Automotive

Clearcoat beginning to peel, can anything be done to save it?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20573 posts
7699 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Clearcoat beginning to peel, can anything be done to save it?

I noticed this and snapped a pic, so far its only in the one spot.
Its an older car but of course i would like to prevent the rest of the car from ending up like this.

IMG_20210407_093449411~2.jpg
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
37 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
Ever waxed regularly? Like once every three weeks in the spring+summer+autumn?
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4462 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Quentin5 wrote: I noticed this and snapped a pic, so far its only in the one spot.
Its an older car but of course i would like to prevent the rest of the car from ending up like this.

Year and Make? Some have been known to fail prematurely.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29124 posts
9650 upvotes
I'd image you might prevent that from peeling right there by maybe carefully cutting or sanding the clear coat off right there and maybe touching it up with more clear. However, I'd imagine this is going to start delaminating in other areas as well, at some point will get to be too many spots to keep trying to chase/fix. Only thing to check for is some kind of warranty extension/class action settlement that might apply if it's a common problem with the make/model. Otherwise maybe get rid of sooner, rather than later?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4440 posts
1911 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Ever waxed regularly? Like once every three weeks in the spring+summer+autumn?
Please tell me you are joking.

Waxing the car every three weeks? LOL

I got my car in 2014 (brand new) and I have waxed it once. Only once. And the clearcoat is not peeling off.

Who has time to wax the car every three weeks?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Please tell me you are joking.

I got my car in 2014 (brand new) and I have waxed it once. Only once. And the clearcoat is not peeling off.

I do it ... have been doing so since I got my car in 2015.

Claybar every two months.

Makes it much easier to clean in the winter ... and also wax the windshields so you don't need to use your wipers in the rain ...

My wife's car I claybar and wax every 6 weeks or so in the spring/summer/fall
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4814 posts
6044 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jdmfishingonly wrote: I do it ... have been doing so since I got my car in 2015.

Claybar every two months.

Makes it much easier to clean in the winter ... and also wax the windshields so you don't need to use your wipers in the rain ...

My wife's car I claybar and wax every 6 weeks or so in the spring/summer/fall
Claybar every 2 months and wax every 3 weeks.. means you are sealing contaminants in for those times you wax without claying.

Use a quality wax that lasts longer. Only wax after you clay.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11510 posts
3222 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
To make sure your paint/clear coat last and it looks better a car should be Waxed at least once a year ideally twice a year with a good quality wax that will last around 6 months. if you do not your clear coat is not going to fail after 1 or 2 years however you are doing damage to it as the days go by especially if its parked outside most of the time. You want some sort of protection on the paint so it keeps looking good and lasts.
motomondo wrote: Please tell me you are joking.

Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11510 posts
3222 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
while you cannot fix that one area thats coming off you can probably save the rest of your car if you protect the paint regularly starting now, it will hopefully not continue to peel.

I would wax twice a year at least, maybe 3 or 4 times to make sure you always got a good layer of protection on the paint with this quality wax - https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-c ... lecoat-9oz

Quentin5 wrote: I noticed this and snapped a pic, so far its only in the one spot.

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Claybar every 2 months and wax every 3 weeks.. means you are sealing contaminants in for those times you wax without claying.

Use a quality wax that lasts longer. Only wax after you clay.
I don't have any yellows spots on the car ...

It's because it is washed thoroughly and not brake dust sits ....

I have been using the Turtle Wax Car Wash Liquid with Shampoo ... mixed with HOT water in a bucket ....
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4462 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
cristianosham wrote: honda civic
Honda have had paint and clear coat issues over the last 20 or so years. If it was a different make you could probably do a spot repair as a one-off and call it a day. But given it’s a Honda there’s a good chance that it’s just going to get worse over time as it spreads.

Paint Is Now Peeling On Some New Honda Accord, HR-V, Fit Models, What You Should Do
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/paint-n ... -should-do

Honda owners express concerns after paint peels off their new cars
https://abc11.com/honda-new-cars-car-finance/5389370/

Honda's Peeling Paint and Clear Coat Issues
http://www.hondaproblems.com/peeling-paint/
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11510 posts
3222 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What color is the car?
jdmfishingonly wrote: I don't have any yellows spots on the car ...

I have been using the Turtle Wax Car Wash Liquid with Shampoo ... mixed with HOT water in a bucket ....
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4814 posts
6044 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jdmfishingonly wrote: I don't have any yellows spots on the car ...

That's fine, I'm sure your car is well above average in terms of cleaniness. Just pointing out that you could probably be just as good without having to wax every 3 weeks(and possibly doing more harm by doing it when you haven't clayed).

Regardless, eventually the claying will get rid of the contaminants, you just have to work harder to do it if you've waxed over contaminants.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
sickcars wrote: What color is the car?
White

I love it when the neighbour across the street is blinded by the glare coming from both cars.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11510 posts
3222 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Have you ever used an Iron remover? It would likely find some small iron/rust spots that are hard to see.
jdmfishingonly wrote: White

I love it when the neighbour across the street is blinded by the glare coming from both cars.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Have you ever used an Iron remover? It would likely find some small iron/rust spots that are hard to see.
Hmmm ... Guess that would probably save me a bit more time and energy. I'll look into that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29124 posts
9650 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Who has time to wax the car every three weeks?
I agree, it's way too time consuming even to do once/year. It's always a day+ job if you want to do everything from deep clean, decon, compound, polish, wax/sealant. Even if you skip one part like the compound for paint that is otherwise in good condition, it still takes a long time.

This is why I ceramic coated both my cars now--in theory should last way longer. What kind of suck though is the black one gets water spotted quite a bit and for whatever reason if I go through the touchless wash with it, it doesn't really get that clean--the sides always look dirty still :| The other car looks great after going through the automated one, and I used the exact same coating so I don't get it. Stupid black cars :facepalm: I'm hand washing it every week now...
Oct 16, 2019
174 posts
88 upvotes
use synthetic sealant, usually last 3 months in summer, 5 months in winter. I only wax my car 3 times a year, it seems enough to me. while the process is very time consuming, it's very relaxing at the same time. I just bring a tablet out in the garage, play some podcast while I work on my car.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5850 posts
2390 upvotes
Debtario
Makes sense it's a Honda, the worse clear coat damage I've seen has been on older civics on the hood/roof/trunk. Looks like something corrosive got splashed on them.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"