Automotive

Clash of Clans: 2017 Type R vs 2018 370Z vs 2018 STI

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2017 9:39 am

Poll: What would you choose?

  • Total votes: 75. You have voted on this poll.
Honda Civic Type R
 
25
33%
Nissan/Nismo 370Z
 
13
17%
Subaru WRX STI
 
26
35%
Other
 
11
15%
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
15365 posts
4275 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Clash of Clans: 2017 Type R vs 2018 370Z vs 2018 STI

Road and Track Comparison

Image

Honestly one of the best reads I've had in a long time. If you have 10 minutes to spare, read the comparison, enjoy the photos, and then imagine how you would feel when you drive one of these machines. I just wish Nissan USA sent a Nismo 370Z instead of the Heritage Edition. The Nismo 370Z would have put up a much better fight, especially since it has LSD, Brembo brakes, and a Nismo tuned exhaust.

Edit: I just received this month's Road&Track magazine. Another reason why there's no European cars is because this month's release is mainly about Japan and Japanese vehicles. In their GO section, there are photos about Japan's car culture, how they modifiy their vehicles, and of co course a short blurb on the Drift King, Keiichi Tsuchiya.
Last edited by geokilla on Jul 27th, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spend too much time on this site
41 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30200 posts
16326 upvotes
Toronto
all Japanese brands. No European brands represented here. Hmm.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
15365 posts
4275 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
booblehead wrote: all Japanese brands. No European brands represented here. Hmm.
Read the comparo and you'll see why it was Japanese only.
I spend too much time on this site
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2381 posts
1984 upvotes
Ottawa
I was at a local autox event last weekend and someone brought the type R out. After seeing it person, it is definitely not a car I would want to own. It has more creases than a paper crane and I really don't understand why Honda decided to put 20" rims with 30 profile tires on it. Normally, I'm the type to look at a car's performance on track before it's appearance, and sure, the car handled itself decently at autox, but in this case, I just can't get past the looks or the price tag.

For me, I'd take the sti out of the 3.
Newbie
Feb 10, 2017
96 posts
84 upvotes
Nice ...

Honda's 2017 car finally outperforms Nissan and Subaru's 2000's car.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1694 posts
380 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
That 370z is really getting long in the tooth. Infiniti Q60 is out, hurry it up nissan lol
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2007
642 posts
472 upvotes
Arviat
booblehead wrote: all Japanese brands. No European brands represented here. Hmm.
Euros need to come up with boy racer type cars to qualify or is there already one.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1071 posts
876 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
There's tons of hot Euro cars. We just don't get 95% of them because 80% of people in North America rather buy boring SUV's and trucks to haul their materialistic obese and/or boring families around.

Yaris TRD "Supercharged" with 210hp, available in Europe
Hyundai i30N, 250 or 270 hp trims, all new hot hatch, soon available Europe.
Megane RS / Trophy R
Focus RS (built in Germany, engine tuned by Cosworth) Euro/Aussie Ford is awesome Ford. I'll even throw Focus/Fiesta ST in here too.
Peugeot 205 GTI
Polo/Golf/Scirocco GTI
Golf/Scirocco R
Clio RenaultSport
Vauxhall Corsa Nurburgring
Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works
Fiat 500 Abarth
Citroen DS3-R
Seat Leon Cupra R
Volvo C30 T5
Audi S3/RS3 hatch

I think an Audi RS3 hatch would dominate. Straight 5 turbo, 400hp / 400lb-ft . I've already driven the new Audi TT RS with that I5 turbo engine...put it in dynamic mode, exhaust gets louder, and it sounds like a V10 R8. Love it! But will probably be 75k CAD for what really is a baby V10 R8.

2018 Focus RS over the 3 in that comparison video for me.

Subaru will just blow up. I highly regard the Honda, but couldn't go from my current FWD hot hatch to yet another one. 370Z is way too old...I'd rather get a Camaro or Mustang. Or even a 392Hemi Scatpack with a Charger or Challenger attached to it even though those are built on 10 year old chassis themselves - it has double the displacement. And for $55k you can get that? Yes please. Torque, V8, highway cruiser, gas pedal romping, "smooth" in today's sense of the word.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5531 posts
3964 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Out of those 3, probably CTR for the resale value. However, in my one hour drive of the car, it's way too over hyped. It's not as good a drive as I hoped it would be. This is me comparing it to Integra type R.

If it's comparing to cars in this price range. It'll be Golf R for practicality or 2018 Mustang GT for pure performance.
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
134 upvotes
I am writing this without reading article. Imo, Civic Type R is the worse car to buy. 370z and Sti both looks better and has faster straight line acceleration plus Rwd/awd vs fwd.

Has any of you seen Civic Type R in person? I have and it's exterior design looks really bad. It looks more fat and just completely wierd. I would take golf R if only VW could build cars as reliable as Toyota and Honda.

I think regular hatchback looks better than Type R.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9951 posts
3757 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Crixus45 wrote: I am writing this without reading article. Imo, Civic Type R is the worse car to buy. 370z and Sti both looks better and has faster straight line acceleration plus Rwd/awd vs fwd.

Has any of you seen Civic Type R in person? I have and it's exterior design looks really bad. It looks more fat and just completely wierd. I would take golf R if only VW could build cars as reliable as Toyota and Honda.

I think regular hatchback looks better than Type R.
They have been doing this for years now, not everything you read on this forum is the absolute truth.

Though I disagree with you, as I think type R is best looking current civic.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2752 posts
2094 upvotes
Markham
After reading the article...I actually probably won't pick the Type R. The praise for it is mainly about how fast it is and against these 2, yet when it came to which one was more enjoyable...the Honda didn't appear to get talked about. As a result I'd probably get bored and worse, something later one will be faster and there goes its reason for being bought. Perhaps I've gotten older but I don't care about how fast something is anymore, I've been in faster cars and not all brought joy and some were horribly boring. 370Z or STi...I love RWD more than AWD, although I wasn't in love with how Nissan set up the Z...hence why I bought a slower car than it. I think I'd go with the STi, I had a normal Subaru before and I did like it but I knew it needed power for it to get fun because it naturally is competent rather than fun.

Overall no compelling reason for me to think about a new car, but then again I would only buy if I would remain satisfied essentially forever. I'll keep driving my "slow" sports car.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2007
642 posts
472 upvotes
Arviat
Yup that Civic does look like it has a water retention problem.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17016 posts
15636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I hate to say it, but I would choose the type r. 370z is a joke and shouldn't even have been part of the comparison. Sti has a dinosaur engine with the famous ring land failures.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11381 posts
2393 upvotes
Durham Region
Crixus45 wrote: I am writing this without reading article. Imo, Civic Type R is the worse car to buy. 370z and Sti both looks better and has faster straight line acceleration plus Rwd/awd vs fwd.

Has any of you seen Civic Type R in person? I have and it's exterior design looks really bad. It looks more fat and just completely wierd. I would take golf R if only VW could build cars as reliable as Toyota and Honda.

I think regular hatchback looks better than Type R.
I have one of the 2017 Hatchbacks, the sport Model though that has the dual center exhaust among other things, I also have 2 coworkers that both bought a white Type R and it's a pretty nice looking car... but for $53K all in I couldn't justify that, doesn't even have a moonroof/sunroof!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2005
3022 posts
583 upvotes
Pickering
Why didn't they include the 2018 370z Sport? makes no sense, still priced lower than the other 2 at $34G.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14204 posts
9619 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nothing makes sense in this world.
night blade wrote: Why didn't they include the 2018 370z Sport? makes no sense, still priced lower than the other 2 at $34G.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2381 posts
1984 upvotes
Ottawa
XtremeModder wrote: but for $53K all in I couldn't justify that, doesn't even have a moonroof/sunroof!
Racecars don't have sunroofs

Top