• Jun 22nd, 2018 1:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2143 posts
222 upvotes

City called, asking if anyone lives in my house

I've got the keys to my new house about the start of 2018. I'm yet to move in though. I've been away on vacation for about a month and received a voice-mail while away from the city. She said they were doing meter checks and I have 0 usage since February 2018. I assume this is water usage as this is the only thing the city provides. Should I just call the city and tell them I've been away on vacation, hence no water usage? Don't like how they monitor the house though. Is there any concern in this matter. This is my principal residence. Planning to move in next month.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19685 posts
23064 upvotes
GTA
reggyDeal wrote: I've got the keys to my new house about the start of 2018. I'm yet to move in though. I've been away on vacation for about a month and received a voice-mail while away from the city. She said they were doing meter checks and I have 0 usage since February 2018. I assume this is water usage as this is the only thing the city provides. Should I just call the city and tell them I've been away on vacation, hence no water usage? Don't like how they monitor the house though. Is there any concern in this matter. This is my principal residence. Planning to move in next month.
LOL, you'd prefer they didn't monitor your water usage? Do you have someone keeping the lawn and house in good shape? Odd that you've owned a house for 6 months and haven't moved in yet. Hopefully you don't have any squatters when you get back.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1988 posts
479 upvotes
'sauga
Hey, you could be the guy in my neighborhood who bought a place in Feb. and it's still empty. Grass is about waist-high, birds are loving nesting in eavestroughs. The next-door neighbors are thrilled...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24365 upvotes
Center of Universe
They asked you if it's insulated and to the best of your knowledge, as per bill of sale...YES!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9963 upvotes
Edmonton
vkizzle wrote: They asked you if it's insulated and to the best of your knowledge, as per bill of sale...YES!
Wrong thread, I believe... :)

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24365 upvotes
Center of Universe
CNeufeld wrote: Wrong thread, I believe... :)

C
Whoa...what happened here?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9963 upvotes
Edmonton
vkizzle wrote: Whoa...what happened here?
Remember...It's Oct 17, 2018...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24365 upvotes
Center of Universe
CNeufeld wrote: Remember...It's Oct 17, 2018...

C
Signing out of RFD for the rest of the day...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12131 posts
7312 upvotes
Paris
There will be a non-occupancy tax coming. Or they think you are meter scamming.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12131 posts
7312 upvotes
Paris
Also, where is this house? I could use a vacation and could house sit!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4947 upvotes
GTA
Just tell them you shower at work.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3558 posts
1693 upvotes
Ottawa
reggyDeal wrote: I've got the keys to my new house about the start of 2018. I'm yet to move in though. I've been away on vacation for about a month and received a voice-mail while away from the city. She said they were doing meter checks and I have 0 usage since February 2018. I assume this is water usage as this is the only thing the city provides. Should I just call the city and tell them I've been away on vacation, hence no water usage? Don't like how they monitor the house though. Is there any concern in this matter. This is my principal residence. Planning to move in next month.
I don't know where you live, but in Ottawa, they do something similar, except if it's a letter.

If you don't call back (or they just act to fast), they assume the meter has been tampered with / is malfunctioning and they send a bill with estimated usage for that time period based on historical usage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)