Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4221 posts
1055 upvotes
West Side GTA

Clogged Toilet - Advice

Upstairs kids bathroom got clogged the other day, unsure how because it's never been clogged before and I know my kid doesn't put things into the toilet (she's not even able to roll yet). Anyhow, tried the following

- plunging the toilet -> bubbles/stuff actually started coming up the bathtub which is adjacent to it.
- used rotary snake through the bathtub and it's coming back clean every time
- plunging the bathtub drain
- when using the vanity sink it drains fine but little air bubbles come up the toilet
- tried using liquid dishsoap and hot water in both bathtub and toilet to "lubricate it out" nada

Some observations
- water level in the toilet bowl and bathtub do eventually go down after 30mins

Any other thoughts or advice or should I call a plumber? Also what's the usual damage for a professional to unclog toilets/bathtubs so I know in advance from Mr. Rooter etc. companies?

TIA from first time home owner
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
It sounds like the clog is somewhere downstream.
Go onto the roof and use the rotary snake down the vent stack.
Then go into the basement and use the rotary snake from the clean out (wait till the water level has dropped first).

And I appreciate you getting your hands dirty. Most people these days just call the plumber right away...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16738 posts
5294 upvotes
London
1. Put the stoppers into drains for the bath tub and the sink to seal them off. Use duct tape to seal the overflows for the bath tub and sink. This makes your plunger pressure at the toilet more effective
2. With enough water in the toilet, plunge it again.
3. Push the plunger 1/2 way down and then work it up and down so as to alternately apply suction and pressure. It may take 5 mins of working the plunger up and down to breakup the plug
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
l69norm wrote: 1. Put the stoppers into drains for the bath tub and the sink to seal them off. Use duct tape to seal the overflows for the bath tub and sink. This makes your plunger pressure at the toilet more effective
2. With enough water in the toilet, plunge it again.
3. Push the plunger 1/2 way down and then work it up and down so as to alternately apply suction and pressure. It may take 5 mins of working the plunger up and down to breakup the plug
That might just cause water to go up and down 1 inch inside the vent stack.
I think there is something in the vent/soil stack or building drain.

Here is what I am talking about.
https://www.balkandraincleaning.com/clo ... -remedies/
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
Did you try snaking the toilet? If you're worried about scratching it, push the snake through a short rubber hose or some other tube to protect the porcelain.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Did you try snaking the toilet? If you're worried about scratching it, push the snake through a short rubber hose or some other tube to protect the porcelain.
If the water is backing up into his tub, I don't think it is clogged at the toilet.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
BDSL wrote: If the water is backing up into his tub, I don't think it is clogged at the toilet.
No, but maybe it will reach the clog from there. Otherwise get a longer snake.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17018 posts
7354 upvotes
Maybe it's too amateur-ish, but I would take the toilet off at that point and run a snake through the floor drain as well as the toilet (from the bottom). You just need to replace the wax gasket (and I would replace the supply line since I am there).

You could also use the clean-out for your stack if your snake is long enough.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Not an expert here, but your clog might be causing a venting issue as well. How long have you lived in the house?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3836 posts
2862 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
You aren't flushing baby wipes, right?

The blockage is probably in the main stack. The easiest way to snake it is through the toilet drain. Pull the toilet and snake the line from there. Doing it from the roof can be risky, especially if you have a steep pitch. I'm going to guess it's right at the toilet to stack connection or somewhere between the second and first floor, otherwise your main floor fixtures would be backing up as well.

If removing the toilet is beyond your comfort level, call a plumber (not Rotorouter). It'll probably be about $250-$450 to have it cleared.