• Apr 10th, 2019 2:36 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec

Cleaning car

Hi you all car pros. I have my first pressure washer. A karsher with 2 section for soap.

I was wondering I don’t need a foam gun correct ? I can just put water on the car then turn to soap and put soap and then clean right?

Then which soap do you recommend to use in my karsher to clear the car

Tha ks
24 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Be careful with a pressure washer on a car. Do not get too close to the surfaces as the pressure is very high and can damage it.
Use car wash soap for washing. Never use dish soap.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/ho ... trick-haas

Oh, I suggest you never use a pressure washer in the engine compartment. The high pressure mist and water can get into everything and give you all sorts of electrical problems.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
Pete_Coach wrote: Be careful with a pressure washer on a car. Do not get too close to the surfaces as the pressure is very high and can damage it.
Use car wash soap for washing. Never use dish soap.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/ho ... trick-haas

Oh, I suggest you never use a pressure washer in the engine compartment. The high pressure mist and water can get into everything and give you all sorts of electrical problems.
Nice stuff
Jan 8, 2015
450 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
You just need to cover the alternator, intake and battery with a plastic bag and let everything dry before running either by time or compressed air.
Its not a huge deal with modern engines as rain already gets in there.

2017 WRX did an engine bay detail after the last 2 winters.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I just go to the car wash lol. $4+ is something I can afford.

Damn tire switch overs game me some upper body workout lol.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
sebakaa wrote: You just need to cover the alternator, intake and battery with a plastic bag and let everything dry before running either by time or compressed air.

Just experience talking but I would never again pressure wash an engine bay.
If rain gets in you have larger problem LOL
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Jan 8, 2015
450 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Just experience talking but I would never again pressure wash an engine bay.
If rain gets in you have larger problem LOL

I have a hood scoop. so kind of impossible avoiding water getting in there.
hence my logic
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
I've washed engine bay many times with pressure washer with no ill effects. Just use your head and don't aim for any electrical stuff, and keep some distance to reduce pressure. Dry it with a leaf blower after, go for a drive and leave the hood up after to let the warm engine evaporate any leftover water.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
sebakaa wrote: I have a hood scoop. so kind of impossible avoiding water getting in there.
hence my logic
I hope the hood scoop is directing air into the intake and not just all over the engine compartment.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
ratatapa wrote: Hi you all car pros. I have my first pressure washer. A karsher with 2 section for soap.

I was wondering I don’t need a foam gun correct ? I can just put water on the car then turn to soap and put soap and then clean right?

Then which soap do you recommend to use in my karsher to clear the car

Tha ks
The soap dispensing containers is not the same as a foam gun. A foam gun will produce thicker foam that sticks to the car better than the soap containers. As for what soap, pretty much any that's meant for car washing. I personally use Meguiar's Gold Class.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I just go to the car wash lol. $4+ is something I can afford.

Damn tire switch overs game me some upper body workout lol.
Those $4 to $6 washes add up quick especially when you have multiple cars.

To answer OPs question, no, that soap dispenser is not what you're thinking and will not produce the foam like a foam gun. IMO foam guns are a gimmick and waste of soap anyway. For soap, get chemical guys, much better than mothers/meguiars.

The worst part with using a pressure wash is the waste of time to set up and put away. do yourself a favor and get a y-splitter, hose dedicated to the washer, and an extension hose for the washer. Mine now stays in one place in the back of the garage and I just have to turn it on and wash.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sebakaa wrote: You just need to cover the alternator, intake and battery with a plastic bag and let everything dry before running either by time or compressed air.

It's only 2 bolts to remove the hood cover. Then just drive it through the car wash and then take it on the 401 to air dry. Sparkling clean engine bay in 10 minutes.
Jan 8, 2015
450 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
eclone wrote: Those $4 to $6 washes add up quick especially when you have multiple cars.

To answer OPs question, no, that soap dispenser is not what you're thinking and will not produce the foam like a foam gun. IMO foam guns are a gimmick and waste of soap anyway. For soap, get chemical guys, much better than mothers/meguiars.

The worst part with using a pressure wash is the waste of time to set up and put away. do yourself a favor and get a y-splitter, hose dedicated to the washer, and an extension hose for the washer. Mine now stays in one place in the back of the garage and I just have to turn it on and wash.

Youre a genious. I never even thought of such a thing.
There are times that I am lazy enough to not want to setup the power washer that i will drive to a coin op and wash it there instead.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eclone wrote:
Mine now stays in one place in the back of the garage and I just have to turn it on and wash.
That only works for electric washers, which rarely last over 3 years even when you store them inside over winter.

Got tired of that several years ago and got a gas one. It's a little more pain to setup, but electric one just doesn't compare.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
eclone wrote: Those $4 to $6 washes add up quick especially when you have multiple cars.

True. I only subscribe to one car wash in the pool when two cars may be needing washes. I am too frugal to spend another $4-5 on another vehicle. I will just hose them the doors down with plain water and use a peanut foam so that our clothes don't get dirty. One car doesn't need any pampering at all except some vacuuming as I don't want to be inhaling dust lol.

I'm not a car person. I just make sure all the sap and bird droppings get removed asap. I bought the car so they can be at my service, not the other way around.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: That only works for electric washers, which rarely last over 3 years even when you store them inside over winter.

Got tired of that several years ago and got a gas one. It's a little more pain to setup, but electric one just doesn't compare.
I've been lucky with mine. The AR383 is on its 5th year, always stored indoor over winter. I gave it away and got a XPS3001.

Gas def has its benefits, but it's too loud, space hogging and overkill for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eclone wrote: I've been lucky with mine. The AR383 is on its 5th year, always stored indoor over winter. I gave it away and got a XPS3001.

Gas def has its benefits, but it's too loud, space hogging and overkill for me.
I've heard good things about the AR blue cleaners but never owned one. I went through 3 Karcher electric's and decided no more.

The gas unit is loud and the neighbors probably hate me for it, but it is so satisfying watching it blast through crud. I use it for everything from washing car, rugs, garage floor, weeds. It also works far better with a foam cannon because of the higher pressure, the suds stay on the car for a good 5 minutes giving me plenty of time to wash.

Been thinking of picking up the undercarriage cleaner this year to make salt removal easier.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001029363
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: I've heard good things about the AR blue cleaners but never owned one. I went through 3 Karcher electric's and decided no more.

The gas unit is loud and the neighbors probably hate me for it, but it is so satisfying watching it blast through crud. I use it for everything from washing car, rugs, garage floor, weeds. It also works far better with a foam cannon because of the higher pressure, the suds stay on the car for a good 5 minutes giving me plenty of time to wash.

Been thinking of picking up the undercarriage cleaner this year to make salt removal easier.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001029363
I was pretty tempted to get the Subaru gas washer at costco..because Subaru, but with an aftermarket paint job, it would def strip the paint off. That was the other reason to extending the hose on my electric, to reduce the power.

That under carriage cleaner looks awesome esp at $50. Not sure if it'll work, but you may be able to instead use a floor attachment, flipped, so one tool can serve 2 purposes. Just macgyver a dolly for it.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eclone wrote: I was pretty tempted to get the Subaru gas washer at costco..because Subaru, but with an aftermarket paint job, it would def strip the paint off. That was the other reason to extending the hose on my electric, to reduce the power.

That under carriage cleaner looks awesome esp at $50. Not sure if it'll work, but you may be able to instead use a floor attachment, flipped, so one tool can serve 2 purposes. Just macgyver a dolly for it.
The undercarriage cleaner can be flipped over to work as a floor cleaner too :) Although some say it blasts itself off the ground due to it's light weight - I reckon it depends on the angle you aim it - Newton says so.

$50 is a pretty good deal and the reviews are overall good. I'm pretty OCD with thorough car cleaning after winter.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
Pete_Coach wrote: Use car wash soap for washing. Never use dish soap.
Why is that? Dish soap is pretty much all I've ever used.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)