Travel

Claiming Travel Insurance

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2020 9:09 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 20, 2012
74 posts
5 upvotes

Claiming Travel Insurance

I brought my plane ticket to Japan (Feb 29 to Mar 12) with Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite. I cancelled the trip due to covid19 but they denied my claim with the response at the bottom.

A lot of attraction in Japan was shutting down by end of Feb and I think either Japanese or Canadian govt issued warning on the first week of March. Anyone have any advice or useful into?


>A review of the information provided indicates you were traveling Japan on February 29, 2020 to March 12, 2020. You
cancelled your trip due to COVID-19. According to Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada government there was no
travel advisory in effect for non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to Japan during your travel dates. As such, your claim is
not eligible for benefits.
13 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
883 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
Every insurance is different. Unless there was a travel advisory from Canada saying avoid all travel, you likely would not be covered. My insurance stated this in their policy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5138 posts
1939 upvotes
Toronto
When did you cancel it? I think some insurance may depend on what was in effect at the point you cancelled (i.e. if you jumped the gun and got cold feet and cancelled early, you may not be covered even if the government advisory came out later for the dates of travel).
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1090 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
You're out of luck unless you can show Japan had travel restrictions or quarantine measures in place
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1328 posts
1475 upvotes
BC
Unless there was a Level 3 travel advisory for the country for your travel dates, you're out of luck. It's pretty much the same wording for most travel insurance policies.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1617 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WetCoastGuy wrote: Unless there was a Level 3 travel advisory for the country for your travel dates, you're out of luck. It's pretty much the same wording for most travel insurance policies.
And even with that, they will deny based on the useless vouchers Face With Tears Of Joy
Jr. Member
Dec 22, 2018
183 posts
70 upvotes
Markham
admiralackbar wrote: Think you are confusing credit card cancellation insurance and the refund process some airlines used. No vouchers involved with cancellation insurance I assure you.
so what did you lose when they give u a voucher minus cancellation fee? You cancelled.
That is their argument/
Have OP
launched a chargeback first ?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1617 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
admiralackbar wrote: All I had were 100% non-refundable tickets on AC (I got cash refunds from JAL) so there was no voucher to be had. Got over $10k of 2020 travel refunded on the Amex so I am personally happy with how my issues worked out.

I probably would have gone with chargeback if vouchers would have been involved (although I will still fly enough in the future to use them so no big deal for me) but seem to remember reading posts where Amex were denying chargeback with vouchers as a reason.

This CTA ruling certainly did not help for that

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... edits.html
There was absolutely no "ruling" by CTA, and the CTA and the federal court in fact confirmed as such.

The travel industry is misusing that "suggestion" by CTA, which shows the depths of corruption - with CTA putting "suggestion" that look like ruling and the industry using that to justify its behaviour.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3808 posts
1869 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Every insurance is different. Unless there was a travel advisory from Canada saying avoid all travel, you likely would not be covered. My insurance stated this in their policy.
If you booked with CheapOair for example, they use Travel Guard, which is administered by AIG as I just found out.

I have to say, the fact that insurance companies are trying to use travel vouchers to get out of paying is beyond dumb. Nobody purchases travel insurance to get a damn voucher. Expect higher premiums for travel insurance and hopefully better worded policies after covid.
Member
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote: If you booked with CheapOair for example, they use Travel Guard, which is administered by AIG as I just found out.

I have to say, the fact that insurance companies are trying to use travel vouchers to get out of paying is beyond dumb. Nobody purchases travel insurance to get a damn voucher. Expect higher premiums for travel insurance and hopefully better worded policies after covid.
I agree. I have no plans to get additional insurance when they consider a voucher (that I do not want and will not/cannot use) making me whole. After being shafted with this COVID-19 debacle I have changed my tune on insurance.
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
606 posts
352 upvotes
Welcome to the insurance world, they will fight tooth and nail against you. I have a very negative view of insurance...but looking at it from the other side they are probably facing bankruptcy because of so many claims coming in all at once. Unfortunately for your situation they are right. If there was no official advisory and the plane still flew then in their eyes you should have went.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
you cancelled on your end before the Canada travel advisories from the federal govt came into place, I believe that was March 10th. on that point alone, you have zero recourse.

I was actually abroad right when the travel advisories came in. For as slow as Allianz was (allianz was the travel insurance that the rogers CC uses), they actually managed to send me a cheque recently for the rebooked flight back to Canada as well as an internal flight at the country I was in so I was pretty happy about that.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3808 posts
1869 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: Welcome to the insurance world, they will fight tooth and nail against you. I have a very negative view of insurance...but looking at it from the other side they are probably facing bankruptcy because of so many claims coming in all at once. Unfortunately for your situation they are right. If there was no official advisory and the plane still flew then in their eyes you should have went.
They could handle it better. Insurance companies are all about risk management, while unprecedented situation, it's quite pathetic of them to pull this crap (they've encountered natural disasters and pandemic is not a new term).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
A lesson to be learnt: If there is no advantage to cancelling a reservation (e.g., full or partial refund, no no-show penalty, etc.), don't. Just wait and hope something favorable comes your way.

Same thing happened with cruises. Those who got nervous and cancelled may have lost a substantial amount. Those who waited until the cruises got cancelled got a refund.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.

Top