Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5157 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Cleaning off driveway engine oil

Any suggestion of cleaning off engine oil leaked on the concrete driveway?

Car had an oil leak and got quite a bit on the driveway. I imagine it'll be likely impossibly to clean it completely. But anything I can at least remove some of the oil and/or the stain?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2405 posts
1373 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Brake kleen or wd-40
Jan 17, 2008
69 posts
7 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: Any suggestion of cleaning off engine oil leaked on the concrete driveway?

Car had an oil leak and got quite a bit on the driveway. I imagine it'll be likely impossibly to clean it completely. But anything I can at least remove some of the oil and/or the stain?
OK, here's what i do for engine oil leaks in my garage. I sweep up the really fine dust from all over the garage floor and I put the dust on the oil spill. I sweep the dust back and forth across the oil spill and the dust will pick up the oil. When the dust is saturated with oil, I sweep up the now oily dust and throw it away. Then I repeat with new dust until the stain is almost gone. When the dust doesn't seem to be picking up any more oil, i just leave a layer of dust on the oil spill and it will continue to absorb over time.

I find that the finer the dust, the better. I imagine there are commercial products that do the same thing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5157 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Brake kleen or wd-40
Spray them on and soak up with paper towel I guess?
poymeister wrote: OK, here's what i do for engine oil leaks in my garage. I sweep up the really fine dust from all over the garage floor and I put the dust on the oil spill. I sweep the dust back and forth across the oil spill and the dust will pick up the oil. When the dust is saturated with oil, I sweep up the now oily dust and throw it away. Then I repeat with new dust until the stain is almost gone. When the dust doesn't seem to be picking up any more oil, i just leave a layer of dust on the oil spill and it will continue to absorb over time.

I find that the finer the dust, the better. I imagine there are commercial products that do the same thing.
Was that fresh oil leak in your case? Mine is actually been there for awhile as I didn't have time to get it done. Hope that it'll still work. Maybe instead of "dust", I can try with some dryed-out topsoil, playsand??
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1154 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
Simple Green and a pressure washer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5157 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Drakestar wrote: I just use cat litter.
arh yes, should have thought of this considering I had cats before.

Guess my plan is to try some of the products mentioned to first lift/dissolve the oil abit, the soak up with cat litter then..
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks for the pointers guys...
smitty9999 wrote: Simple Green and a pressure washer.
I've done this before. It works, but might need to do it a few times.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20166 posts
7447 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Pressure washer and dish soap will also work well
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1154 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
Kitty litter and other absorbing material is useless when the oil has soaked into the stone and dried.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1559 posts
879 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Other than aesthetics, is there anything wrong with leaving oil stains untreated?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1703 posts
58 upvotes
Windsor
The BEHR concrete cleaner has worked well enough for me over the years.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Jay-c wrote: I have a bag of absorbent product from Princess Auto, works like a charm on the concrete floor in garage. Never tried it elsewhere but assume it would work same on concrete or asphalt driveways
33 lbs of it! You get a workout just lugging this bag home ;)