PC & Video Games

Clash of Clans Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2015 2:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2244 posts
562 upvotes

Clash of Clans Thread

Hi All

Thought I would start a CoC (Clash of Clans) thread to see if there are any other players on RFD out there.

My Clan (it is new, but we have a core of dedicated players, all are welcome to join if you meet the reqs): https://kotncoc.wordpress.com (KingsOfTheNorth | PJ0CL2VQ)

Don't know what Clash of Clans is? Check out this WIKI: http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Clash_of_Clans_Wiki

Resources:

General

CoC Wiki - I learned so much from this wiki. Go read and learn: you'll be better than 80% of the players out there.

CoCLand - great tips and tutorials on some of the bread and butter attacks/defend strategies.

Official SuperCell Clash of Clans Forum - 'nuff said

Youtube Spencer23$ - Spencer23$ is a great youtuber who has some funny catchphrases and is enjoyable to watch

Youtube Godson - Godson, another great youtuber that you can definitely benefit from


Base Building

CoC Layouts: don't know where to start building a better base? Start copying others. Rated and easy to navigate, it is very useful.

Tips Getting gems without money
  • Complete achievements: there are something like more than 4,000 gems available in you complete all the achievements.
  • Clear obstacles: it may seem like random what you get, but in fact there is a pattern. Go to the CoC Wiki page for more info
19 replies
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
993 upvotes
Vaughan
An unintelligent user in the cell phones thread has one there, but honestly, this game is pretty terrible.

It's a grind fest, and gets very boring and stale at the higher levels. But you may find some here that still play, divx?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 16, 2006
1790 posts
100 upvotes
squadz wrote: An unintelligent user in the cell phones thread has one there, but honestly, this game is pretty terrible.

It's a grind fest, and gets very boring and stale at the higher levels. But you may find some here that still play, divx?
Haha, sounds like you were in our clan and got booted. We are over 100 wins now.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
993 upvotes
Vaughan
comicbookguy wrote: Haha, sounds like you were in our clan and got booted. We are over 100 wins now.
No, I left of my own accord.

But I have no motivation to talk about the clan any further. Good luck to you OP!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
3509 posts
727 upvotes
The game may be a grind fest, but warring to me is the best part of the game. Oh and Squadz this war log from the last 45 or so days hopefully makes you happy (the red ones represent a loss):

Image
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2244 posts
562 upvotes
Without wars, I would agree that this game is fairly pointless.

I really do appreciate the fact that you can't really pay-to-win in this game: I haven't spent a single penny and am perfectly competent in winning battles. All money really allows is to reduce time to get upgrades.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
3509 posts
727 upvotes
sent you a PM incase you are interested.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1301 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
This game is a grind fest and does get boring if you play it alone.

I keep grinding because of my clan, they are pretty social and majority of them are adults. I hate playing with children clashers.

Anyway, I got bored of grinding th10 and started to make a defenseless base. So I came across this War Weight chart if anyone is interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... iew?pli=1#
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2015
669 posts
184 upvotes
Place
I'm glad that they put clan wars. I started playing when it was still new, but then had to quit since it gotten boring to me. It is true that it is grind fest most mobile games are. They want you to come back and play it ever so often. Also to make money by putting in gam purchases to speed up the build time, etc.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
10021 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
I got bored of the game.. its thoses damn upgrades that take a week to complete! what are you kidding me??? a week! so i quit lol
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
3509 posts
727 upvotes
Real_GM wrote: This game is a grind fest and does get boring if you play it alone.

I keep grinding because of my clan, they are pretty social and majority of them are adults. I hate playing with children clashers.

Anyway, I got bored of grinding th10 and started to make a defenseless base. So I came across this War Weight chart if anyone is interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... iew?pli=1#
Just an FYI that sheet is highly inaccurate. Since you are going defenceless you won't care but for anyone else, ignore it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2244 posts
562 upvotes
Anybody want to join our clan? We are winning in war, even though we have some inactive war players. Can't wait to kick them out and get some real players lol.

(KingsOfTheNorth | PJ0CL2VQ)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36093 posts
4636 upvotes
Winnipeg
squadz wrote: An unintelligent user in the cell phones thread has one there, but honestly, this game is pretty terrible.

It's a grind fest, and gets very boring and stale at the higher levels. But you may find some here that still play, divx?
never heard of this game
WTB amazon gc @90%
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 11, 2006
895 posts
1065 upvotes
@home
PennyArcade wrote: Anybody want to join our clan? We are winning in war, even though we have some inactive war players. Can't wait to kick them out and get some real players lol.

(KingsOfTheNorth | PJ0CL2VQ)
I stopped playing for a while, I joined a random clan and they don't really do anything
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1161 upvotes
Clan wars is what makes it fun. I play very competitively with 2 accounts. The graphics make the game look child friendly, but for those who really get into clan wars, you'll see that it there is deep gameplay.

War logs don't mean anything. If you're th8 and below, you can win purely on participation as you'll be paired with lots of semi-serious clans where some members don't even attack or fill their war cc. If your clan is th10/th9 and you win consistently, then I would think you have a good clan. I see so many youtubers brag about 90%+ win rates with dragons. 3 starring th9s and achieving high % destruction 2 stars on TH10 is where the skill is at. The reality is that at th7, you can deploy 10 dragons randomly and probably still get 3 stars.

Th8 your ego gets slightly bruised as dragons won't work vs a lot of bases with lvl 6 air defense + the new air sweeper. That's when you start diversifying into gowipe/hogs/gowiho. Th9 is where the real fun begins for me. You have to plan your attacks much more carefully. There's much less margin for error at th9/th10.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1161 upvotes
Eckz wrote: I stopped playing for a while, I joined a random clan and they don't really do anything
Yeah joining random clans usually doesn't work. You'll face a lot of inactives or people who don't speak English. You need to find active war clans. Clan wars are a lot of fun when you play with a group that is willing to coordinate, and have someone who can donate max troops for war.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2244 posts
562 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: Clan wars is what makes it fun. I play very competitively with 2 accounts. The graphics make the game look child friendly, but for those who really get into clan wars, you'll see that it there is deep gameplay.

War logs don't mean anything. If you're th8 and below, you can win purely on participation as you'll be paired with lots of semi-serious clans where some members don't even attack or fill their war cc. If your clan is th10/th9 and you win consistently, then I would think you have a good clan. I see so many youtubers brag about 90%+ win rates with dragons. 3 starring th9s and achieving high % destruction 2 stars on TH10 is where the skill is at. The reality is that at th7, you can deploy 10 dragons randomly and probably still get 3 stars.

Th8 your ego gets slightly bruised as dragons won't work vs a lot of bases with lvl 6 air defense + the new air sweeper. That's when you start diversifying into gowipe/hogs/gowiho. Th9 is where the real fun begins for me. You have to plan your attacks much more carefully. There's much less margin for error at th9/th10.
Right now, I'm mid th8 and started exploring mass hogs with some success, but the double giant bombs (DGB) scare me. With the advent of bolt bolt quake (BBQ), mass dragons are still a viable 3 star option on maxed th8 (admittedly my go to tactic).

Still have to learn GOWIPE (golem/wizard/pekka).

What do you guys think of the new changes coming to the table?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1161 upvotes
Yeah lightning quake rage dragons gives dragons a much needed boost. It was my go-to tactic too. But there still remain some base layouts that are hard for dragons.

I love the new changes. I always thought it was lame that you get a cheap shield for putting your TH outside. I think the shield, league bonus, and trophy award changes will improve general play. I'm really excited to see new units as well. Hope to get data on that soon.

One thing I think they need to do is put more stuff in TH10. I was a little surprised they released TH11 already. Th10 has no new units. It's basically just inferno towers and freeze. Th10 is a grind as it's basically TH9+ but everything takes forever to upgrade. Th9 opens a lot of doors such as lavaloon or gowiwi strats. Every TH level below 10 has opened new options. Plus queen is a huge addition at TH9. TH10 plays pretty much the same on offense and in 90% of the clan war battles the only viable 2 star option is gowipe variant vs another th10. Air attacks won't work on the majority of TH10 bases.

Top