• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 11:25 am
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
eclone wrote: Excellent, well built seats and Canadian made. Very happy with my Fllo.

Only downside is the fabric can't be removed for cleaning, only seat bottom and headrest. Usually not a problem until your kid has an accident. My wife's RXT can be fully removed to toss into the washer.
There was a time ‘removable cover’ was a must for me but I’ve stopped taking off the car seat covers eversince i bought a Hoover carpet washer. I use a specific upholstery attachment to just wash the whole seat cover in place then rinse and suction off the water and/or soap. Much easier and tons of time saved.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
k847848 wrote: What’s the historical low on the oobr
manho wrote: Don't know about historic. But it was $280 ("shadow") back in March vs $296 now ("pitch black")
Keep in mind that the old oobr shadow was a jersey knit fabric (I think), which is the cheaper fabric. I could be wrong, though. The CZero+ is ~$30 more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
MotoCross817 wrote: Which color combo did you get?
The Liing Chrome is on sale. But the Liing Thunder is not. Im wondering if there is any noticeable difference between these two? As they look the same.
Chrome is the jersey knit fabric, Thunder is the premium CZero+ fabric. Both are nice, but personally we preferred the CZero+.

https://support.clekinc.com/hc/en-us/ar ... car-seats-
Dec 2, 2007
216 posts
513 upvotes
I bought an Oobr on clearance earlier this year. Big fan. Nice design and really solid construction. Bonus that it is a Canadian company.

If you missed any of the deals, keep an eye on their clearance section, and sign up for email promos.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
eclone wrote: Excellent, well built seats and Canadian made. Very happy with my Fllo.

Only downside is the fabric can't be removed for cleaning, only seat bottom and headrest. Usually not a problem until your kid has an accident. My wife's RXT can be fully removed to toss into the washer.
I just registered my Oobr and it’s made in USA so I guess they have different manufacturing facilities (or contractors) for different models. Slight disappointment I have to say.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2019
1297 posts
1456 upvotes
Nunavut
Oobr or the $50 evenflo at toys r us? Besides brand name what is the difference?
Aug 23, 2011
15 posts
2 upvotes
Going to buy another Foonf for our second child. It’s a heavy car seat and we’ve brought it with us to Colorado (don’t recommend) but if you don’t need to move it around, strongly recommend. Also, it’s true the seat can’t be removed for washing but the fabric is very easy to clean. Can’t recommend this seat enough. Simple and safe.
Sep 25, 2007
303 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
hvc wrote: Don't buy yet. These have expiry dates (I know..way off, and some don't "believe" in them), but they regularly have 20% off sales, so I wouldn't worry right now. They had a clearance back in March (keep an eye out for clearance deals on their website: https://clekinc.ca/sale/) where they had some decent colours, including mammoth wool, on for 20% off. I think they also had a sale at SnuggleBugz in March for 20% off, they had a sale last black friday for 20% off, maybe last boxing day? Patience - you've got plenty else to deal with right now.

I'd say anything over 15% just buy it when your baby is around 6-9 months old - once you don't really need the convenience of a bucket seat (~6-9+ months), you can realistically make the swap to a convertible by then - assuming little one meets the required milestones.
Sorry but this isn't accurate; we picked up an Oobr this week. Clek hasn't had a sale on Oobr in over a year, and at most goes on sale twice per year. Boxing day this year was limited to Liing (if I remember correctly, we were bummed out).

Given how quickly the infant seat goes by, and the 9 year expiry, I'd just pick up a foonf now if available. There likely won't be another sale until summer based on our experience.
Sep 25, 2007
303 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
bad2dabonebry wrote: Going to buy another Foonf for our second child. It’s a heavy car seat and we’ve brought it with us to Colorado (don’t recommend) but if you don’t need to move it around, strongly recommend. Also, it’s true the seat can’t be removed for washing but the fabric is very easy to clean. Can’t recommend this seat enough. Simple and safe.
The fabric can fully be removed for washing; we've done it ourselves. It's not a quick process, but very doable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
Elendil wrote: Sorry but this isn't accurate; we picked up an Oobr this week. Clek hasn't had a sale on Oobr in over a year, and at most goes on sale twice per year. Boxing day this year was limited to Liing (if I remember correctly, we were bummed out).

Given how quickly the infant seat goes by, and the 9 year expiry, I'd just pick up a foonf now if available. There likely won't be another sale until summer based on our experience.
Sorry but I never mentioned oobr in my entire post.. I was responding to somebody asking about the convertibles and I bought a foonf in March 2020 or so for 20% off from Snuggle Bugz, Clek also had a similar sale on "clearance" colours - I managed to grab Thunder. I also said they normally do sales ~2x per year, plus clearance sales. They used to do most/all colours, but lately it's been their basic jersey knit colours. Clearance they typically clear out prior year colours that aren't coming back this year - my thunder manufacture date was 12/19.

Also, a summer sale as you point out means a ~6 month old baby, which is a fine time to buy the convertible, as I said...so...thanks for your deep insights? lol
Sep 25, 2007
303 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
hvc wrote: Sorry but I never mentioned oobr in my entire post.. I was responding to somebody asking about the convertibles and I bought a foonf in March 2020 or so for 20% off from Snuggle Bugz, Clek also had a similar sale on "clearance" colours - I managed to grab Thunder. I also said they normally do sales ~2x per year, plus clearance sales. They used to do most/all colours, but lately it's been their basic jersey knit colours. Clearance they typically clear out prior year colours that aren't coming back this year - my thunder manufacture date was 12/19.

Also, a summer sale as you point out means a ~6 month old baby, which is a fine time to buy the convertible, as I said...so...thanks for your deep insights? lol
Not really any need to be so hostile/rude; I was speaking generally - not specifically about Oobr. That's just an example.

In any case, the sale dates are typically: Black Friday, and then a late September sale. My point is, you're making assumptions about what may happen in the future, when they know specifically that they'll need a seat and could save now for little downside. Given the fact that supply chains are strained thanks to COVID and clearly inventory is tight (hence only one colour available), I wouldn't just assume a similar offer will be on hand when it's time to move on from the Liing.
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
@X24Secret thank you for sharing that article.
I read it with horror in the pit of my stomach. It confirms my research on car seat safety.
I have 3 clek seats and planning to buy a clek booster soon.

I’ve had so many arguments with other parents about how all seats are safe because they all have to pass safety standards. I’ve always argued that safety standards are the minimum. The minimum is just that. The absolute minimum. If you did the minimum at work, you’d get fired. If you did the minimum as a parent, your kids would never visit you as adults, if you did the minimum, well you get the gist.

I sacrificed other things to make sure the kids are in the safest seat on the market. This is one area where I refuse to compromise.

The kids will be in that seat for years. Yes it hurts the wallet, but what if the unimaginable happens?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
gemenichic wrote: @X24Secret thank you for sharing that article.
I read it with horror in the pit of my stomach. It confirms my research on car seat safety.
I have 3 clek seats and planning to buy a clek booster soon.

I’ve had so many arguments with other parents about how all seats are safe because they all have to pass safety standards. I’ve always argued that safety standards are the minimum. The minimum is just that. The absolute minimum. If you did the minimum at work, you’d get fired. If you did the minimum as a parent, your kids would never visit you as adults, if you did the minimum, well you get the gist.

I sacrificed other things to make sure the kids are in the safest seat on the market. This is one area where I refuse to compromise.

The kids will be in that seat for years. Yes it hurts the wallet, but what if the unimaginable happens?
Hi you’re welcome for the article. Evenflo got really lucky with the timing of that just before COVID really started to dominate.

The one thing you should keep in mind is unfortunately without uniform testing and requirement to publish those tests performed by manufacturers, it’s truly not possible to figure what is really the “safest”.

That said, in terms of Clek, tests by independent 3rd. party’s seem to show them as some of the safest. The metal frame would certainly have something to do with that but again, just because it’s metal framed it doesn’t automatically mean safe, Diono Radian has a steel core yet it scores lower than a lot of seats as it transfers more force to the kid apparently. The trick is to get the right combo of rigidity and flex in the right places.

I believe we are lucky that in Canada the standards are ever slightly higher than US. I agree, minimum safety is just a baseline, no seat should ‘just’ meet minimum safety.