• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 2:42 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2006
561 posts
8 upvotes
Markham

Cleats or Staples for Maple Floors?

Hi folks, I've been reading up on cleats vs staples for maple floors. Even though staples are more secure, I've read cleats are better for hardwood floors so it gives it room to expand and contract. Any floor experts in here to shed some light? TIA!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16441 posts
1501 upvotes
Thornhill
Best to ask in the hardwood flooring thread, but I always thought cleats were more secure.

edit: actually did a bit more reading and I see what you mean. Myself, I did a maple install with cleats, but that's all the experience I had with it. Best to ask in the hardwood flooring thread.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1868 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
I've put in about 3000 sq ft of flooring in my places over the years, ranging from 3/4 oak and birch to engineered hardwood and some older thinner planks to match some original flooring in my 110 year old place.

I started with staples 20 years ago, but my more recent work with 3/4" solid birch at the cottage was put in with cleats. They seem to be the fastener of choice these days. It's a 3 season place, not heated or climate controlled at all and the flooring has been perfectly stable for the last couple of winters/summers.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4726 posts
1083 upvotes
Kitchener
I find cleats are more difficult to remove compared to staples, so I would say cleats hold better
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3656 posts
978 upvotes
Ottawa
It's kind of like the question, what's better, automatic or standard. Both are generally good and both have their merits for very specific applications but there's also plenty of fan boys and BS out there.

I've installed a decent amount of maple and tiger wood with cleats in our home in recent years and haven't had any issues. I've got no reason to try staples in the future if I ever lay hardwood again.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1868 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
...one of the other reasons I used cleats on my birch for my last job was I picked up a Bostitch pneumatic flooring cleat nailer and enough cleats for 2000 sq ft for less than $200 used.

Look on Kijiji for tools/cleats. You may find people who bought the tool for their job and are looking to sell once they're done. Beats renting - takes the pressure off.