• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 10:06 am
[OP]
Apr 27, 2021
200 posts
188 upvotes
Vaughan

City of Vaughan Shed Questions: Asking before building due to nasty neighbor

I have pretty nasty kind of neighbor that calls bylaw officer for everything.
I have not had any problem personally but I was warned before moving to the area.

Anyway, I rather be safe then sorry.

Shed is from Costco and size is 9 X 7 model with 7.4 feet in height (higest point)
Shed will be put on pavers which is same height as rest of the area.

I searched Shed bylaw for city of vaughan and found this

https://www.vaughan.ca/services/residen ... ucted%20on.

- The permitted area of a shed depends on the frontage of the lot.
- The shed must be located in the rear yard and set back from the property line 0.6 metres (about two feet).
- The height of the shed must not exceed 2.5 metres (about eight feet), which includes the height of the pad it is constructed on. If there is more than one shed on the property, contact Building Standards.

My questions are

- Do I need permit before building the shed?
- Requirement for shed in Toronto was 1 ft from property line. Looks like it's 2ft but I see almost all houses build their shed less than 1 ft from line (I can see around 6 houses who build like this.
- Anything else I should be worried about or do before building?

Thank you.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7206 posts
2812 upvotes
GTA
fmlydeals wrote: I have pretty nasty kind of neighbor that calls bylaw officer for everything.

Anyway, I rather be safe then sorry.

- Requirement for shed in Toronto was 1 ft from property line. Looks like it's 2ft but I see almost all houses build their shed less than 1 ft from line (I can see around 6 houses who build like this.
No permit required for a 63 sq ft shed but you should follow set back bylaws. Bylaw visits are complaint driven, I have a neighbours shed touching fence when I moved in....every shed in area is too close to property lines. I located my shed properly and its good thing I did, By Law officer showed up right after the shed was completed, he had a complaint and measured shed at both ends.
Just to be argumentive I asked how he could assume the fence was built on property line, they should do a survey (I have one)
Dec 25, 2018
689 posts
1277 upvotes
Call or email the city first, you may be able to get an inspector to come before you install to make sure you’re following all the rules before you do it, they would rather you inquire before and help you follow than after dealing with issues, YMMV depending on city
May 2, 2014
454 posts
170 upvotes
i dont think building code kicks in due to the small size of the shed, therefore no building permit required.

would the location of the shed be in conformity with zoning regulations (e.g. setbacks)? if not, you may need a minor variance to amend the regulations for your property.

you should contact the City to ensure conformity, specifically, the Building Division, City Planning and/or Committee of Adjustment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6786 posts
2806 upvotes
I think if you respect the 2ft setback from the property line you're good to go.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15822 posts
13280 upvotes
GTA, ON
And please do set it back 2ft. Damn neighbours in my area don't, probably 6-12 inches, and raccoons like to get in between them.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6239 posts
4594 upvotes
chimaican wrote: And please do set it back 2ft. Damn neighbours in my area don't, probably 6-12 inches, and raccoons like to get in between them.
Call/email the city first.

Your overhang (eaves, etc.) can encroach the 0.6m setback up to a certain point (maybe 0.3m, check Vaughan by-laws). So, just remember to factor that in.

edit: https://www.vaughan.ca/services/busines ... 3_2018.pdf Paragraph 4.1.1 (f)(v) - page 44. Setback is 0.6m and overhang can encroach up to 0.3m of the property line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7206 posts
2812 upvotes
GTA
The height of the shed must not exceed 2.5 metres (about eight feet), which includes the height of the pad it is constructed on. If there is more than one shed on the property, contact Building Standards.

I wonder if that's a misprint on Vaughn web page? ....many areas allow far higher sheds, for example max height is 4.5 metres (14' 7") in Whitby.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4885 posts
2421 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: The height of the shed must not exceed 2.5 metres (about eight feet), which includes the height of the pad it is constructed on. If there is more than one shed on the property, contact Building Standards.

I wonder if that's a misprint on Vaughn web page? ....many areas allow far higher sheds, for example max height is 4.5 metres (14' 7") in Whitby.
4.5 metres is pretty damn tall lol, wow
Dec 26, 2012
570 posts
475 upvotes
Hamilton
you're going to want that 2ft setback. it'll allow you to get back there with ease when the inevitable raccoon/skunk/possum/rat get back there and try to make a living.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4885 posts
2421 upvotes
Is that the reason for the setback?

For some reason I assumed it was to prevent rain runoff from going right to the neighbour's yard
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8010 posts
4951 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m also guessing the setback is to allow access for fence and/or shed maintanance.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7206 posts
2812 upvotes
GTA
Squirrel99 wrote: 4.5 metres is pretty damn tall lol, wow
Oshawa is the same. I know Toronto shed height is 2.5 metres max at the walls, then 3.7 metres max height measured at halfway point btw peak and the walls. That's why I suspect the Vaughan web page is a misprint, that the height is taken at walls if its 2.5 metres
14.5' isn't high for a shed roof peak
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4885 posts
2421 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Oshawa is the same. I know Toronto shed height is 2.5 metres max at the walls, then 3.7 metres max height measured at halfway point btw peak and the walls. That's why I suspect the Vaughan web page is a misprint, that the height is taken at walls if its 2.5 metres
14.5' isn't high for a shed roof peak
It's not a misprint