15 posts
80 upvotes

Clearly.ca - 40% OFF Lenses Of Glasses & Sunglasses

Deal Link:
Savings:
40% Off
Retailer:
Clearly
Clearly.ca is having a Canada Day sale with 40% off lenses of glasses and sunglasses.
This includes sun and blue light lenses.

(Use code: CANADA40)

There are also glasses starting at $9.
(https://www.clearly.ca/glasses)
Last edited by airartaura on Jun 30th, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7599 posts
3679 upvotes
Clearly's frames are a little larger than what I am looking for. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get quality smaller frames online?
Dec 31, 2012
178 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa
Are their transitional lenses any good? Reviews? How long do they take to transition from indoor to outdoor light. I want to get a cheap pair for when I'm camping. I get tired of switching between sunglasses and normal glasses.

Side note: I have their sunglasses and a pair of normal glasses and they are great. Their customer service was really good in helping me exchange my frames twice.
Oct 11, 2005
782 posts
1517 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I've upvoted because I like supporting Canadian companies (have used Clearly for the longest time -- don't forget to use Rakuten for 6% CB, plus some discount codes that might be useful), but I've also recently discovered EyeBuyDirect.ca, which is much cheaper than Clearly, especially when you get into fancier prescriptions (e.g. multi-focals, etc.). Also, Rakuten gives another 10% CB for EyeBuyDirect.ca plus offers additional discount codes. There's also ZenniOptical.com which is US, but I've heard it can be much cheaper even with USD/CAD conversion, shipping, etc. When you Google any of these, you can see a lot of competition to Clearly which have become much cheaper, so don't be mislead to think Clearly is your best choice (anymore)!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4417 posts
2504 upvotes
choclover wrote: Clearly's frames are a little larger than what I am looking for. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get quality smaller frames online?
Read the sizing guides
Feb 4, 2015
442 posts
991 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CalgaryBen wrote: I've upvoted because I like supporting Canadian companies (have used Clearly for the longest time -- don't forget to use Rakuten for 6% CB, plus some discount codes that might be useful), but I've also recently discovered EyeBuyDirect.ca, which is much cheaper than Clearly, especially when you get into fancier prescriptions (e.g. multi-focals, etc.). Also, Rakuten gives another 10% CB for EyeBuyDirect.ca plus offers additional discount codes. There's also ZenniOptical.com which is US, but I've heard it can be much cheaper even with USD/CAD conversion, shipping, etc. When you Google any of these, you can see a lot of competition to Clearly which have become much cheaper, so don't be mislead to think Clearly is your best choice (anymore)!
You should not buy from Clearly then, because it is not Canadian owned anymore. It was purchased by Essilor (French company), which was then merged with Luxottica (Italian company) so it is basically the most monopolistic evil company out there. (you can google "Luxottica criticism" yourself). This company has strong armed (ie, google "luxottica documentary") lots of small companies and put them under. Luxottica is why you are paying 1,000% markup on your glasses - do you ever wonder how third world countries where people make $1 a day can afford glasses? Because it's just a piece of plastic! Shop Zenni, shop Kits, shop warby Parker, shop anywhere else - do NOT support Luxottica. (fyi, EyeBuyDirect is also Luxottica)
Feb 3, 2013
275 posts
235 upvotes
Victoria
Verdic wrote: You should not buy from Clearly then, because it is not Canadian owned anymore. It was purchased by Essilor (French company), which was then merged with Luxottica (Italian company) so it is basically the most monopolistic evil company out there. (you can google "Luxottica criticism" yourself). This company has strong armed (ie, google "luxottica documentary") lots of small companies and put them under. Luxottica is why you are paying 1,000% markup on your glasses - do you ever wonder how third world countries where people make $1 a day can afford glasses? Because it's just a piece of plastic! Shop Zenni, shop Kits, shop warby Parker, shop anywhere else - do NOT support Luxottica. (fyi, EyeBuyDirect is also Luxottica)
As far as third world countries and eyeglasses go, many are donated. Charities such as Third World Eyecare Society, have professionals such as Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and Opticians who volunteer their time to travel to these countries at their own expense. There they fit presorted donated eyewear to these people who could not normally have access nor afford eyecare. So when done with your eyewear drop it off at an eyeglass collection centre. Some local Lions Club or Kinsmen will take them as well as eyewear shops..
Oct 11, 2005
782 posts
1517 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Verdic wrote: You should not buy from Clearly then, because it is not Canadian owned anymore. It was purchased by Essilor (French company), which was then merged with Luxottica (Italian company) so it is basically the most monopolistic evil company out there. (you can google "Luxottica criticism" yourself). This company has strong armed (ie, google "luxottica documentary") lots of small companies and put them under. Luxottica is why you are paying 1,000% markup on your glasses - do you ever wonder how third world countries where people make $1 a day can afford glasses? Because it's just a piece of plastic! Shop Zenni, shop Kits, shop warby Parker, shop anywhere else - do NOT support Luxottica. (fyi, EyeBuyDirect is also Luxottica)
Thanks for the enlightenment, and the recommendation for other shops! That certainly explains the noticeable creeping up of prices over the years.

This is a worthwhile watch (CBC Marketplace) which echoes what you've stated:

I've never given thought about glasses in third-world countries... but speaking of which, at the end of the buying process (including Clearly.ca and EyeBuyDirect) -- they have an option to "donate" a pair of glasses to someone in need or something like that. Can anyone shed light/experience on this? I usually close my browser without electing this, because it's unclear to me what I'd be opting into or electing for, and what the cost would be, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2185 posts
92 upvotes
PaliGap wrote: As far as third world countries and eyeglasses go, many are donated. Charities such as Third World Eyecare Society, have professionals such as Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and Opticians who volunteer their time to travel to these countries at their own expense. There they fit presorted donated eyewear to these people who could not normally have access nor afford eyecare. So when done with your eyewear drop it off at an eyeglass collection centre. Some local Lions Club or Kinsmen will take them as well as eyewear shops..
Well, ain't that nice of them.

What about Canadians on ODSP and Ontario Works? I think the government only gives them a $100 discount and it can only apply to certain frames and lenses. If your prescription is strong, the glasses can be several $100s. One hundred dollars off is nothing.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
“Clearly” has the cheeapest quality lenses I’ve ever encountered!
Will not buy there again!
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Feb 3, 2013
275 posts
235 upvotes
Victoria
teleguitar wrote: Well, ain't that nice of them.

What about Canadians on ODSP and Ontario Works? I think the government only gives them a $100 discount and it can only apply to certain frames and lenses. If your prescription is strong, the glasses can be several $100s. One hundred dollars off is nothing.
I'd say your comment is a false equivalence.