Hot Deals

[City of Toronto] Toronto - $35 dog licence, rabies shot, and microchip ($25 for cats). Last one Oct 9

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 8:44 am
Oct 27, 2006
703 posts
89 upvotes
The letter T is right beside the letter R on the keyboard.....lol
Oct 28, 2005
352 posts
136 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 4:51 pm
I inquired about the City of Vaughan rabies shot clinic, and they only adminster the 1 yr rabies vaccine. I would rather get my dog vaccinated at the vet with the 3 yr vaccine, since it's supposedly the same vaccine but marketed differently, and I avoid my dog getting side effects from being over vaccinated. I would guess that the City of Toronto rabies vaccine is also the 1 yr shot.
My dog got his last rabies shot 3 years ago from the Toronto Humane Society and that was a 3 yr vaccine. This is a 1 yr vaccine(from the website).
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1907 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Whatever money you save will be easily taken back many times over by taxes (aka pet license fees).
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7608 posts
3778 upvotes
ON
How many RFDrs are teaching their dog to meow and save 10$ on licensing ?
Mar 21, 2015
14 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Good deal. Our dogs need rabbies booster, which I've been avoiding because the vet wanted $88/ea just for an "examination fee" + $45/ea rabies shot. $300 vs. $20, easy choice (we have the licenses already).
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1156 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
bblinky wrote:
May 6th, 2019 6:19 pm
Good deal. Our dogs need rabbies booster, which I've been avoiding because the vet wanted $88/ea just for an "examination fee" + $45/ea rabies shot. $300 vs. $20, easy choice (we have the licenses already).
Pets can be expensive. Last dog medical bill my parents shared for some sort of routine medicine was $400! Just want to point out that it's a long term investment.
Aug 1, 2006
518 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
shamans wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:08 am
Pets can be expensive. Last dog medical bill my parents shared for some sort of routine medicine was $400! Just want to point out that it's a long term investment.
Agree, if you want the best for your pet, get the 3 yr vaccine at a vet. It's not good to vaccinate your pet more than you have to. This is a 1 yr vaccine.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1686 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
scott_newsgroup wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:40 pm
You could be in for some fun if your cat:

- escapes your home / apartment (without a chip or tag, the chance of recovery is slim).
- scratches or bites a visitor to your home (while having a license won't protect you, not having a license will give the impression that you are not a responsible pet owner).
Absolutely ridiculous. Get your cat microchipped separately, a license has nothing to do with recovery. Who's going to sue you for getting scratched or bitten by a cat *as a guest in your home*? It's a huge stretch to say that not having a license makes you an irresponsible owner and to have that hold up in any official or legal manner.

I own two cats, never even knew about city licensing bylaws until a decade into their lives. Was never brought up by any of the several vets we've visited or even when we adopted them. It is a complete cash grab by the city, there's no benefit to the owner outside of complying with bylaws.
Jan 20, 2005
479 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
generaltao99 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:22 am
Absolutely ridiculous. Get your cat microchipped separately, a license has nothing to do with recovery. Who's going to sue you for getting scratched or bitten by a cat *as a guest in your home*? It's a huge stretch to say that not having a license makes you an irresponsible owner and to have that hold up in any official or legal manner.

I own two cats, never even knew about city licensing bylaws until a decade into their lives. Was never brought up by any of the several vets we've visited or even when we adopted them. It is a complete cash grab by the city, there's no benefit to the owner outside of complying with bylaws.
Brush-up on your reading skills. I specifically stated that the CHIP or TAG affects recovery.

Regarding licensing your animal: it is required in Toronto.

And yes, if you get into a legal battle with someone, you can be assured that the plaintiff's lawyer will mention that the pet is unlicensed (which will definitely affect the Court's perception of you as a pet owner). If your animal bites someone, all they have to do is prove that you are negligent. What better way to reduce (or establish) your credibility in court, than to show that your pet is unlicensed. Vets don't care about licensing, because it's not their job to police irresponsible owners. Bylaws are laws - they are not there to provide you with 'benefits' as you indicate...

Either way - it's up to you. You now know it's a bylaw, and if you choose to circumvent it - go ahead!

Whatever you think, the OP's post was legit, and actually a very good deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2060 posts
325 upvotes
RE: dog fees. Why does it matter if the dog has been neutered or not?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1686 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
scott_newsgroup wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 9:35 am
Brush-up on your reading skills. I specifically stated that the CHIP or TAG affects recovery.
And yet you made that comment in response to someone asking about licensing. Brush up on your writing skills and learn to address points correctly. :rolleyes:
Regarding licensing your animal: it is required in Toronto.

And yes, if you get into a legal battle with someone, you can be assured that the plaintiff's lawyer will mention that the pet is unlicensed (which will definitely affect the Court's perception of you as a pet owner). If your animal bites someone, all they have to do is prove that you are negligent. What better way to reduce (or establish) your credibility in court, than to show that your pet is unlicensed. Vets don't care about licensing, because it's not their job to police irresponsible owners. Bylaws are laws - they are not there to provide you with 'benefits' as you indicate...
Since we're playing armchair lawyers, you know what's a great defense against being accused of negligence? Not being negligent. Don't let your cats roam wildly outside or out of your supervision, don't let guests in your home get to the point of being attacked by your cat, give plenty of escape routes to your cats to retreat into a safe space, learn to read and act according to your pet's body language in stressful situations, don't be hostile, threatening, aggressive, negligent with your pet to cause them to react negatively towards humans, take them to the vet regularly to ensure no physical problems will cause behavioral issues, etc etc. But yeah sure, I'll be characterized as a negligent owner because I don't pay my pet tax to the city.

And yes many laws/bylaws are enacted to benefit the populace, often in terms of managing order and safety. The city's pet licensing regulation is more akin to *greedy* taxation as it does nothing to benefit the property it regulates nor protect the people complying with it.

Edit: you know what, I take it back. Licensing your pet does give you access to https://www.toronto.ca/community-people ... -partners/ which does provide some benefit for first time vet visits and other services, which is an incentive that can also benefit the health of the pet. Still not paying that licensing fee myself.
Whatever you think, the OP's post was legit, and actually a very good deal.
I never said the OP wasn't a good deal, just addressing the value of licensing and responding specifically your absurd scenario. The rabies shot alone is a great deal compared to a vet visit. The value of having your info in the city's database and being obligated to renew your license is questionable.
Mar 27, 2015
78 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would it work for Mississauga owned dog?
May 7, 2018
65 posts
40 upvotes
elfion wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 3:14 pm
#1 is solved by getting a microchip. #2 is solved by getting shots, and (obviously) training your dog properly. both of these things are completely unrelated to licensing.
your dog biting someone would give an impression that you are not a responsible pet owner. not the fact that you don't have a licence. the city is a horrible horrible organization, wasting money left and right. there is absolutely no reason why anyone should volunteer to pay them anything. ever. in fact, giving the City money is irresponsible. once I wanted to ask for a digital copy of the utilities bill. so I wanted a PDF sent to my email every quarter because under my lease I was responsible for garbage and water payments. do you know what how much they quotes for this to be sent over paper letter? look it up. you will be shocked. their explanation - we have overhead costs. then look at the roads in the city. then look at the taxes in the city. the list goes on and on.

I literally got a knock at my door last night from my township (east gwillimbury) basically saying I have a dog and I have to pay $35 a year to license it or be fined $250.
if this isn't a cash grab, I don't know what is.

For those of you who care at all about wisely using their money, do not get microchips and shots from vets. We have amazing organization called Toronto Humane Society that provides neutering, shorts and microchips for very very fair rates (i.e. at cost). In addition to that, their team does literally thousands and thousands of these so I imagine that they are extremely skilled.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4699 posts
818 upvotes
Montreal
Does the city of Montreal have something similar? Thanks.
Dec 17, 2018
180 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not even in Toronto and this gets my upvote. That said, my dogs are rescues and are microchipped, spayed and fully vaccinated already.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)