Home & Garden

Cleaning concrete before installing vinyl flooring?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2017 8:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3501 posts
1608 upvotes
Canada

Cleaning concrete before installing vinyl flooring?

I'm having my basement bathroom done, and next week the vinyl flooring is being installed...the Allure Trafficmaster. How clean does the floor need to be before laying the vinyl flooring? As you can imagine, the contractors have left some drywall dust/paint/drywall mud on the concrete. How clean do I need to get the concrete floor before the vinyl flooring is installed?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2621 posts
2598 upvotes
Montreal
gbill2004 wrote: I'm having my basement bathroom done, and next week the vinyl flooring is being installed...the Allure Trafficmaster. How clean does the floor need to be before laying the vinyl flooring? As you can imagine, the contractors have left some drywall dust/paint/drywall mud on the concrete. How clean do I need to get the concrete floor before the vinyl flooring is installed?
Make sure there's no debris, it's flat (no bump from drywall mud for instance) and it's dry.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
It's going directly on the concrete slab? Who's installing it? Vinyl needs a perfectly clean, flat smooth surface. Every irregularity shows through it.

If the contractor is doing the whole job, they would be cleaning and prepping the floor. If you're doing it yourself, read up on installing vinyl flooring. You can't just roll it out over globs of drywall mud.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3501 posts
1608 upvotes
Canada
torontotim wrote: It's going directly on the concrete slab? Who's installing it? Vinyl needs a perfectly clean, flat smooth surface. Every irregularity shows through it.

If the contractor is doing the whole job, they would be cleaning and prepping the floor. If you're doing it yourself, read up on installing vinyl flooring. You can't just roll it out over globs of drywall mud.
Yes, it is going directly on the concrete slab. The contractor is doing the entire job, but I'm getting a good deal, so am doing a few things here and there to help speed things up. There are no globs of mud, the floor is flat, and mostly clean, just not perfectly clean. Should I be mopping it, or cleaning it with a wet towel? Is soap and/or vinegar good to mix in the water?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2396 posts
1366 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Water is fine after you sweep or vacuum up the area, make sure it's completely dry before its laid down.

And honestly, I'd avoid that trafficmaster products. There are lots of complaints about the seams separating after a few months and problems with it being installed in basements, directly on concrete. Maybe they've gotten better, but probably not.
Spend a bit more now and go with a different product before you're having to rip it out in a year and replace it or spend time trying to fix it
Nov 17, 2013
97 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
schade wrote: Water is fine after you sweep or vacuum up the area, make sure it's completely dry before its laid down.

And honestly, I'd avoid that trafficmaster products. There are lots of complaints about the seams separating after a few months and problems with it being installed in basements, directly on concrete. Maybe they've gotten better, but probably not.
Spend a bit more now and go with a different product before you're having to rip it out in a year and replace it or spend time trying to fix it
I second this, would recommend torlys or other brands.