Civil engineering technology diploma

[OP]
Dec 14, 2014
177 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Civil engineering technology diploma

deleted
Last edited by Michaelp1990 on Jul 6th, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Michaelp1990 wrote: Hi. Im considering enrolling in humber college's civil engineering tech diploma. Would you guys recommend it? Also what kind of jobs are availiable?
lots of jobs in ottawa/bc...may take a few months to find something in GTA
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Michaelp1990 wrote: Hi. Im considering enrolling in humber college's civil engineering tech diploma. Would you guys recommend it? Also what kind of jobs are availiable?
What kind of jobs are availiable in Ottawa/bc. Are the a lot of estimator/drafting/CADD Tech jobs?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:
What kind of jobs are availiable in Ottawa/bc. Are the a lot of estimator/drafting/CADD Tech jobs?
lots of CAD jobs in Ottawa and tons of estimator/project manager/superintendent jobs that you can branch into after a couple years experience. The company I work at just hired a new grad technologist with construction experience as a junior site superintendent @ 45k
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:

lots of CAD jobs in Ottawa and tons of estimator/project manager/superintendent jobs that you can branch into after a couple years experience. The company I work at just hired a new grad technologist with construction experience as a junior site superintendent @ 45k
Out of curiosity are the CAD Jobs and estimator jobs all in the office with no outside work? Is there a lot of driving for them to get from site to site or is the job completly indoors in an office?
[OP]
Dec 14, 2014
177 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:

Out of curiosity are the CAD Jobs and estimator jobs all in the office with no outside work? Is there a lot of driving for them to get from site to site or is the job completly indoors in an office?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Michaelp1990 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:
They both involve 'field work'. Perhaps 15% of your day. Going to meet with clients and walking through a potential job. If you are looking for something that involves minimal office work I would look into becoming a site superintendent.
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Michaelp1990 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:

They both involve 'field work'. Perhaps 15% of your day. Going to meet with clients and walking through a potential job. If you are looking for something that involves minimal office work I would look into becoming a site superintendent.
Thanks for the input. I had another question though. I'm still in highschool so i've never held an actual full time job but do entry level jobs(especially jobs in the construction field) give benefits like unpaid time off, vacation days, insurance? Would you happen to know about the deal the new grad you mentioned in the previous posts got?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:
Michaelp1990 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I had another question though. I'm still in highschool so i've never held an actual full time job but do entry level jobs(especially jobs in the construction field) give benefits like unpaid time off, vacation days, insurance? Would you happen to know about the deal the new grad you mentioned in the previous posts got?
he got salary, 3 weeks vacation,7 personal days,4% rrsp match and medical/dental/life
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:

he got salary, 3 weeks vacation,7 personal days,4% rrsp match and medical/dental/life
Would you know of any jobs in the field that don't require travel/are office work only.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:

Would you know of any jobs in the field that don't require travel/are office work only.
Yea pretty much CAD jobs only. But even at times you may have to periodically visit a site (maybe once a week).
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:
nikels21 wrote:

Yea pretty much CAD jobs only. But even at times you may have to periodically visit a site (maybe once a week).
Are there a lot of CAD jobs?
Oct 29, 2014
507 posts
183 upvotes
Depends on location. Many CAD jobs they never leave the office. If you become a drafter.. please come on site so you know what it is that you are drawing!
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
30seconds wrote: Depends on location. Many CAD jobs they never leave the office. If you become a drafter.. please come on site so you know what it is that you are drawing!
Thanks. I had 2 questions. First, by the time i'll graduate id only have a G2 and not a full G license. Would that be a problem if im going to be using my own vehicle to get to sites? A G2 allows me to drive on any road and at any time(only catch is that 0 B/A level and no more passengers than working seatbelts). Secondly are there many CAD jobs availiable and if so am I confined to only Civil engineering firms or can I branch out to architechture firms as well?
Oct 29, 2014
507 posts
183 upvotes
You can ride a bike to work it doesn't matter as long as you get there. Most GOOD drafters I've dealt with are there to draft. Field engineers (which diploma or degree get you into) are on site.

If you want to be a drafter you can get into plenty of fields.. everything is drawn first. BUT look at how much CAD is actually in your program. Do the civil tech then a drafting certificate then youll be set to sit behind a computer and draw lines :P Guys I work with who did the civil tech program are not skilled at drafting. One of them is thinking of doing a drafting course so he can work inside.

Civil tech gives you lots of options to move up but many become concrete testers, surveyors, field engineers, quality inspectors and drafters. Depending on your personality you can get into project management.

Also.. Civil Technology programs are 2 years in alberta but 3 in ontario. I am not 100% sure if they are fully transferable (licensing i dunno) but worth looking into. Saves you a year, money and gives you the same title plus a new experience. Technology is better then technician. Can get your CET which companies may look at (especially government)

Best advice I can give.. Go on indeed and look at the jobs you are interested in and look at the requirements they are actually looking for. Dont limit your self to the GTA starting out.. there are plenty of better opportunities out side of the bubble
Last edited by 30seconds on Oct 16th, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 29, 2014
507 posts
183 upvotes
You can ride a bike to work it doesn't matter as long as you get there. Most GOOD drafters I've dealt with are there to draft. Field engineers (which diploma or degree get you into) are on site.

If you want to be a drafter you can get into plenty of fields.. everything is drawn first. BUT look at how much CAD is actually in your program. Do the civil tech then a drafting certificate then youll be set to sit behind a computer and draw lines :P Guys I work with who did the civil tech program are not skilled at drafting. One of them is thinking of doing a drafting course so he can work inside.

Civil tech gives you lots of options to move up but many become concrete testers, surveyors, field engineers, quality inspectors and drafters. Depending on your personality you can get into project management.

Also.. Civil Technology programs are 2 years in alberta but 3 in ontario. I am not 100% sure if they are fully transferable (licensing i dunno) but worth looking into. Saves you a year, money and gives you the same title plus a new experience.
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
30seconds wrote: You can ride a bike to work it doesn't matter as long as you get there. Most GOOD drafters I've dealt with are there to draft. Field engineers (which diploma or degree get you into) are on site.

Also.. Civil Technology programs are 2 years in alberta but 3 in ontario. I am not 100% sure if they are fully transferable (licensing i dunno) but worth looking into. Saves you a year, money and gives you the same title plus a new experience. Technology is better then technician. Can get your CET which companies may look at (especially government)

Best advice I can give.. Go on indeed and look at the jobs you are interested in and look at the requirements they are actually looking for. Dont limit your self to the GTA starting out.. there are plenty of better opportunities out side of the bubble
Do you think I could move from drafting into fieldwork such as site superintendents,construction management,estimators,etc throughout my career without much difficulty? Also would employer's hiring civil techs to do field work view drafting experience as an asset or would it be considered irrelevant or evan a negative?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Mike2389 wrote:
30seconds wrote: You can ride a bike to work it doesn't matter as long as you get there. Most GOOD drafters I've dealt with are there to draft. Field engineers (which diploma or degree get you into) are on site.

Do you think I could move from drafting into fieldwork such as site superintendents,construction management,estimators,etc throughout my career without much difficulty? Also would employer's hiring civil techs to do field work view drafting experience as an asset or would it be considered irrelevant or evan a negative?
Drafting is fine to transition into an estimator role doing quantity take-offs,etc. but if you want to be a site super than you really need to do field engineer/on-site work to transition into that role.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1758 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont

Also.. Civil Technology programs are 2 years in alberta but 3 in ontario. I am not 100% sure if they are fully transferable (licensing i dunno) but worth looking into. Saves you a year, money and gives you the same title plus a new experience.
This is very important, pay particular attention to what courses your school of choice has for your program. They vary slightly from school to school. I completed my Civil Engineering degreeand did not have a single CAD oriented class in my 4 year degree. Instead I had two or three classes that taught maybe 3 weeks worth of CAD each. IMO this was not adequate for new grads and I wish I knew that beforehand
Banned
Aug 14, 2014
34 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mike2389 wrote:

Drafting is fine to transition into an estimator role doing quantity take-offs,etc. but if you want to be a site super than you really need to do field engineer/on-site work to transition into that role.
Can I transition first from drafting to a field engineer role and then lastly to a superintendent role? Is this a common route or is it that once I pick a sector I'm stuck in that for the rest of my career? I went to a presentation put on by the coordinator of the civil eng tech program and he said many graduated students get drafting roles as their first job but I don't want to be limited to one field in such a large and diverse industry my whole life.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)