Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
2273 posts
53 upvotes
I have had both the hc1 and hc3
The one your looking at is the hc2
Their all decent but the fob outside of hc3 feel cheap
They aren’t as durable as a compustar which I prefer over

But the module itself is very good as both compustar and Idata are in bed together
Think of idata as Toyota and compustar as Lexus
Both are great but I prefer the feel of the compustar
Basically unless you need extra alarm features then the idata is fine

You can probably install it yourself with the Toyota harness as it’s plug and play which also works on both compustar or idata modules
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1504 posts
1827 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I've got the single button 2 way with my BMW. It's great. I didn't want a replacement for the stock fob. Small enough not to get in the way, great range.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5292 posts
1888 upvotes
I just installed the HCX in one of my vehicles, literally easiest thing i've ever done on any car, especially with the t-harness. Literally took longer removing the panels to gain access than installing and programming the module.

iDataStart makes great products, never thought I would be able to get a starter and harness for ~$200. Also for anyone in the Markham area I highly recommend the guys at Lockdown Security
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2818 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had this, not complaints. But the range isn't even close to what the advertise. Even in straight line of sight. But for most people it should be good enough.

The installation isn't easy if it's your first time, but they install it for you so that's not your worry. One thing you MUST, MUST insure is that they install that thing, forgot its name, in the hood that de-activates it. Many shops don't do it. Imagine you playing with the belt in the engine bay and someone accidentally starts the car.
Someone's gonna have a bad time.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2818 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joshmxpx wrote: I just installed the HCX in one of my vehicles, literally easiest thing i've ever done on any car, especially with the t-harness. Literally took longer removing the panels to gain access than installing and programming the module.
Funny you said the opposite. For me, it took me some time to figure out what the t-harness is for. Once I did, it was easy. But it was a hassle to program it on the internet.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5292 posts
1888 upvotes
canoek wrote: I had this, not complaints. But the range isn't even close to what the advertise. Even in straight line of sight. But for most people it should be good enough.

The installation isn't easy if it's your first time, but they install it for you so that's not your worry. One thing you MUST, MUST insure is that they install that thing, forgot its name, in the hood that de-activates it. Many shops don't do it. Imagine you playing with the belt in the engine bay and someone accidentally starts the car.
Someone's gonna have a bad time.
Depending on the car, hood sensor should be built into CANBUS. On my car (2017 Kia) it was automatic and I didn't need to install the included hood pin. I tested it out post-install to ensure that the engine cuts off if the hood is opened, and that it does not start if the hood is opened.
canoek wrote: Funny you said the opposite. For me, it took me some time to figure out what the t-harness is for. Once I did, it was easy. But it was a hassle to program it on the internet.
Lockdown Security (where I purchased) pre-programmed the module for me based on the car it was going into. They will also allow you to buy the programming cable and return it when you're done programming for full refund.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2818 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joshmxpx wrote: Depending on the car, hood sensor should be built into CANBUS. On my car (2017 Kia) it was automatic and I didn't need to install the included hood pin. I tested it out post-install to ensure that the engine cuts off if the hood is opened, and that it does not start if the hood is opened.
Didn't know that. I may have wasted hours trying to install it. Getting the wire through the firewall (?) is not easy without messing it up.

Lockdown Security (where I purchased) pre-programmed the module for me based on the car it was going into. They will also allow you to buy the programming cable and return it when you're done programming for full refund.
Exact same thing, bought and programmed by LD Sec. But I still had to connect to the PC for something. It could just be that I re-did what they already did because I am stupid. I was all over the place frankly, and didn't even follow the instructions completely (turn off, on, brake, race, etc in some sequence). I was really surprised that it actually worked.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1211 posts
1118 upvotes
Clarington, ON
joshmxpx wrote: I just installed the HCX in one of my vehicles, literally easiest thing i've ever done on any car, especially with the t-harness. Literally took longer removing the panels to gain access than installing and programming the module.

iDataStart makes great products, never thought I would be able to get a starter and harness for ~$200. Also for anyone in the Markham area I highly recommend the guys at Lockdown Security
At this price point, with the suggested ease of install, I'm contemplating this for at least one of our cars. Is it just the module and t-harness you need for most vehicles - that is it?
Aug 14, 2006
960 posts
90 upvotes
I'm also looking for a Starter for 19 civic manual with keystart. I think I'm going to reach out to Lockdown for a "Fortin" option. Seems to have a plug and play solution.

Anyone else with a Manual Honda get a starter recently?
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5292 posts
1888 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: At this price point, with the suggested ease of install, I'm contemplating this for at least one of our cars. Is it just the module and t-harness you need for most vehicles - that is it?
Yes, most makes after 2011 will just need module and t-harness for factory fob remote start. For $129 add on you can get telematics module which allows you to use app on your phone, no monthly fees in quebec an ontario
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3421 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
Got this on my 2016 rx 350, previous owner had it setup, works well

But as some others say, distance is not the greatest, but from my house to driveway does the job