[Cityphone.net] double data, minutes and text on any two year plan

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2016 4:17 pm
Tags:
Aug 27, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I agree that is a lot of data in a short time. I have now turned on wifi. Thanks for the tip. That is alot of data I agree. I don't view video's, and am not a heavy user either.

The CSR at Zoomer tried to tell me this phone is like a lamborgini and my blkiberry was like a honda with the gas comsumption. I said bull the phone shouldn't use that much data 2 days.
May 22, 2007
958 posts
152 upvotes
tdotmaca wrote: I agree that is a lot of data in a short time. I have now turned on wifi. Thanks for the tip. That is alot of data I agree. I don't view video's, and am not a heavy user either.

The CSR at Zoomer tried to tell me this phone is like a lamborgini and my blkiberry was like a honda with the gas comsumption. I said bull the phone shouldn't use that much data 2 days.
It's most likely FB and the auto-download/preview videos. The amount of data FB uses is crazy! The same with Instagram.
Aug 27, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I haven't even downloaded twitter on my new phone yet, and I am not on facebook. The only thing i set up on the Core phone was my contacts, and email. Nothing else. I think its aupdates. I checked it looks like google play uses alot, the app store.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2530 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
Blair604 wrote: yep, the phone has an auto update function that may be turned on which will use data instead of wifi. you should be able to select wifi updates only.
That'a a really good point....if the phone is new and doing a lot of updating and / or if you are filling it up with apps over data that would add up quick. Make sure you are using wifi whenever possible.
May 22, 2007
958 posts
152 upvotes
tdotmaca wrote: I haven't even downloaded twitter on my new phone yet, and I am not on facebook. The only thing i set up on the Core phone was my contacts, and email. Nothing else. I think its aupdates. I checked it looks like google play uses alot, the app store.
Its Google Play/Google syncing everything from your Google account onto the phone during the initial setup. You shouldn't see this much data consumption going forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3862 posts
4872 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
tdotmaca wrote: Hi there,

Just signed up last week and recieved my phone the Core Mon Jan 12th and this phone uses alot of data> I have used 400mg already. I don't use apps. I just use email and surf the net a bit. I have a blkberry torch and I don't use this much data at all in a month with it. The only thing I am not doing is using with th eCore is checking twitter.
another thing to check is to make sure when you are at home, that it is connecting to your wifi ok.
I had mis-typed my wifi password an therefore used at lot more data than I was expecting :)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12093 posts
11010 upvotes
tdotmaca wrote: I haven't even downloaded twitter on my new phone yet, and I am not on facebook. The only thing i set up on the Core phone was my contacts, and email. Nothing else. I think its aupdates. I checked it looks like google play uses alot, the app store.
Have you turn on WiFi?
Disable Google Play update while on wireless, only on WiFi
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Aug 27, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks so much for all your help. I have now turned on wifi, just trying to figure out how to get the updates to update using wifi. I will check if my wifi at home connecting as well. I need to bring this data usuage down asap.
All your suggestions I am doing and trying. I really appreicate it! And so will my wallet.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12093 posts
11010 upvotes
tdotmaca wrote: Thanks so much for all your help. I have now turned on wifi, just trying to figure out how to get the updates to update using wifi. I will check if my wifi at home connecting as well. I need to bring this data usuage down asap.
All your suggestions I am doing and trying. I really appreicate it! And so will my wallet.
Update on WiFi Only
It is a setting on Google Play
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2530 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
To my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if your phone has wifi turned on and it can connect it will automatically download from wifi rather than data...If it is not connected the phone will use data.

Some programs give you the ability to select to only allow updates only over wifi, therefore, if you are on data the program will not perform updates thus minimizing data usage.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2751 posts
234 upvotes
tdotmaca wrote: Hi there,

Just signed up last week and recieved my phone the Core Mon Jan 12th and this phone uses alot of data> I have used 400mg already. I don't use apps. I just use email and surf the net a bit. I have a blkberry torch and I don't use this much data at all in a month with it. The only thing I am not doing is using with th eCore is checking twitter.

I called Zoomer but they todl me to turn off my data and turn it on when I need it. I really just want to view my emails ( I don't download files either from email) and surf the net sometimes.

Does anyone have any recommenations? I would appreciate it.
I may send the phone back and get the Q5. I really don't want it to eat up my data, I have 1g, at this rate I will spend 5g for the month and not even get to watch a movie or a couple of tv shows.
In addition to what has been said already, Blackberrys use less data than Androids for a variety of reasons including data compression. So you should expect an increase in data usage now compared to when you use your Blackberry device.

http://crackberry.com/increased-data-us ... blackberry
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
i think a respectable data plan is 50$ all in with taxes for 3gb lte data with voicemail/call display, unlimited text to and from USA/canada, and say unlimited mins weekdays 8pm-8am and free weekends + 200anytime minutes for light call users but 'heavy' data usage
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2751 posts
234 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote: To my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if your phone has wifi turned on and it can connect it will automatically download from wifi rather than data...If it is not connected the phone will use data.

Some programs give you the ability to select to only allow updates only over wifi, therefore, if you are on data the program will not perform updates thus minimizing data usage.
To my knowledge you are correct. I'm sure there are ways or apps to customize in more detail but with standard settings it works as you said.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35086 posts
21056 upvotes
Center of Universe
SoroSuub1 wrote: Hypothetically, if someone sent me a referral, how long would it last? Do referrals expire if I don't use it right away?
Referral credits are automatically applied to your bill.
You do not get a cheque or other form of payment.

Edit: once you signup that is
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7482 posts
3708 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Referral credits are automatically applied to your bill.
You do not get a cheque or other form of payment.
Oh no, I meant how long can I sit on the referral? Do I enter a key like with Tangerine (ie. no expiry)? Or do I have to get an invite which expires?

I'm thinking about it but not for the next two weeks because I'll just use up the rest of the prepaid credit I have right now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35086 posts
21056 upvotes
Center of Universe
bvit6667 wrote: To my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if your phone has wifi turned on and it can connect it will automatically download from wifi rather than data...If it is not connected the phone will use data.

Wifi supersedes data connection, when connected.
Dec 3, 2012
33 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond
SoroSuub1 wrote: Oh no, I meant how long can I sit on the referral? Do I enter a key like with Tangerine (ie. no expiry)? Or do I have to get an invite which expires?

I'm thinking about it but not for the next two weeks because I'll just use up the rest of the prepaid credit I have right now.
The referral is just for the credit. What happens is when you decide to call them to sign up, you can tell them someone referred you (or the CSR asks you themselves). From there, you give them the account number of whoever referred you. Mine asked for the person's last name and location as well.