Home & Garden

Cleaned a Wool Rug with Oxyclean, now has yellow stain - Can it be fixed?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2020 11:11 am
[OP]
Mar 4, 2019
29 posts
22 upvotes

Cleaned a Wool Rug with Oxyclean, now has yellow stain - Can it be fixed?

Long story short, our kid peed on a wool rug, in our panic we tried using Oxyclean to get it out without realizing the rug was wool (or reading the instructions). Now we have a bright yellow stain on the white rug which was likely caused by the Oxyclean rather than the pee.

Is it possible to get this stain out of the rug?

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12217 posts
6756 upvotes
Brampton
FrozenRay1 wrote: Long story short, our kid peed on a wool rug, in our panic we tried using Oxyclean to get it out without realizing the rug was wool (or reading the instructions). Now we have a bright yellow stain on the white rug which was likely caused by the Oxyclean rather than the pee.

Thanks!
Make sure you've thoroughly flushed it with water to get all the oxiclean out.

Then try diluted hydrogen peroxide. Start 3:1. Test small areas. And go from there.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1384 posts
822 upvotes
Barrie ON
tebore wrote: Make sure you've thoroughly flushed it with water to get all the oxiclean out.

Then try diluted hydrogen peroxide. Start 3:1. Test small areas. And go from there.
I'm not to sure if that would help. According to Quora.com LINK:
OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. These substances form oxygen and hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water. Hydrogen peroxide is the bleach formed.
Sodium Carbonate is also known as washing soda.

I don't think white is the natural color of wool, so either your rug was dyed white, or bleached white. It is possible that Oxyclean washed out the dye, but I don't think that undyed wool is normally yellow either.

When you say "a bright yellow stain" I am imagining a florescent yellow. Perhaps a photo may help us better understand.

Oxyclean would have also been my first choice to treat a pee stain. I can't figure out why it would create a yellow stain. Perhaps your carpet had been treated with Scotch-guard, and the pee was soaked deep into the underpad without being absorbed by the carpet fibers. Your treatment may have washed away the Scotch-guard protection and drawn up the pee from the underpad. It may only require additional cleaning.

When you rub the area with a damp rag does the color transfer to the rag?. If it is, then keep treating the stain until all the yellow has transferred out of the carpet.
Aug 29, 2019
749 posts
313 upvotes
FrozenRay1 wrote: Long story short, our kid peed on a wool rug, in our panic we tried using Oxyclean to get it out without realizing the rug was wool (or reading the instructions). Now we have a bright yellow stain on the white rug which was likely caused by the Oxyclean rather than the pee.

Thanks!
It may never come out completely but you may be able to lighten it so that it is less noticable.
Rick007 wrote: I can't figure out why it would create a yellow stain.
Oxiclean is high alkaline. Alkaline causes yellowing.

What you can try to do Ray is mix a acid solution using critic acid powder (health food store) and distilled water to try and neutralize the yellowing. Wet the rug first, rub the acid solution in, let stand, rinse away. Repeat as necessary. You should try to do this as soon as possible, the longer stains remain, the harder they are to remove.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2019
29 posts
22 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: It may never come out completely but you may be able to lighten it so that it is less noticable.
Oxiclean is high alkaline. Alkaline causes yellowing.

What you can try to do Ray is mix a acid solution using critic acid powder (health food store) and distilled water to try and neutralize the yellowing. Wet the rug first, rub the acid solution in, let stand, rinse away. Repeat as necessary. You should try to do this as soon as possible, the longer stains remain, the harder they are to remove.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I've attached a picture of the stain. The acid solution sounds like it might be worth a shot.
Images
  • 20200418_213505.jpg