• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2016 4:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3861 posts
4862 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
viv1971 wrote: Did you try calling Zoomer as post 647 suggests?
not yet, but 647 is for a person getting no data. My phone gets data, just gets it slower than a Fido phone right beside it.
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
raskal wrote: not yet, but 647 is for a person getting no data. My phone gets data, just gets it slower than a Fido phone right beside it.
Sorry, you are right, that person wasn't getting any data at all, I missed that. Maybe Riflem@n above is right...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1169 posts
919 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but can you bring your own device for discount?
Sep 4, 2013
168 posts
85 upvotes
Burnaby
Sitting in my bedroom with my work IPhone and personal Nexus 4. My work Iphone is with Rogers and gets LTE connection. Speedtest from my room clocked in at 10.9 down and 2.9 up. My Nexus 4 on the other hand doesn't support LTE so the best it gets is an H or 3G connection and does 1 down, 0.3 up. Will upgrade my personal phone to an LTE capable device sometime this year when I have the money.
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
dicecube wrote: Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but can you bring your own device for discount?
Not without taking their device.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2530 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
dicecube wrote: Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but can you bring your own device for discount?
You are probably already aware of this, but just in case: a lot of people take one of the phones offered by Zoomer and then sell it on Kijiji - thus reducing their overall costs
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
598 upvotes
Guelph
Yup. Just take one of there free phones, and sell it. Use the sim they give you for your current phone.
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
No hidden fees, instructions are easy to follow ☺
Bianco13 wrote: Hey guys,

My in-laws has been with Cityfone through RBC (couples plan) for over a year now, with absolutely no issues!! They lucked out by getting the 50% for 6 months and double your talk and data deal. At the time I was stupid for not jumping on that great deal. Thankfully, I stumbled on this thread in a Google search.

I have a couple of quick questions... Is there any hidden fees? Like a CARP membership or a Zoomer magazine subscription attached to this phone deal?

Also the "special instructions" via PM would be great... Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2744 posts
820 upvotes
West
balanor wrote: Sitting in my bedroom with my work IPhone and personal Nexus 4. My work Iphone is with Rogers and gets LTE connection. Speedtest from my room clocked in at 10.9 down and 2.9 up. My Nexus 4 on the other hand doesn't support LTE so the best it gets is an H or 3G connection and does 1 down, 0.3 up. Will upgrade my personal phone to an LTE capable device sometime this year when I have the money.
Did you try the Zoomer SIM card in your iPhone? To see if the speeds are the same as as Rogers SIM.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3861 posts
4862 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
WhatsTheRush wrote: Did you try the Zoomer SIM card in your iPhone? To see if the speeds are the same as as Rogers SIM.
Those phones use different sizes Sim cards, so I doubt he could
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
balanor wrote: Sitting in my bedroom with my work IPhone and personal Nexus 4. My work Iphone is with Rogers and gets LTE connection. Speedtest from my room clocked in at 10.9 down and 2.9 up. My Nexus 4 on the other hand doesn't support LTE so the best it gets is an H or 3G connection and does 1 down, 0.3 up. Will upgrade my personal phone to an LTE capable device sometime this year when I have the money.
ur nexus 4 can get rogers LTE if u flash an older radio hybrid modem... check XDA forums , shoud root and install franco kernel, u will get much better battery life , a modded nexus4 will beat out a stock iphone5 and its like 3times cheaper
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4312 upvotes
How much do you think the Toronto market price for the Samsung core lte will be towards the end of the promo?
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: How much do you think the Toronto market price for the Samsung core lte will be towards the end of the promo?
Wow, I just did a quick search on Kijiji for Galaxy Core in GTA, there is a lot of them there. I think that the price will go down quite a bit since the market is flooded with them. I'm guessing $100~$120....
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2530 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: How much do you think the Toronto market price for the Samsung core lte will be towards the end of the promo?
That's a really good question. In early December the asking price of the Galaxy Core LTE (new locked to Rogers) on Kijiji was approx. $200. I sold mine (after 10 days on Kijiji) for $175 in the Toronto area. A quick look this morning and it looks like people are asking around $150. There will probably be a lot of people signing up with Zoomer / Cityphone and the other affiliates as the promotion draws to an end. If a lot of them go for the Galaxy Core IMHO the price could go even lower. Very much YMMV!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35074 posts
21043 upvotes
Center of Universe
Which device did you take when signing up?
Though the Core LTE is an entry Android phone, it's LTE reported speed is pretty impressive.
Dec 17, 2011
70 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
raskal wrote: I have the exact same situation, came from Wind and my Nexus 5 gets slower speeds than a Fido phone right beside.

I think I'll try a factory reset and see if that helps
I changed my phone info preferred network type and did a reboot and it seems to be fine. Dial *#*#4636#*#* and check yours.

Speed test gives me 21Gb down and 2 Gb up
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
Could people that got their Galaxy Core LTE successfully unlocked from Zoomer (Rogers) post some info. Price, link etc.
Thank you.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2744 posts
820 upvotes
West
viv1971 wrote: Could people that got their Galaxy Core LTE successfully unlocked from Zoomer (Rogers) post some info. Price, link etc.
Thank you.
They won't unlock it for 90 days like every other carrier out there, I haven't checked price but my guess is it would be $50 (same as Rogers). You can unlock the Core LTE for $20 or less from a 3rd party but it may void the warranty doing so (samsung rep said it does void the warranty but I'm not 100% if that is for sure the case or not).
Jan 5, 2013
284 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener
WhatsTheRush wrote: They won't unlock it for 90 days like every other carrier out there, I haven't checked price but my guess is it would be $50 (same as Rogers). You can unlock the Core LTE for $20 or less from a 3rd party but it may void the warranty doing so (samsung rep said it does void the warranty but I'm not 100% if that is for sure the case or not).
Sorry, my question was not very clear. I was asking people that used a 3rd party to get the unlock code. I would never pay $50 to any provider... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8220 posts
1198 upvotes
TO
WhatsTheRush wrote: They won't unlock it for 90 days like every other carrier out there, I haven't checked price but my guess is it would be $50 (same as Rogers). You can unlock the Core LTE for $20 or less from a 3rd party but it may void the warranty doing so (samsung rep said it does void the warranty but I'm not 100% if that is for sure the case or not).
I was thinking the same, eBay or similar site may have unlock for cheaper
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent