• Nov 23rd, 2011 4:33 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO

City of Toronto Recruitment Question

Hey Guys!

First post on this site and it seems like this is an excellent community. If you don't mind, I have my first question.

I have recently applied to a position posted with the City of Toronto. Although it has not yet been two weeks since the deadline, I have yet to hear anything from them.

Yesterday, I was looking at my Linkedin profile and realized that the HR Manager for the City of Toronto had viewed my profile. I'm just wondering what this may mean?

Is anyone familiar with the process? Is this a good sign? Do you think I'll get a call soon?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm really hoping it works out for me.

Thanks in Advance!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2022 posts
1095 upvotes
Etobicoke
Desperate for a city job i take it?
Somebody looked at your resume and did some further digging. They may call you, they may not; there is alot of job uncertainty in the city so all you can do is keep looking and hope for the best, just like every other job.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
If I may, the City of Toronto is the last place you want to work right now.

On a more positive note. If the City HR Manager has looked at your profile, that's a pretty damn big deal. City of Toronto unfilled positions are the first to go to meet budget cutbacks, and new hires are going to have to be justified like no tomorrow. In general, public sector hiring processes are slow - there are a lot of checks and balances that have to be met before they can go make calls for interviews. Generally, if you're called back before 1 month from the closing date, you're doing really well. I've had call backs anywhere from 3 to 6 months after the posting closes.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
91 upvotes
Nowhere
Was going to chime in earlier.

As others said, those external and other empty positions will be on chopping block (though promising that the position was even posted but they could just randomly not fill it even if they accept applications) and even if you are being considered expect to wait months. That is how internal and external recruiting goes in the City of Ottawa. You apply. The competition closes. You will not hear anything about interviews for 3+ months.

Likewise here in the City of Ottawa, internally there are dozens of vacated positions and none are being filled because of budget considerations. Keep in mind even if it went external, assuming it is a unionized job (though even if it is not) they will give some preference to those already in the city.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure how the recruitment process worked and just needed some further insight. The general consensus that I have gotten is to be prepared to wait; this is an awful shame as I am going stir crazy at this point. I recently moved to Toronto from Montreal and the job market here is much more congested. I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to knowing which companies are right for me or even what field I would like to go into. I am willing to wait until something enjoyable comes up, but I want to make sure it was worth the wait. Does anybody have any recommendations for someone with a strong sales, admin assistant, and customer service background? Suggesting a reputable company or a different careers focus would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Aug 26, 2009
352 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
sorry i have nothing to add on this question but i was wondering how do u check who has viewed ur profile on linkedin??
[OP]
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
rexplosive9 wrote: sorry i have nothing to add on this question but i was wondering how do u check who has viewed ur profile on linkedin??

It will be on the right hand side of your main profile page under "who's viewed your profile?"
[OP]
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
superbowl405 wrote: Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure how the recruitment process worked and just needed some further insight. The general consensus that I have gotten is to be prepared to wait; this is an awful shame as I am going stir crazy at this point. I recently moved to Toronto from Montreal and the job market here is much more congested. I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to knowing which companies are right for me or even what field I would like to go into. I am willing to wait until something enjoyable comes up, but I want to make sure it was worth the wait. Does anybody have any recommendations for someone with a strong sales, admin assistant, and customer service background? Suggesting a reputable company or a different careers focus would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Any advice from anyone?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4944 posts
1625 upvotes
Unless you actually receive a call to go in for an interview then assume nothing. Actually, I think the City of Toronto makes people write a test first? Regardless, it's still meaningless until they call you.
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: Unless you actually receive a call to go in for an interview then assume nothing. Actually, I think the City of Toronto makes people write a test first? Regardless, it's still meaningless until they call you.

depending on the position, there's generally some skills testing involved if you get called in off your application. they can elect not to interview you if your marks from the test don't meet x/y/z/ cut-off.

honestly, best way to get a job remains the tried tested and true way of knocking on doors, networking, volunteering to add to your local experience. from my own experience, i would never expect to get a public sector job on a timely/as-needed basis.
Oct 16, 2008
576 posts
16 upvotes
City budgets and unions work in strange ways when it comes to unfilled positions.

All departments have their own budgets that they have to maintain, and that includes monies for unfilled positions. Now, if an unfilled position remains unfilled for a period of time (lets say after the fiscal year end), the department may be in jeopardy of losing the funding for that position. If it is not during the fiscal year end, then that position is "generally" safe.

As for overall city budgeting and staff cuts, yes, vacant positions are those that go, but also the temp positions and the auxillary staff go as well. Attrition accounts for some. Not being from TO and not knowing the mind of your Mayor Ford, who knows what's up his sleeve. There are ingenious ways for departments to "find" funds to save a position, if they really want to keep it, which most will anyways. Usually cutting positions involves the union and if it is in the middle of contract negotiations, the city would most likely tread lightly on doing that.
I used to be me!
[OP]
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Anyone have any additional input based on my qualifications?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)