Real Estate

Clauses for late payment, grass and utilities ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 12:11 pm
May 27, 2013
632 posts
60 upvotes

Clauses for late payment, grass and utilities ?

Do u charge a late fee for monthly rent. If so how much.
For grass and snow agreement. I hear some people charge an extra 100 a month. If they do it they credit the tenant. ???

What if they dont pay for the utilies or late . Is there a late fee ?

Do u offer a bonus for prompt payment??
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4527 posts
3688 upvotes
Ottawa
This all sounds very complicated. I guess if you are renting out in a cheap area you need to worry about this otherwise only rent to people who will pay you on time.
In a house tenant is responsible for snow and grass? If shared a bit more complicated probably best to hire someone to do it. Put utililities in their name and it is not your problem if they pay late (as long as they pay eventually).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Another week, another "how do I be a landlord" post...

Research the RTA to see what fees can be charged. But frankly, your biggest concern if the tenant is late with their rent is documenting each infraction so you have something you can use if you need/want to evict them in the future. But any fees (NSF, late, etc) should be spelled out clearly in your lease. Interest on rent arrears is specifically mentioned as void and unenforceable. Doesn't specify late fees, although NSF fees are capped at $20.

As far as maintenance goes, it seems the safest approach is to set up a contract separate from the lease that covers the property maintenance. The landlord would give back a check for $100 (or whatever) for the maintenance being done "properly" (you'll want to be sure to spell out what's required very clearly). Pretty sure this was the subject of one of your other posts...

C
May 27, 2013
632 posts
60 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Another week, another "how do I be a landlord" post...

Research the RTA to see what fees can be charged. But frankly, your biggest concern if the tenant is late with their rent is documenting each infraction so you have something you can use if you need/want to evict them in the future. But any fees (NSF, late, etc) should be spelled out clearly in your lease. Interest on rent arrears is specifically mentioned as void and unenforceable. Doesn't specify late fees, although NSF fees are capped at $20.

As far as maintenance goes, it seems the safest approach is to set up a contract separate from the lease that covers the property maintenance. The landlord would give back a check for $100 (or whatever) for the maintenance being done "properly" (you'll want to be sure to spell out what's required very clearly). Pretty sure this was the subject of one of your other posts...

C
I'm asking what people actually do vs the RTA
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
My late fee is an N4 served the day after the rent is due followed up with an L1 if they do not comply.
Yard maintenance and snow removal are conditions on the lease. Never had an issue with these.
Utilities in the name of the tenants. Non payment is between the tenant and utility companies.
No bonuses for prompt payment. Why would you reward them for complying with the terms they agreed to?
May 27, 2013
632 posts
60 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: My late fee is an N4 served the day after the rent is due followed up with an L1 if they do not comply.
Yard maintenance and snow removal are conditions on the lease. Never had an issue with these.
Utilities in the name of the tenants. Non payment is between the tenant and utility companies.
No bonuses for prompt payment. Why would you reward them for complying with the terms they agreed to?
I assume you call them first to ask why the non payment ?
In my region the municipality requires me to be the primary account holder for the water bill! So for the water I cannot put it in under tenants name .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
wantboost1 wrote: I assume you call them first to ask why the non payment ?
Nope, I'll turn up on the 2nd with N4 in hand. Failing to pay on time is not acceptable for any reason and serving the N4 not only shows that you mean business but also covers your a$$ in case they turn out to be a repeat offender. The LTB requires us to use this notice to record late payments.

Now, if they've asked beforehand I have been known, in exceptional circumstances, to give a few days grace until pay day but you don't want to let this get into a habit because it sets a precedent. If they agree, postdated cheques make things a bit easier to manage because you can at least get a bit of financial compensation if a cheque bounces but an N4 is still in order to properly document the occurrence.