Shopping Discussion

Class Action Lawsuit against Microsoft Canada: Claim up to $250 (Individual license) or up to $650 (Volume licenses)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2023 7:07 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
repatch wrote: Please, I beg you: research this topic, using VALID sources. You might be surprised.
What constitutes a "valid source"?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
starchoice wrote: What constitutes a "valid source"?
Forbes? Bill Gates
• Gates has sold or given away much of his stake in Microsoft -- he owns just over 1% of shares -- and invested in a mix of stocks and other assets.
• In mid-March 2020, Gates stepped down as a board member of Microsoft, the software firm he founded with Paul Allen (d. 2018) in 1975.
• To date, Gates has donated $35.8 billion worth of Microsoft stock to the Gates Foundation.
So this settlement hardly affects him in his ex-role as MSFT Chairman and his now-puny stake in MSFT.
• In May 2020, the Gates Foundation said it would spend $300 million to fight the coronavirus pandemic, funding treatment, detection and vaccines.
That's US$300M ~CA$400M -- about the amount of this settlement for Canadians. The lawyers behind this class-action will skim ~20% of that off the top. I wonder how much of that they're contributing to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
1963 posts
788 upvotes
Anyone remember the red bull class action? I signed up as i used to drink them and had a good laugh when the $$ showed up
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6110 posts
4783 upvotes
shpinktaar wrote: $177 claim. I really wish I had kept more info because I only claimed versions of Windows (thankfully I have all the models & serial numbers of the operating systems saved). Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue what versions of Office they were running, nor do I have the majority of those receipts.
They don’t ask you to provide any proof.....only after $250 will they ask for proof.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1783 posts
540 upvotes
So according to the FAQ some of the left over money will go to schools...

"After the end of the claims period, if there are settlement funds remaining, some K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions in Canada will be eligible to claim school voucher distribution"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
The commercial needs Saul Goodman

Last edited by Squirrel99 on Dec 25th, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 17, 2005
301 posts
287 upvotes
Etobicoke
Sejad wrote: They don’t ask you to provide any proof.....only after $250 will they ask for proof.
I know. I don't feel like making absolute shit up though. I have no clue what they were running & $177 is fine by me.
Now all they have to do is reimburse me for the bullshit XBox controllers that kept breaking that they knew were defective.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
2032 posts
242 upvotes
Berlin, Germany
I bought dozens of laptops and dozens of licenses so knowing that I was getting screwed all these years is really great.

#1 reason why I switched to Apple
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
I didn't want to bother too many times ... so did:

13 + 13 = $26 :)

Long road is ahead at the very least, seemingly:

Deadline to Submit a Claim

The only way to receive a compensation.

Click here to submit a claim online. It’s fast, easy and secure.

You must submit a Claim no later than September 23, 2021.

My mother is planning to submit something as well ,,, later on ... maybe tomorrow :)
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
I'm late to this thread and haven't read thru the 11 pages but from what I know a Class Action Lawsuit is for specified sum of money. They subtract all of the costs and lawyers "cut" and the leftover is what is paid out. How much each person gets depends on how many ppl sign up to partake in the settlement so when they say UP TO, the actual amount could be pennies compared to the UP TO amount if way more ppl sign up (like the ppl on RFD, all of the ppl who watch those TV ads etc).

I recall back in the day when there was a Class Action lawsuit for ppl who bought the stock during a certain period of time. A person went thru and submitted all of their documentation for a $5000 purchase and they got like $5 for it.

Cut and paste from the website.

The settlement amount is dependent on a number of factors, including how many members of the Class Actions make claims for compensation. After deductions for court approved legal fees and other expenses, the maximum settlement amount that will be available as compensation to members of these Class Actions will be $409,936,100 CAD (the “Net Settlement Amount”).

You're splitting $410 million. The volume licenses will likely take over 95% (maybe 99%?) of the money IMO which leaves $21 million which if there are 10 million of you, each will get $2 per claim (maybe).

IIRC there's was a Toyota class action lawsuit on on here...I think I may have participated on that one and I don't think I've seen a "candy bar" worth of money to date.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gr8dlr wrote: I'm late to this thread and haven't read thru the 11 pages but from what I know a Class Action Lawsuit is for specified sum of money. They subtract all of the costs and lawyers "cut" and the leftover is what is paid out. How much each person gets depends on how many ppl sign up to partake in the settlement so when they say UP TO, the actual amount could be pennies compared to the UP TO amount if way more ppl sign up (like the ppl on RFD, all of the ppl who watch those TV ads etc).

I recall back in the day when there was a Class Action lawsuit for ppl who bought the stock during a certain period of time. A person went thru and submitted all of their documentation for a $5000 purchase and they got like $5 for it.

IIRC there's was a Toyota class action lawsuit on on here...I think I may have participated on that one and I don't think I've seen a "candy bar" worth of money to date.
Some class actions pay some relatively paltry amount like $10 or $20 to those who file with no documentation. The CRT class action is one example.

But this class action website is clear, "Payments per Microsoft product license range from $6.50 CAD to $13.00 CAD" up to $250 without documentation. This is largely because the validity period is so long ago and few people still have invoices or receipts.

In any case, not all class actions have small payouts. The recent lawnmower one paid upwards of $100 without documentation and a lot more with. Not a bad payout for the five minutes it took to complete the application.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Becks wrote: There was a tv commercial today about this lawsuit!
The commercial was so ridiculous it makes the settlement seem like a scam.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
bylo wrote: Some class actions pay some relatively paltry amount like $10 or $20 to those who file with no documentation. The CRT class action is one example.

But this class action website is clear, "Payments per Microsoft product license range from $6.50 CAD to $13.00 CAD" up to $250 without documentation. This is largely because the validity period is so long ago and few people still have invoices or receipts.

In any case, not all class actions have small payouts. The recent lawnmower one paid upwards of $100 without documentation and a lot more with. Not a bad payout for the five minutes it took to complete the application.
Guess like everything like this it's YMMV. This one doesn't close until Sept 2021 so not sure how long they take after that date.

I'm still waiting for $$$ from the Toyota one though.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Guess like everything like this it's YMMV. This one doesn't close until Sept 2021 so not sure how long they take after that date.
Even longer. Read their FAQ. That's how class actions work in practice.

In any case it's only five minutes to make a submission. Then fuhgeddaboudit and be pleasantly surprised when the money eventually rolls in.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
caltran wrote: The commercial was so ridiculous it makes the settlement seem like a scam.
Agreed, but it interested me so much I had to look it up, and was convinced it wasn't.

Still, seemed very Saul Goodman to me.
Aug 6, 2010
51 posts
18 upvotes
Wow, so I've actually bought 10 computers during the time frame, typically one every two years (nature of the work I did), each with a bonafide copy of Windows and Office something-or-other. Have receipts for most of them after about 2002 (interesting a Dell 8200 Pentium IV with 2GB or RDRAM and a 17" monitor cost $3900. Can't imagine paying those kind of figures now.)

Between this and the CRT monitor class action case (if I ever hear back - (also receipts!), I'm going to be a thousandaire again.