Shopping Discussion

Clearly contacts ships out 6000-7000 orders a day?!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2012 4:21 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 24, 2012
15 posts
VANCOUVER
Morphius909 wrote: There are a lot of people on here that have insider scoops and talk about ACTUAL FACTS.

Unfortunately you do not. Fact is Optical wear is marked up big time...no different then a lot of consumer products to be fair.

You defending it does not help your cause, nor will anyone take you seriously.

Reality is consumers can get equal quality lens/frames/lens if they are smart. CC is one option of many.

RFD is meant to inform consumers, with tips, tricks, deals and info. You bashing CC without any real logic is a FAIL.
Safety of eyeglasses ordered online is questioned

Tuesday, October 25, 2011
In the United States, a joint study conducted by the American Optometric Association, the Optical Laboratories Association, and The Vision Council questions the safety of prescription eyeglasses ordered online.

The study looked at 200 pairs of glasses for adults and for children ordered over a two-month period in 2010, from 10 of America’s most visited online optical vendors. The researchers received and analyzed a total of 154 pairs of glasses.

Upon arrival, 44.8% of the eyewear had incorrect prescriptions or did not meet physical parameters, including lenses that were not impact resistant. In 29% of cases, at least one lens did not meet the parameters of the prescription. Nearly a quarter of lenses failed impact testing, based on centre thickness and lens treatment. Of the children’s glasses, 29% failed impact testing.

According to the authors, the study shows that consumers lured by the low prices advertised on these sites risk receiving products that are unsatisfactory in terms of quality, value or safety.

Source: http://download.journals.elsevierhealth ... 004064.pdf
Nov 13, 2009
75 posts
5 upvotes
You know where
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: Safety of eyeglasses ordered online is questioned
I would question the validity of any study funded by organizations that have a vested financial interest in the outcome. The American Optometric Association, the Optical Laboratories Association, and The Vision Council?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19636 posts
12709 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: please review my comments and then tell me if i am wrong or right......doesnot matter who is writting....I am trynig to talk about the facts......this is the discussion forum and it means we share our idea and discuss based on our reasons.
Actually it matters a lot who's writing. When someone in the industry with a vested interest or conflict of interest posts something without first disclosing their affiliation then what they write should always be taken with extreme suspicion and skepticism. But when someone in the same situation discloses their industry affiliation when they present their "facts" then readers of their post are more likely to take what they write seriously. They may even see that poster as an authoritative expert on the subject.

You sir, chose the former path. Now you shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction that tactic has resulted in for you.
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: Safety of eyeglasses ordered online is questioned...
To your credit you did divulge the source of that study. I'm inclined to believe that there's at least some element of validity to it, although obviously the study sponsors did have a vested interest to come up with the results they did.

That said, the Marketplace program to which this thread refers showed two pairs of glasses. made from the same prescription, to an optometry professor at UW. One pair was made by CC and the other by Lenscrafters. They didn't tell him which was which. He subjected both pairs to a battery of tests but couldn't find any significant difference in quality between the two. Granted, that's a sample of one. And granted other low-cost online vendors may indeed sell products of inferior quality. But to suggest that many, if not all, such vendors dispense subquality products is an exercise in FUD, a tactic that's commonly employed by high-priced sellers who can't defend their high prices in any other legitimate way.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19636 posts
12709 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
One more thing. From the abstract of the cited article: [QUOTE]BACKGROUND: This study investigated prescription spectacles ordered from online vendors and delivered directly to the public for compliance with the optical tolerance and impact resistance requirements for eyewear dispensed in the United States...

CONCLUSION: Nearly half of prescription spectacles delivered directly by online vendors did not meet either the optical requirements of the patient’s visual needs or the physical requirements for the patient’s safety.[/QUOTE]
Note that the scope of this study was restricted to eyeglasses that were purchased online. The study didn't purchase any eyeglasses from bricks-and-mortar dispensing optician. So we have no idea how the results would differ if the same evaluation of optical tolerance and impact resistance was applied to eyeglasses purchased from conventional hands-on opticians. For all we know the results might be similar or could even be worse.

Of course the study's sponsors and the poster who provided the link want you to assume that conventional hands-on opticians would do a better job. But this study offers no direct proof that they actually do.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8971 posts
2478 upvotes
London
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: please review my comments and then tell me if i am wrong or right......doesnot matter who is writting....I am trynig to talk about the facts......this is the discussion forum and it means we share our idea and discuss based on our reasons....please dont change the rule.....Please explain to me which part of my previous comments isnot right???
Do you work for 'Rumi Optical on Denman'?

Please clear this up.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: ...

Perhaps we should all avoid small time outfits like Rumi Optical in favour of major industry players like Lenscrafters, Sears Optical and Pearle Optical.

After all how can we trust the quality control of some random, small time, operator compared to the industry standards of established companies?
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8971 posts
2478 upvotes
London
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: they are giving thousands of free frames to get """like in facebook""" ...thats it....nothing else .....

Hmmm, I see that Rumi Optical ran these hot deals. Why do you have an issue with Clearly Contacts giving away frames when you did something similar, several times?
HOT DEAL: Rumi Optical - $25 For $150 Worth Of Designer Prescription Eyeglasses And Prescription Sunglasses! (Save $125 or 83% Off)
HOT DEAL REMINDER: Rumi Optical - $19 for $100 Towards The Purchase of Sunglasses Or Complete Eye-Glasses (Save 81% Off)
1 Year Supply of Prescription Contact Lenses and a Fitting
Rumi Optical
Discount: 86%
Deal price: $25
Savings: $155
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2470 posts
340 upvotes
Ajax
If you haven't checked the comments section of that Marketplace piece, you can see that the opticians are out in force. Never have I seen so many comments on what doom and gloom will befall you if you buy something online.
BTW -Love my glasses from online.

From the Marketplace comments forum:

[QUOTE]It is my understanding that certain provincial optometrist societies are sending out frequent notices to their members regarding this Marketplace investigation. These notices encourage members to come to this form and "inform" the public about the "dangers" of purchasing glasses and contacts online.[/QUOTE]
Feb 24, 2012
15 posts
VANCOUVER
Ottomaddox wrote: Hmmm, I see that Rumi Optical ran these hot deals. Why do you have an issue with Clearly Contacts giving away frames when you did something similar, several times?

PLEASE DONT BE CURIOUS WHO I AM...I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH CLEARLY CONTACTS......ACTUALLY CLEARLY CONTACTS(cc) STARTED A NEW REVOULATION IN HIS BUSINESS WHICH IS HONOURABLE...CC REDUCED THE EXPENSE OF EYEWEAR...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8971 posts
2478 upvotes
London
MTOUDEHFALLAH wrote: PLEASE DONT BE CURIOUS WHO I AM...I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH CLEARLY CONTACTS......ACTUALLY CLEARLY CONTACTS(cc) STARTED A NEW REVOULATION IN HIS BUSINESS WHICH IS HONOURABLE...CC REDUCED THE EXPENSE OF EYEWEAR...
Why won't you admit you work for 'Rumi Optical on Denman'?

Here's an interesting fact; the more times we mention 'Rumi Optical on Denman', to higher it will rank on google.
Everyone will see your posts, and wonder why this guy is so defensive, and evasive.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1224 posts
234 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Ottomaddox wrote: Why won't you admit you work for 'Rumi Optical on Denman'?

Here's an interesting fact; the more times we mention 'Rumi Optical on Denman', to higher it will rank on google.
Everyone will see your posts, and wonder why this guy is so defensive, and evasive.

I was just about to head to Rumi Optical on Denman this week to check out their selection but I think I'll go with Clearly Contacts after reading this thread. ;)
Feb 24, 2012
15 posts
VANCOUVER
Ottomaddox wrote: Why won't you admit you work for 'Rumi Optical on Denman'?

I amnot defensive and evasive...I am telling cc and lenscrafter both are doing their business.....i left the following comment:

''''High end brand frames average cost is $150-$200 and lenscrafter selling those$220-$300 that means approxmiately %100 mark up. but Clearly contact average frame cost is (Based on CBC Marketplace) $5-$20 then they sell it between $30-$140 dollar, and this means they mark up %400-%700, so please let me know who is making more money?please be smart....thanks

and """ZORO69"""replied:
Except lensecrafter buys them from themself. All those designer brands are either owned by parent luxottica or have licensed their designer brand to them to slap on glasses they make at very low cost.

I should tell you LUXOTTICA paying millions dollar to designer to keep their license to sell their products....that means even LUXATTICA isnot making huge money...but CC doesnot need to pay those kind of money ....

I still believe CC has more mark up than Lenscrafter...this is all that i am trying to tell...and a again i dont have any problem with cc and i am someone like anybodyelse who likes to share her/his idea....nothing more...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
239 upvotes
First rule on the internet is don't piss it off because it'll come back at you, or at least don't use the same username over many different forums :razz:

Tread lightly on the internets.
signature edited for rule violations
Feb 24, 2012
15 posts
VANCOUVER
flyz wrote: First rule on the internet is don't piss it off because it'll come back at you, or at least don't use the same username over many different forums :razz:

Tread lightly on the internets.

i dont undrestand you....doesnot matter who i am....i am sharing my idea .....do you have any answer to my questions?If yes please go a head....these are the summary of my comments and my answers....if you think i am wrong please let me know.Thanks....
.....I amnot defensive and evasive...I am telling cc and lenscrafter both are doing their business.....i left the following comment:

''''High end brand frames average cost is $150-$200 and lenscrafter selling those$220-$300 that means approxmiately %100 mark up. but Clearly contact average frame cost is (Based on CBC Marketplace) $5-$20 then they sell it between $30-$140 dollar, and this means they mark up %400-%700, so please let me know who is making more money?please be smart....thanks

and """ZORO69"""replied:
Except lensecrafter buys them from themself. All those designer brands are either owned by parent luxottica or have licensed their designer brand to them to slap on glasses they make at very low cost.

I should tell you LUXOTTICA paying millions dollar to designer to keep their license to sell their products....that means even LUXATTICA isnot making huge money...but CC doesnot need to pay those kind of money ....

I still believe CC has more mark up than Lenscrafter...this is all that i am trying to tell...and a again i dont have any problem with cc and i am someone like anybodyelse who likes to share her/his idea....nothing more...

Lenscrafter selling highend brand ant those should be more expensive than no name and knockoff one...in the meantime buying real brand name means we are supporting talented designer to make our life more exciting....Talented designer desire to make money according to their creation.....