City of Hamilton parking ticket for someone in Ottawa

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 9:07 am
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
166 posts
39 upvotes

City of Hamilton parking ticket for someone in Ottawa

I live in Ottawa and I saw a parking violation notice in my mail box today. Strangely I have never been to Hamilton before!! and don't even know where the location of violation is.... Do I have to pay this? Definitely not possible to dispute since its asking me to appear in person and this place is almost 500 KMS from where I live.

Planning to ignore as when I see their tickets page none of the samples provided resembles to this, but all other information seems to be legitimate.
https://www.hamilton.ca/streets-transpo ... our-ticket

Strangely enough the date the ticket was printed matches my birthday. Hope its not a 'flaw' in their system treating themselves on everyones birthday.
MaskedTicket.jpg
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32332 posts
6230 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Did the licence plate match?

You can ignore, but if your sticker renewal comes due and you can't renew, you'll know why
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5383 posts
2949 upvotes
Toronto
dskum wrote: I live in Ottawa and I saw a parking violation notice in my mail box today. Strangely I have never been to Hamilton before!! and don't even know where the location of violation is.... Do I have to pay this? Definitely not possible to dispute since its asking me to appear in person and this place is almost 500 KMS from where I live.

Planning to ignore as when I see their tickets page none of the samples provided resembles to this, but all other information seems to be legitimate.
https://www.hamilton.ca/streets-transpo ... our-ticket

Strangely enough the date the ticket was printed matches my birthday. Hope its not a 'flaw' in their system treating themselves on everyones birthday.

MaskedTicket.jpg
Why don't you try calling the number listed?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
166 posts
39 upvotes
Gee wrote: Did the licence plate match?

You can ignore, but if your sticker renewal comes due and you can't renew, you'll know why
Yes, license plates matches.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
166 posts
39 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Why don't you try calling the number listed?
Going to try, but being a city number, dont know if they will even care and repeat the same thing to come in person.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32332 posts
6230 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dskum wrote: Yes, license plates matches.
Maybe you weren't in Hamilton, but was your car there on January 27?
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
166 posts
39 upvotes
Gee wrote: Maybe you weren't in Hamilton, but was your car there on January 27?
: ) Good thought but no one except me drives it. Not even my wife since its a manual. It also was in my driveway at 6:48 AM (3 hours after ticket time) based on my security camera's earliest snapshot. And no, its not a Tesla to drive itself back, even if it did, takes 5.5 hours to reach from there to my home!!

Planning to call them Monday first thing.. will see how it goes. Don't know if Hamilton captures photo as part of violation process so they can double check the actual violated number again. Hopefully its not a duplicated. I don't know what else I can do to fight this.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24843 posts
4127 upvotes
Just call them and ask them to compare the car description. It won't match. They'll likely withdraw it. That's what happened to me.

This happens when a license plate number is entered wrong.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote: Just call them and ask them to compare the car description. It won't match. They'll likely withdraw it. That's what happened to me.

This happens when a license plate number is entered wrong.
Tickets will only have license plate numbers for identification.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24843 posts
4127 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Tickets will only have license plate numbers for identification.
The ticket issuer should have it in his notes. That was the case when a ticket was accidentally signed to my car. They reached out to him then withdrew the ticket
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote: The ticket issuer should have it in his notes. That was the case when a ticket was accidentally signed to my car. They reached out to him then withdrew the ticket
I did not know they had to take notes for every ticket they issue.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
1547 posts
10 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I did not know they had to take notes for every ticket they issue.
Where I worked previously they took photos of every vehicle (including the plate) that was issued a ticket because people would often come back saying that wasn't their car, even when the plate matched. The ministry database that they used to look up the address does hold info on make, model and colour.
Jun 11, 2006
67 posts
112 upvotes
Lakefield
Contact them and there should be no problem clearing this up. years ago I use to get a ticket from Toronto for a parking ticket that was unpaid. This was many months after the ticket was issued so there were penalties too. Turns out it for my Jaguar with a personalized plate. Car was in storage for the winter with the wheels off. It was cleared but the next year it happened again so I suspended the plate when I stored the car.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24843 posts
4127 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I did not know they had to take notes for every ticket they issue.
If the only evidence was plate and nothing else, it would be easy to suggest in court that the officer made a mistake while entering the plate. There needs to be a picture or description of the vehicle too.

That's not to say it's a legal requirement, but it seems to be the case in most jurisdictions.

It was definitely the case when I was a by-law officer many years ago, although I did not write tickets.