• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2016 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2005
152 posts
9 upvotes

Cleaning Granite Counter Stains

Hi good folks of RFD, wondering if I could solicit for some ideas on how to get stain out of our granite countertop, did a quick search without much luck.

There has been a couple kimchi related accidents that left our counter with red-ish stains that are beginning to bug the wife. We tried store bought granite cleaners (soaked overnight), baking soda, etc with no luck. Any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

On a separate note, does the granite counter top needs to be periodically maintained / resealed?

Much thanks!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
4265 posts
23520 upvotes
North York
Granite is pourous so it will absorb stains and that is why you need to periodically reseal it-maybe twice a year-some people will tell you that they never reseal it though. You may want to ask a store that sells granite on how to remove the stain. In my opinion, the acid in the kimchi has etched the granite. You can google on how to maintain, clean and remove stains. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Try a mixing a poultice of acetone with flour... then squish and place it on top of the stain, cover with saran wrap, poke holes in top, and leave over night. Replace with new poultice next day. Repeat as necessary. It works for oil stains, but not sure about food coloring.

Was your granite initially sealed? If so, you shouldn't have any major staining problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
There are some products, for e.g. Stone Tech Bullet Proof Stone Sealer that you only apply once, when new and it last the life of the granite, so they say. In my opinion I would seal it maybe every 10 years. I've used it and after about 5 years, I've spilled red wine, ketchup, vinegar etc without any stains even when left overnight. Stone Tech also makes a cleaner for stains, but as recommended, I would ask a granite/stone professional before attempting any procedure as we don't know exactly what you have and what type of sealer you presently have. .
Aug 25, 2007
460 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
On my Quartzite (natural quarried stone harder than Granite but veined like a marble) we seal the surface once a year as recommended by our fabricator. I have seen instances where some manufacturers seal who suggest their sealant will last 10 years, however I have never looked at the warrantee details or know if that company will be in business if/when issues arise.

Sealing is fast and inexpensive, doing it once a year is peace of mind for such an expensive product.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
I usually use a small mixture of baking soda and dish soap with a touch of water. Make it into a paste so its texture is like elmer's liquid school glue, let it sit on the stain until it dries out completely (overnight is good). Wipe it up, and repeat as necessary.
Oct 22, 2005
152 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks for the tips folks. We bought a resell home and this is our first time owning a house with granite anything. We weren't sure if the counter was sealed and didn't realize it would stain this easily. Definitely a learning experience. Feel like we're SOL on this one but will definitely give all your suggestions a try.. nothing to lose here :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
cubiewong wrote: didn't realize it would stain this easily
It should not stain that easily - the kimchi was probably left on the counter for several hours? Also what color is your granite?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
what is kimichi? some kind of sauce?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: what is kimichi? some kind of sauce?
Spicy, pickled, Korean vegetables.

Oct 22, 2005
152 posts
9 upvotes
Also delicious and healthy (I'm not korean but am a kimchi lover)
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1223 upvotes
cubiewong wrote: Also delicious and healthy (I'm not korean but am a kimchi lover)
cute, where do u get it?
how do you eat it? just with rice?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
Funny how this granite thread has evolved into a kimchi thread....
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
This is interesting I'm looking for counters now and I cook a lot of curry , which one should I go with that doesn't stain easily?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
4265 posts
23520 upvotes
North York
Heavenleigh85 wrote: This is interesting I'm looking for counters now and I cook a lot of curry , which one should I go with that doesn't stain easily?
If you can afford it, buy quartz..non porous and does not etch.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
call a countertop expert to sand the counter and seal.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
cubiewong wrote: Also delicious and healthy (I'm not korean but am a kimchi lover)
Very high sodium content ;)
Heavenleigh85 wrote: This is interesting I'm looking for counters now and I cook a lot of curry , which one should I go with that doesn't stain easily?
If you get granite, pick a darker color or one with patterns; seal the granite and you should be fine.

Otherwise quartz is water/stain proof but has a slight artificial look to it.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
On a related note, my previous tenant did not clean the countertop regularly (he was an excellent tenant otherwise) and there was some oil stain on the granite counter, right besides the stove

I did some research on the Internet and one suggested solution was to make a mixture of baking soda, dish detergent, and water, apply the mixture to the stained area and cover it with plastic.

I waited for 24 hour before wiping the counter clean and this is the result. I also sealed the counter and will remind the new tenant to clean after cooking to prevent this from happening again

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)