• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 10:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5057 posts
2865 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Paging resident skincare expert @MyNameWasTaken
LOL Smiling Face With Sunglasses

I recommend NOT buying. Physical exfoliation is a thing of the past, and it will do more longterm harm to your face with short term superficial benefits. You need to be gentle on your skin. More brands and people are moving over to direct acids hence why The Ordinary became so popular (and of course the price point of the brand). Invest your money in skincare with products that contain A(HA), B(HA) C(Vitamin) depending on your skin type. Do your research to see which one works best for you.

Recommended Products:
Paula Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 2%
SKinceutical Vitamin C (it's patented and hella expensive but it does work) - their is also a dupe called Timeless Vitamin C which is much cheaper, but uneven reviews.
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

If you have a private insurance plan, I suggest Retin A as a retinol. There are varying strengths, but this will provide you the best value to improve skin texture and over time minimize scarring. This is a strong product so using a little will go a long way.

Lastly, all of your efforts will be futile if you don't invest in a good sunscreen, healthy eating habits (drink water and keep hydrated), and patience. Whatever you put inside your body will reflect on the outside too!

Edit - a good dermatologist can help you too with recommendations on topical and oral treatments, just be careful that they don't push their brands on you and be transparent in what you want
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Jul 15th, 2020 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5057 posts
2865 upvotes
sirxterminator wrote: These are crazy prices, when I hear words like anti-aging you know its marketing scam.

Real men use a random orbital palm sander, adjust to a higher grit for a smoother youthful appearance. Lower grit for the scruff manly look.
Lol the amount of St. Ives apricot scrubs I've seen might as well have been a palm sander Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10543 posts
5416 upvotes
Toronto
time to move over to nu skin or pmd or foreo
Last edited by Pochacco on Jul 16th, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Oct 9, 2005
550 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, NuSkin LumiSpa is recommended.
Pochacco wrote: time to move over to nu skin
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
2317 posts
456 upvotes
Toronto
BatmanDeals wrote: I wouldnt buy it with 50% off
Needs 80% or better
I love deals
Nov 21, 2010
878 posts
429 upvotes
Canada
geotr wrote: Needs 80% or better
I prefer 90% of my skin off but that's just me
Feb 11, 2007
587 posts
285 upvotes
With that price, I prefer to select the best one NuSkin LumiSpa.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3578 posts
1004 upvotes
Vancouver
Chaselap wrote: Any chances that the coupon is generic?
It doesn't look like it's generic. Looks like a unique code generated after I register a device.
Mar 26, 2015
233 posts
569 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RedFlagCrake wrote: Geez, yeah, let's reinforce gender stereotypes and further contribute to misogyny and sexism. Men just stupid, women just for sex. Got it.
The comment was clearly a joke (even the link @alanbrenton put in his reply has '.../humour/menjokes.html'). But clearly, you wanted to be offended, so ignored the obvious and you found what you needed. For your behaviour, I'm offended. Apologize.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1269 posts
1096 upvotes
The whole exfoliation market is a bit of a racket. They convince you that you need to wash your face 2+ times a day, then they sell you products for the dry skin that overwashing creates. All you really need to do is wash your face when it's dirty or oily and not otherwise and this whole problem goes away.
Dec 11, 2012
327 posts
965 upvotes
Waterloo
Honestly confused with all the hate in the comments.

My brother is a dermatology resident and he gifted me one of these for Christmas and I love it. He also got one for himself and his fiancée.

In the 6 months of owning this and using it twice a day I have noticed a huge difference in my skin. It looks and feels much better. Just in the first week I noticed plenty of breakouts and I assume that is due to it cleaning the dirt hidden deep in my pores.

I use a cetaphil cleanser with this and it works perfect. They recommend changing every 3 months but even after 6 months my brush head feels new as I clean and maintain it.

Sure, I understand $30 for a brush head is steep and $100+ for the initial machine, but you would be surprised how much people (including myself) have spent on trying to obtain great skin.

I love this product and can justify the price point. I also use Retina regularly, apply sunscreen regularly and drink plenty of water along with eating healthy, which contributes to great skin. But, just from the Clairsonic itself I noticed a huge change and so did my family.

Every person is different but from the 3 other people I have seen use this product we all love it. As well for ladies the makeup attachments are great my girlfriend loves the foundation applicator.

They have so many different types of brush heads available and there’s one for every skin type.

My only concern is finding proper brush heads now due to them closing, I don’t know the quality of the knock offs.

Clairsonic is unique as they have patented technology, they use sonic technology where as other ones on the market physically spin and can be too rough on the skin, leading to damaging skin. Ultimately, if you are to use a brush head I would use Clarisonic.

Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1213 posts
964 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: LOL Smiling Face With Sunglasses

I recommend NOT buying. Physical exfoliation is a thing of the past, and it will do more longterm harm to your face with short term superficial benefits. You need to be gentle on your skin. More brands and people are moving over to direct acids hence why The Ordinary became so popular (and of course the price point of the brand). Invest your money in skincare with products that contain A(HA), B(HA) C(Vitamin) depending on your skin type. Do your research to see which one works best for you.

Recommended Products:
Paula Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 2%
SKinceutical Vitamin C (it's patented and hella expensive but it does work) - their is also a dupe called Timeless Vitamin C which is much cheaper, but uneven reviews.
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

If you have a private insurance plan, I suggest Retin A as a retinol. There are varying strengths, but this will provide you the best value to improve skin texture and over time minimize scarring. This is a strong product so using a little will go a long way.

Lastly, all of your efforts will be futile if you don't invest in a good sunscreen, healthy eating habits (drink water and keep hydrated), and patience. Whatever you put inside your body will reflect on the outside too!

Edit - a good dermatologist can help you too with recommendations on topical and oral treatments, just be careful that they don't push their brands on you and be transparent in what you want
Would that skinceutical product be a good gift for the gf? Specifically, do I need to do a bunch of research to find out if it'll work well for her first, or since it's so damn premium, it's guaranteed to have at least some nice effects? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5057 posts
2865 upvotes
@Thecheapindian skincare is never straightforward because everyone is different. To be frank, if you noticed plenty of breakouts it may be because you weren't exfoliating enough before. My point of view is that if you're going to shell out this much money for a product about to be discontinued, then you're better off tailoring your skincare for something that works for you. Not to completely knock Clairsonic because it had its time and got people to recognize the importance of exfoliating. Clarisonic on its own is not going to provide you with the exfoliation your skin needs for deep cell turnover. Chemical exfoliation is a better way to go, and this is why you're seeing the turnover because of the Retin A. Also, some people are blessed with resilient skin and that's just genetics.

@strife I'm not sure about a gift depending on how your relationship is lol. I know some people may feel offended if you give them skincare products, while others may not care. If you go to skinceutical website they have an online chat, and they may be better off to provide insight. Now, the good thing about ordering direct from them is that they offer a 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so if she is not satisfied it can be returned for a credit (although it may take longer than 30 days for results). From personal experience and reviews, this is a good product and will make a difference with consistent usage (recommended to keep in the fridge to extend shelf life). It will help brighten your skin and assist in diminishing marks over time. I would only recommend either the Vitamin C E Ferulic or Phloretin CF from Skinceuticals. You can also order from Geebeauty (authorized reseller in Toronto) and they offer 10% off if you sign up for their email, but their return policy differs. I hope that helps!
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Jul 15th, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 14, 2017
835 posts
1500 upvotes
Vancouver
quasarito wrote: The comment was clearly a joke (even the link @alanbrenton put in his reply has '.../humour/menjokes.html'). But clearly, you wanted to be offended, so ignored the obvious and you found what you needed. For your behaviour, I'm offended. Apologize.
Just because something is a joke doesn't make it alright. A racist joke is still ... racist. I've clearly caused a lot of fragile egos to recoil in this thread. Equality matters, and respect for the people around us matters, even on an online deals forum.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2280 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto
litebrite wrote: When you register a new device on the website for the warranty, you get sent a $25 off $99+ coupon. That coupon stacks with the sale pricing! I was able to stock up on brush heads for a long time... lol

Ended up buying 3 of the dual pack deep pore brush heads ($29.00 each) and one cashmere brush head ($19.50). With the coupon, my final sub-total was only $81.5; $91.28 w/ tax. Which brings it to ~$13 all in for each brush head. Don't forget 5% rakuten!

I've used the generic no-name brush heads before and didn't like them. I found the name brand Clarisonic ones superior and I'm sticking to those as long as I can.
Thanks for this tip! I registered my old device that I never registered and stocked up on different types of brushes. The $25 coupon did stack with the 50% off while the newsletter coupon of 15% off did not.

They say the brushes need to be thrown away after 3 months, but they don't. There are lots of tip online for sanitizing the brushes so you can keep using them, like soaking them in dish soap or vinegar and baking soda. The inner part also comes away from the outer part for easier cleaning. The brushes themselves don't deteriorate like toothbrushes do.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3578 posts
1004 upvotes
Vancouver
silverele wrote: Thanks for this tip! I registered my old device that I never registered and stocked up on different types of brushes. The $25 coupon did stack with the 50% off while the newsletter coupon of 15% off did not.

They say the brushes need to be thrown away after 3 months, but they don't. There are lots of tip online for sanitizing the brushes so you can keep using them, like soaking them in dish soap or vinegar and baking soda. The inner part also comes away from the outer part for easier cleaning. The brushes themselves don't deteriorate like toothbrushes do.
Oh wow, good to know about the old device. I have the original Mia that I don't think I ever registered.. hmm wonder if I should buy more brush heads.. lol.

I haven't been throwing mine out after every 3 months. I have been using the deep pore brush head currently and find that it's now at the right "softness" that's effective for my skin.
Dec 11, 2012
327 posts
965 upvotes
Waterloo
MyNameWasTaken wrote: @Thecheapindian skincare is never straightforward because everyone is different. To be frank, if you noticed plenty of breakouts it may be because you weren't exfoliating enough before. My point of view is that if you're going to shell out this much money for a product about to be discontinued, then you're better off tailoring your skincare for something that works for you. Not to completely knock Clairsonic because it had its time and got people to recognize the importance of exfoliating. Clarisonic on its own is not going to provide you with the exfoliation your skin needs for deep cell turnover. Chemical exfoliation is a better way to go, and this is why you're seeing the turnover because of the Retin A. Also, some people are blessed with resilient skin and that's just genetics.

@strife I'm not sure about a gift depending on how your relationship is lol. I know some people may feel offended if you give them skincare products, while others may not care. If you go to skinceutical website they have an online chat, and they may be better off to provide insight. Now, the good thing about ordering direct from them is that they offer a 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so if she is not satisfied it can be returned for a credit (although it may take longer than 30 days for results). From personal experience and reviews, this is a good product and will make a difference with consistent usage (recommended to keep in the fridge to extend shelf life). It will help brighten your skin and assist in diminishing marks over time. I would only recommend either the Vitamin C E Ferulic or Phloretin CF from Skinceuticals. You can also order from Geebeauty (authorized reseller in Toronto) and they offer 10% off if you sign up for their email, but their return policy differs. I hope that helps!
I always did exfoliate actually prior to the Clairsonic.

I never replaced clairsonic with exfoliation, just for cleansing. Clairsonic is only meant for cleansing and that’s fine for me as it gets the job done, 2 times a day and my skin is clean and refreshed.

Also, with Retin-A I was on and off over the past few months and didn’t start is seriously until May, so the results prior to that were due to Clairsonic as no other variables were changed.

I’m not telling people to purchase it now as it’s getting discontinued, but rather giving it recognition that it was one of the best cleansing brushes on the market and now it’s sad to see it go.

I would only recommend people get this if they can find brush heads that work well and are compatible, because at the end of the day the machine is that part that has the sonic vibrations built in not the brush head.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
RedFlagCrake wrote: Just because something is a joke doesn't make it alright. A racist joke is still ... racist. I've clearly caused a lot of fragile egos to recoil in this thread. Equality matters, and respect for the people around us matters, even on an online deals forum.
100% agree. We all need to do better. By saying "let it go, it's just a joke" we're just perpetuating and normalizing negative stereotypes. Find something else to joke about, the English language is rich with other words and topics, no need to settle for lazy sexist humour.
Apr 9, 2015
419 posts
328 upvotes
Thecheapindian wrote: Honestly confused with all the hate in the comments.

My brother is a dermatology resident and he gifted me one of these for Christmas and I love it. He also got one for himself and his fiancée.

In the 6 months of owning this and using it twice a day I have noticed a huge difference in my skin. It looks and feels much better. Just in the first week I noticed plenty of breakouts and I assume that is due to it cleaning the dirt hidden deep in my pores.

I use a cetaphil cleanser with this and it works perfect. They recommend changing every 3 months but even after 6 months my brush head feels new as I clean and maintain it.

Sure, I understand $30 for a brush head is steep and $100+ for the initial machine, but you would be surprised how much people (including myself) have spent on trying to obtain great skin.

I love this product and can justify the price point. I also use Retina regularly, apply sunscreen regularly and drink plenty of water along with eating healthy, which contributes to great skin. But, just from the Clairsonic itself I noticed a huge change and so did my family.

Every person is different but from the 3 other people I have seen use this product we all love it. As well for ladies the makeup attachments are great my girlfriend loves the foundation applicator.

They have so many different types of brush heads available and there’s one for every skin type.

My only concern is finding proper brush heads now due to them closing, I don’t know the quality of the knock offs.

Clairsonic is unique as they have patented technology, they use sonic technology where as other ones on the market physically spin and can be too rough on the skin, leading to damaging skin. Ultimately, if you are to use a brush head I would use Clarisonic.

Thanks OP!
Second this. Clarisonic is a cleansing device that’s effective in removing makeup/dirt/oil/dead cells, not meant to replace other exfoliating treatments. I only use it at night, and my current skin condition is significantly better than my teenager/young adult years.

Their technology is solid, but after the L’Oréal acquisition their product lines have become disconnected and confusing over the years. I’m just pissed that I won’t be able to get genuine brush heads once my current 4-5 year supply runs out. I tried well-reviewed knock offs on Amazon before but my skin can feel the difference and prefer the genuine ones.