None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45421 posts
8443 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Close one... This ever happen to you?

There was a yellow light. It was clearly yellow before I even touched the intersection. I sped up to beat it. I cleared it before the light turned red. I was staring @ the light non-stop.. I knew it was yellow. I made it due to the SPEEEED.

Then I noticed a T.O COP ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!! He puts on his cherries and does a Youtube. I was mentally preparing my "pleeeeaseeee officerrrr sob sob" story.
I still had time to think. I was at another red light, and a mini van was behind me blocking the cop... Behind the minivan was the cop honking his horn and flashing his lights.
I was done for... Until the I realize the cop was actually pulling over the minivan!

SAFE! I realized 'oh yeh... The minivan was right on my ass... He must have ran that red light...'.
I thought I was gonna get ticketed for doing 15 over.
or maybe he saw me clear the yellow and thought he could do. Did I trick him into thinking he could do it too?
My ass was SAVED!

Has this happened to anyone? Where you did something bad, and thought you were gonna get pulled over... But the cop went for someone else.
27 replies
May 5, 2009
616 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Coming off a bridge into a speed trap and the cops steps out and points me to pull over. He must of saw someone screaming over the bridge cause the point to the sidewalk turned into a wave like move the F out of the way. I pulled over anyway and watched the officer get the other car. Waited a few minutes without the officer even glancing my way and I drove off.

The other guy must of been flying for the cop to tell me to beat it lol.
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
About 2 years ago I was doing a good 80+ km/h in a 50 zone when I saw the cop. Then someone blew past me to my right and cut in front of me to overtake another car. I wasn't the one who got stopped :) Another time I was again doing well over the speed limit when I saw the cop, watched him put down his radar gun and hit the flashing lights, he pulled out behind me... and pulled over the car that was in my blind spot and was following me in the next lane over.

I've never had a speeding ticket in over 20 years of driving, but only by sheer blind luck!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5854 posts
2032 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Not much of a cop, saw one once pull one person over must of noted his name and plate number and got out and told him to stay put then went after the other person, pretty much same scenario as op, rcmp though. Two birds at the same time I guess.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3021 posts
1611 upvotes
Mississauga
Obey traffic laws please
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
I was traveling back from blue mountain on the 400. I was doing about 140on the left lane. I came over a small hill and there was a bridge coming up.. What do I see, an OPP car perpendicular to the road. He was well camouflaged by some small hills of snow.

I yelled out f*********k, my passengers were startled.. Then they saw the cop.. and they were all like - oh ***** , how fast you going? I was like bro, tooo fast. So I move over to the right lane in anticipation for the cop to pull out with the cherries..

Oh the cop pulls out all right, but to pursue a jeep that was further behind me.

I have no idea how he got the other guy over me.

Anyway, that was my lucky break.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: There was a yellow light. It was clearly yellow before I even touched the intersection. I sped up to beat it. I cleared it before the light turned red. I was staring @ the light non-stop.. I knew it was yellow. I made it due to the SPEEEED.

Then I noticed a T.O COP ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!! He puts on his cherries and does a Youtube. I was mentally preparing my "pleeeeaseeee officerrrr sob sob" story.
I still had time to think. I was at another red light, and a mini van was behind me blocking the cop... Behind the minivan was the cop honking his horn and flashing his lights.
I was done for... Until the I realize the cop was actually pulling over the minivan!

SAFE! I realized 'oh yeh... The minivan was right on my ass... He must have ran that red light...'.
I thought I was gonna get ticketed for doing 15 over.
or maybe he saw me clear the yellow and thought he could do. Did I trick him into thinking he could do it too?
My ass was SAVED!

Has this happened to anyone? Where you did something bad, and thought you were gonna get pulled over... But the cop went for someone else.
You know it's illegal to run a yellow light right? You're supposed to stop if you can... not speed up. You can get a $180 fine for 'failure to stop at an amber light'

Amber light
(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1852 posts
1544 upvotes
Waterloo
you can only be ticketed for speeding if

1. radar gunned
2. police pace match behind you to check speed

if you were to be pulled over for speeding and the cops did not do the above, its an easy win in court as they don't have proof that you were speeding. eyeballing it does NOT count.
Dec 27, 2009
47 posts
129 upvotes
Markham
For those speeding in residential area, think about kids behavior. For example when kids play the ball or toy when walking on the sidewalk. If the ball or toy is out of control and bounce to the road, they will not look if there is a car coming and just dart out to capture the ball/toy.
Personally I experienced this twice, one time a small kid about 3-4 years with a ball in his hand and walking with his father, I think he just carried the ball, and suddenly the ball fell out of his hand and bounced the road, the kid just jumped on the road, although his father was hold his hand at that time, fortunately I was driving under speed limit and stopped immediately. His father was screaming on his son and later repeated 'thank you' to me.
For parents with young kids, do not let them play or carry toys on the sidewalk with lots of traffic on the road.
Mar 9, 2014
934 posts
560 upvotes
Ottawa
daivey wrote: I yelled out f*********k, my passengers were startled.. Then they saw the cop.. and they were all like - oh ***** , how fast you going? I was like bro, tooo fast.
For some reason I could vividly picture this scene based on this description
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2992 posts
528 upvotes
Pickering
Few days ago went through a late yellow, would of been a screeching stop if I had to, left turning car opposite of me had to stop it's left turn abruptly when I went through, and of course it was a cop :facepalm: . The oh sh*t look on my face, but he never did a U-turn to tell me off ;) .

I couldn't see the cop ahead of time due to a left turning truck going my way blocking my view.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2878 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Sicklyslick wrote: you can only be ticketed for speeding if

1. radar gunned
2. police pace match behind you to check speed

if you were to be pulled over for speeding and the cops did not do the above, its an easy win in court as they don't have proof that you were speeding. eyeballing it does NOT count.
It would take work to disprove the cop's visual assesment: http://www.lawfirms.com/resources/crimi ... ticket.htm
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12034 posts
2641 upvotes
A many years ago on my commute to work I used to make a left onto a 3 lane street where the right lane was a reserved lane.

I would make my way to the right lane because in 2 blocks I make a right into the Esso (like I did every morning to grab a coffee from Timmies).

Then 2 cop cars stopped the car in front of me, myself and 2-3 cars behind me. They were stopping cars in masses and ticketing them for using the reserved lane. The cop instructs the first car to drive into a side street where I see more cop cars. I come up and I hear on the cop's radio, "let the red hatch go". Cops tells me to go. The Esso was at the side street. I pull in and saw that I was the only one not pulled over.

I guess they were measuring cars in that lane from before I turned left? I'm glad made the effort to monitor individual cars. That could have easily been a ticket for being at the wrong place/wrong time.
Jun 9, 2007
730 posts
113 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
What a story...LOL. Thank god!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14725 posts
9145 upvotes
Toronto
RFD is not your blog.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2051 posts
552 upvotes
Woodbridge
Long long time ago driving north on allen rd between eglinton and lawrence. Probably doing 105km/h on an 80 zone. Got pulled over, and as I was talking to the cop and about to give him my documents a porsche screams by probably at least doing 120-130km/h. Cop screams at me "it's your lucky day" and runs to the car and chases and later on pulls the porsche on the 401.
May 20, 2015
132 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
few months ago i was driving while talking on the cellphone. Then I notice a cop on the far right lane from me..we were stuck in traffic. He clearly saw me, he didnt know what to do because he was stuck in traffic and was a bit ahead of me.

At the same time we were approaching a set of lights, since i was on the Left lane I did a quick U-Turn. and left as quick as I can before he can pull a maneuver to get behind me somehow. Lucky we were in traffic

I was so scared, but i was happy to get away from that ticket.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45421 posts
8443 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
durrsak wrote: Long long time ago driving north on allen rd between eglinton and lawrence. Probably doing 105km/h on an 80 zone. Got pulled over, and as I was talking to the cop and about to give him my documents a porsche screams by probably at least doing 120-130km/h. Cop screams at me "it's your lucky day" and runs to the car and chases and later on pulls the porsche on the 401.
I don't think a close call, can get any closer then that!
He practically had his pen do half a pen stroke on the ticket.