• May 27th, 2020 1:34 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10164 posts
2191 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Clone HDD Software

So my Mechanic has an older laptop running Win7 where he has a lot of specialized software on. I brought it up that he should clone the drive just in case it ever dies on him. So he was asking what the best free (unless there is a valid reason to pay) for closing software.
The idea is to have a spare hdd with the clone and when it dies he pops in the other HDD and hes back up ad running.

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5416 posts
4076 upvotes
If that's his livelyhood, you better advise him to get another laptop of the same model in case something beyond HD dies and don't connect that thing to the internet.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2995 posts
1849 upvotes
Montreal
+1 Macrium reflect
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4237 posts
1528 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been using Acronis. Is Macrium Reflect better?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2331 posts
1590 upvotes
Markham
CaptSmethwick wrote: I've been using Acronis. Is Macrium Reflect better?
General consensus by those who used both is Macrium Reflect is better and a giant bonus in its favour is its also free(you can buy a full version but most only need the free one). If Acronis hasn't failed you yet and you've already paid for it, I'd say get the most out of it. If it fails, stop using it because Acronis support hasn't been great.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10164 posts
2191 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Nice thanks guys,

Macrium Reflect Looks pretty good
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10164 posts
2191 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It does not go on the internet at all.

But yea I know I mentioned that to him too. Hes using some older dell thats falling apart slowly lol. But it because he needs some of the serial ports on it sometimes. I mentioned usb to serial but that can be a hit and miss. Might have to move him to a newer laptop at some point & try

Xtrema wrote: If that's his livelyhood, you better advise him to get another laptop of the same model in case something beyond HD dies and don't connect that thing to the internet.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3935 posts
1689 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Make not just one copy but two (or more). Try updating one of the drives to Win 10 (has the advantage that it will boot up, eventually, on different computers even with different-brand CPUs) so that if his old computer ever dies, the s/w can sit run.
sickcars wrote: But yea I know I mentioned that to him too. Hes using some older dell thats falling apart slowly lol. But it because he needs some of the serial ports on it sometimes. I mentioned usb to serial but that can be a hit and miss. Might have to move him to a newer laptop at some point & try
His computer is still using RS-232??? More impressive if it is 25 pin!
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Sep 13, 2011
716 posts
417 upvotes
Québec
No, but Macrium has a free version.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4237 posts
1528 upvotes
Ottawa
elgros4 wrote: No, but Macrium has a free version.
Ah, I got my copies of Acronis with my SSDs so mine were free-ish...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2765 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
I used Acronis for several years, but ended up switching to Macrium Reflect. Acronis got unreliable, and I couldn't trust it with my backups any more after a couple of failures. The Macrium UI is not the most straightforward, but it works reliably.

There are 2 main shortcomings with the free version of Macrium Reflect:

1. Incremental backup disabled - only differential allowed.

2. Backup encryption disabled.

There are other free backup apps that do both, but I've tried them all and they have too many flaws: too slow, poor backup management, or the worst fault - unreliable.

But for the OP's purpose, any disk/partition copier will do, including the free version of Paragon currently available.
Sep 13, 2011
716 posts
417 upvotes
Québec
Scote64 wrote: I used Acronis for several years, but ended up switching to Macrium Reflect. Acronis got unreliable, and I couldn't trust it with my backups any more after a couple of failures. The Macrium UI is not the most straightforward, but it works reliably.

There are 2 main shortcomings with the free version of Macrium Reflect:

1. Incremental backup disabled - only differential allowed.

2. Backup encryption disabled.

There are other free backup apps that do both, but I've tried them all and they have too many flaws: too slow, poor backup management, or the worst fault - unreliable.

But for the OP's purpose, any disk/partition copier will do, including the free version of Paragon currently available.
Wich version of acronis where you using ? I never had any issue with the linux boot in 15 years.