• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 11:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3576 posts
3061 upvotes

Cityplace - 10 years later

So, it turns out cityplace didn't become a ghetto. What I do find amazing is the amount of young people living in these 500k one bedroom condos.

I really don't get if they are really young professionals, rich kids or simply living on credit? It kinda makes me feel bad about myself being underachiever. The restaurants and bars were packed at least on weekends. I didn't live this well in my 20s. I haven't seen a single person over 40....except myself.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9623 posts
7216 upvotes
I’ve told people city place is happening,... lots of bars, restaurants, library and Rec Centre, lots of green space. It’s not like Jane and Finch that’s for sure...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4092 posts
907 upvotes
don't feel bad OP, these are people in their 20's spending 50%+ of their net income on rent.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1181 posts
1020 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: So, it turns out cityplace didn't become a ghetto. What I do find amazing is the amount of young people living in these 500k one bedroom condos.

I really don't get if they are really young professionals, rich kids or simply living on credit? It kinda makes me feel bad about myself being underachiever. The restaurants and bars were packed at least on weekends. I didn't live this well in my 20s. I haven't seen a single person over 40....except myself.
It’s mostly renters in cityplace.
Feb 24, 2018
65 posts
69 upvotes
Yep, bears wrong again about CityPlace.

Turning out really nicely - 2 new schools and community center being built. Lot's of density and therefore lot's of thriving retail/restaurants popping up now. Only going to get better.

Walking distance to FiDi which means it attracts young professionals making 6 figures at Finance/Tech companies.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1856 posts
882 upvotes
Young professionals with education paid for by RESP and parents. Without the burden of maitaining a car, 50% of after tax dollar going to rent is not that big a deal.

Doom and gloom predictions attract eye balls, but disaster doesn't strike every day.
Apr 26, 2010
788 posts
105 upvotes
Richmond Hill
All young professionals and renters. A little too busy for my liking, I was there last weekend and there were wasted early 20s by 4pm.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5026 posts
1202 upvotes
20min walk to downtown core (jobs and transit hub) and 20min walk to King West (big party fun time).

Location, location, location.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12594 posts
7827 upvotes
Still think the city made a mistake selling the entire land to one developer, a crappy one at that.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1098 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
TodayHello wrote: 20min walk to downtown core (jobs and transit hub) and 20min walk to King West (big party fun time).

Location, location, location.
I remember, not all that many moons ago, when King West was very quiet and the “big party fun time” was Richmond & Peter. Then the NIMBYs and Adam Vaughan moved in and clubland moved out.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1098 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I was at City Place was for a party back in, maybe, 2011. Aside from the condo buildings themselves, the area was utterly desolate and depressing really. I’m sure it’s improved since then.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9623 posts
7216 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Still think the city made a mistake selling the entire land to one developer, a crappy one at that.
While true it was sold way back in the early 90s I think when Toronto was a dump downtown.
Jun 6, 2013
457 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seems like it's getting more busy. I'd rent there but I'd never buy a condo there. I bet it's like 60+% renters there.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1856 posts
882 upvotes
Just checked UofT international student tuitiom. 42k per year for a basic degree in arts/science. Any parent who can afford this tuition can afford 2k/month rent. Wouldn't be surprised to see students living there.