Citizen Eco Drive *are* quartz watches. They are no different than other quartz watches except the battery is recharged by light
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Jun 21, 2005
358 posts
155 upvotes
bythehour wrote: No, eco-drive isn't the most "green" way to go. After-all, they do have batteries.

If you really want to go green, get an automatic (self-winding mechanical watch). Maybe Rolex should market themselves as the "green" watch company :)

Funny you should mention that. I just added a Swatch Automatic to my Citizen Eco-Drive. Unfortunately having more than one watch is definitely NOT green. I bought it because I've always wanted a 'skeleton' watch, and I can actually afford the Swatch. It is not as accurate as the Eco-Drive. It runs rather fast, 1-2 minutes / week. It can be adjusted by a service center, so I may have to do that. Still, it is kinda fun to have a battery-free watch, especially one that has visible internal works. The flywheel always fascinates people when I show it to them.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16793 posts
5379 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: Are you implying that Citizens are not quartz?

Citizen Eco Drive *are* quartz watches. They are no different than other quartz watches except the battery is recharged by light
Sorry, I guess I should clarify. I was referring to the comments about Automatic watches and lack of accuracy. Quartz watches generally are more accurate and less maintenance then automatic watches.

One thing I was told by friends, is that when the battery on the Eco Drive goes, it is not cheap to fix. A regular quartz watch is more cost effective.
Aug 13, 2008
2 posts
Victoria
Had one for three years - has worked fine. But now the strap is broken and I am having one hell of a time to find a replacement. Model is 270767. Any help would be welcome.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9255 posts
2320 upvotes
I bought one used through RFD and had to have it's rechargeable battery replaced during the warranty period and they did it without any problems. Very stylish watch. Check out the hot deals section for a costco coupon mention of $65 off (for executive members).
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Banned
Jul 6, 2009
1 posts
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: Hi, I recently have been in the market for watches and I wanna go green. So what is RFD's thoughts and opinions on Citizen's Eco-Drive watches?

Link here

Do they really last forever? if so i'd get one.
In my opinion, Citizen's Eco-Drive watches are the quality choice. Citizen Watches are popular for their reliability and durability.
Jun 15, 2009
749 posts
206 upvotes
I bought Eco-Drive at Costco for just around $100 on sale. It does not have a lot of features, but I bought it because it was a very nice looking watch by a reputable manufacturer with a very small price tag (some of the other watches I looked at started at $300). For environment I think it's all BS as you still have a battery and nothing really changes except less frequent battery replacements. That being said I do like the idea of a watch utilizing solar power just from a "cool gadget" perspective.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3518 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I got my Seiko Kinetic in mid 2001 as an engagement gift. It's been a wonderful thing not to ever worry about changing batteries.
Jun 3, 2005
196 posts
Thornhill
Got my Citizen Titanium EcoDrive from Ebay ( brand new ) from Singapore about 7 years ago as a gift for my dad by he never wears it. Was sitting in a drawer for a few years. Gave it some sunlight, and came back to life. Definitely would recommend. I Love the Titanium finish
- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity -Albert Einstein
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1327 posts
68 upvotes
St. John's
bmw_xperience wrote: http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English ... JY0005-50E

got this for Christmas, it is a really good watch with newer tech than other watches ie. Radio controlled, it can sync time so u don't have to adjust it yourself.
I've got the stainless steel version. I absolutely love it! Coolest thing is that it's radio controlled, like you said: receives a tower signal every morning and syncs up perfectly - never a need to adjust the time, or change a battery!

[IMG]http://www.gemday.com/pic2/jy0000-53e_feature.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17022 posts
4810 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Barayolayosa wrote: I've got the stainless steel version. I absolutely love it! Coolest thing is that it's radio controlled, like you said: receives a tower signal every morning and syncs up perfectly - never a need to adjust the time, or change a battery!

[IMG]http://www.gemday.com/pic2/jy0000-53e_feature.jpg[/IMG]
Hold up, battery will need to be replaced in a few years. ;)