Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2207 posts
246 upvotes
Kitchener

City problem or my issue?

I have a cottage in Chatham Kent and I have an issue that I believe the city should fix. The side road we are on has several sewer grates. The grates are connected to each other and the road is elevated on one end. The sewer doesn't go anywhere else though. It is more like a hold tank.

When it rains the water collects in the sewer grates and runs to the lowest point. Unfortunately the lowest point is right beside my door. The water flows out of the grate and right in my cottage.

I think the road is private but I have to find out (we plow it in the winter). I'd rather cover up the sewer grates all together if they won't dig it up and put in proper drainage. I'm going to call the city tomorrow and find out who owns the road and who's responsible. If they say it's my issue then I should be able to cover it right? What are your thoughts?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2793 posts
1804 upvotes
Toronto
If you own the cottage, you have a survey that should describe the road allowance. Who maintains the road - i.e. puts new gravel down, fixes pavement or whatever? Do you pay into a "road association"?

What will covering up the grates accomplish? The water is still going to flow towards your front door. Sounds like a massive regrading issue on your property that needs to be done.

I'd bet a) it's a private road that you have deeded access to and b) the previous owners put the grates in themselves trying to capture typical rainfall before it runs across the ground to the cottage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2207 posts
246 upvotes
Kitchener
torontotim wrote: If you own the cottage, you have a survey that should describe the road allowance. Who maintains the road - i.e. puts new gravel down, fixes pavement or whatever? Do you pay into a "road association"?

What will covering up the grates accomplish? The water is still going to flow towards your front door. Sounds like a massive regrading issue on your property that needs to be done.

I'd bet a) it's a private road that you have deeded access to and b) the previous owners put the grates in themselves trying to capture typical rainfall before it runs across the ground to the cottage.
We have an easement with a number of other people. I agree the water would still come towards my house because I'm lower. But if the grate is covered then I have a chance the water would travel down the road and spread to the grass areas. Instead it is being collected by the sewer system and dumped right at my door.

Attached is a picture where I know two grates are. There is likely.ore but I haven't gone looking. Run off water could go to the grasses or other properties. If the sewer would drain somewhere that would be great. But instead it just holds water and never goes away.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200720-061120_Maps.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2793 posts
1804 upvotes
Toronto
Ah - that's a different sort of place than I was thinking of. I'd check with the municipality as you were thinking originally.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1220 posts
900 upvotes
HAMILTON
that does not appear to be something that a town would have installed.

Is a make shift ground water control system.

SInce you pay for snow removal, do you also pay for road maintenance ? Are there dues payable for the development.

I would not think that this is a town problem buy a problem for the area in which you reside. Consult with your neighbors to see where this water collection idea came from, etc