Tags:
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga

Cityfone experience?

Hi guys,

I'm currently with Koodo - 2gb/unlim.talk&text ($45 + tx)
I noticed a 'deal' at Cityfone (800 nat.wide minutes / 5gb data) for $40, less 10% = $36 if you bring your own phone. Also, another $100 (maybe?) off if you sign up for a 2yr. contract.
https://www.cityfone.net/promotion_offe ... onus-offer

Savings ~ $9 / month = $108 for the year + tx (+ extra 3gb data, which I may or may not even use).

------------------------------------

I'm in Southwestern Ontario and according to their coverage map I'll be fine.

But - what am I giving up here?
1. Speed throttle down to 3g?
2. Does not having VoLTE matter to you? (My Pixel 3a has this feature)
Last edited by Marc9999 on Jul 23rd, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14 replies
Aug 30, 2012
169 posts
83 upvotes
Cityfone Telecommunications Inc. is a Canadian cellular network service reseller owned by Rogers Communications which acquired it in 2010 .It operates under the Cityfone, Primus Wireless, Zoomer Wireless, and, most recently, SimplyConnect brand names. It only offers postpaid plans under each.Zoomer and Cityfone are same company. If you sign up for Zoomer, the phone is shipped from Rogers Cityfone and your credit card is billed by Cityfone.
Do a search on this forum for all comments regarding zoomer(cityfone)and you will find lots of info and many who love the service and discounts.
May 25, 2007
66 posts
71 upvotes
on
Marc9999 wrote: Hi guys,

I noticed a 'deal' at Cityfone (800 nat.wide minutes / 5gb data) for $40, less 10% = $36 if you bring your own phone. Also, another $100 (maybe?) off if you sign up for a 2yr. contract.

Savings ~ $9 / month = $108 for the year + tx (+ extra 3gb data, which I may or may not even use).

But - what am I giving up here? There must be something I'm going to miss - customer service maybe? Speed throttle?
I have been with Zoomer for 3 years and it has been great - For what I need it is the best deal around and the service is excellent since it uses Rogers Cell towers.
May 24, 2008
665 posts
244 upvotes
Edmonton ish
I just left Freedom yesterday for Zoomer. Better coverage for me for sure. The referral bonus helped as well for invoice credits. Weird thing it shows Cityfone on my device and I was expecting Zoomer but no matter.
Using the awesome Samsung Galaxy S20FE with Telus 5G 30gb x 5 lines at $38 per line and 1 home phone lite $20pm. I can't get a decent keyboard phone anymore Used to have Blackberry KEY2, Key1, Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36Gb.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
I suppose VoLTE or Wifi Calling aren't deal breakers? I'm sure I've used VoLTE on Koodo's network with a Pixel 3a, but whether the quality is much better than without, I'm not sure.
Jan 13, 2008
88 posts
23 upvotes
i got the sim card on monday, i will do the transfer of my existing Rogers to Cityfone (Rogers)
Sep 27, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
Is Cityfone full LTE speeds, or is it throttled down to 3G speeds like other sub brands such as Lucky and Public?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
EastToWest wrote: Is Cityfone full LTE speeds, or is it throttled down to 3G speeds like other sub brands such as Lucky and Public?
Exactly.

1.Hopefully someone can shed some light on the speed differences.

2. Also, how about VoLTE - do we lose access to that feature, if we go to a 'lesser' carrier?

------------------------------------------
If the features were identical - we'd all be jumping ship to go with discount carriers, so I'm curious to see what's the trade-off, in exchange for lots of data at a fair price.
Sorry I don't have an answer for you - as the OP - I'm looking for the same answer, which nobody has shed light on yet.

Edit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204039 Here's a useful link - I'll answer my own question - Cityfone does not provide WiFi calling, VoLTE, or Visual Voicemail which may or may not matter.
May 24, 2008
665 posts
244 upvotes
Edmonton ish
Here is some more useful information
https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/addons
Using the awesome Samsung Galaxy S20FE with Telus 5G 30gb x 5 lines at $38 per line and 1 home phone lite $20pm. I can't get a decent keyboard phone anymore Used to have Blackberry KEY2, Key1, Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36Gb.
Apr 16, 2008
520 posts
538 upvotes
Marc9999 wrote: Exactly.

1.Hopefully someone can shed some light on the speed differences.

2. Also, how about VoLTE - do we lose access to that feature, if we go to a 'lesser' carrier?

------------------------------------------
If the features were identical - we'd all be jumping ship to go with discount carriers, so I'm curious to see what's the trade-off, in exchange for lots of data at a fair price.
Sorry I don't have an answer for you - as the OP - I'm looking for the same answer, which nobody has shed light on yet.

Edit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204039 Here's a useful link - I'll answer my own question - Cityfone does not provide WiFi calling, VoLTE, or Visual Voicemail which may or may not matter.
1. Zoomer is full speed LTE data and you need to pay for overages if you exceed the plan.
2. They do not have VoLTE or wifi calling. The only disadvantage to lack of VoLTE is that when you are on a call and want to use your data at the same time, your data will be limited to 3G download speed. When the call is over, you bump back up to LTE speed. Some people think the call quality is different, but I hear no differences in quality.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1978 posts
1660 upvotes
Pickering
keefrto1 wrote: I just left Freedom yesterday for Zoomer. Better coverage for me for sure. The referral bonus helped as well for invoice credits. Weird thing it shows Cityfone on my device and I was expecting Zoomer but no matter.

This. I had my Zoomer sim, and Freedom sim, both active in different phones for about a week, testing the signals in areas I frequent most. It made me realize how much I was missing out on Freedom Mobile's service. Although Telus is still the strongest signal at my workplace, Zoomer does a more-than-capable job of holding a strong signal in most of the places I visit, daily. Strong coverage and network all around and minimal issues. My 'only' drawback, so far, is that Freedom has better coverage than Zoomer does through my basement, in Pickering.
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $66.5/45GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
May 24, 2008
665 posts
244 upvotes
Edmonton ish
Now that does surprise me about a better signal in the basement mine was trash. I will see how my zoomer does later today.
Feb 24, 2017
26 posts
19 upvotes
keefrto1 wrote: Now that does surprise me about a better signal in the basement mine was trash. I will see how my zoomer does later today.
There are exceptions to every rule. I have also found spots where Shaw Mobile (Freedom) is better than Rogers. But they're the exceptions that prove the rule.
Feb 24, 2017
26 posts
19 upvotes
Unless it's changed, I don't think Cityfone let's you stack both the BYOD and the 2-year contract discounts.
Jan 13, 2008
88 posts
23 upvotes
Marc9999 wrote: Hi guys,

But - what am I giving up here?
1. Speed throttle down to 3g?
2. Does not having VoLTE matter to you? (My Pixel 3a has this feature)
I have been with them since July, no complain, the customer service is really good.