Health & Wellness

Close the Toilet Lid When You Flush

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 3:41 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
646 upvotes

Close the Toilet Lid When You Flush

It is really a big thing in Asia.

Not so much in USA and Canada?

I want to know how many people "do" it here.
In the field of science (yep, there's science about this!), it's called the "toilet plume," a.k.a. the germs and fecal matter that get shot upwards — up to 15 feet high! — with the force created by the sudden gush of water.

"Research suggests that this toilet plume could play an important role in the transmission of infectious diseases for which the pathogen is shed in feces or vomit," the scientists wrote in the American Journal of Infection Control. "The possible role of toilet plume in airborne transmission of norovirus, SARS, and pandemic influenza is of particular interest."
Last edited by Sgtalpowell on Feb 10th, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Member
Feb 6, 2011
233 posts
51 upvotes
you have to close the cover when flushing coz bacteria and virus goes up when you flush the toilet.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
11172 posts
2217 upvotes
I "do it here" as soon as I read the first study about it many years ago. Not possible in many public washrooms though :(
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one even after you are fully vaccinated.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
297 upvotes
Pluto
Always. I read somewhere years ago everything in your washroom gets covered with microscopic fecal particles if you flush without closing the lid, and ever since then I always close lid.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
646 upvotes
Purgatory wrote: Always. I read somewhere years ago everything in your washroom gets covered with microscopic fecal particles if you flush without closing the lid, and ever since then I always close lid.
Lab experiment shows even if the lid is closed, the particles still spread, but less...
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3358 posts
814 upvotes
Vancouver
Always close the lid when I flush. Even better is getting a soft close lid so you can just push the lid closed as you flush. Don't have to worry about it slamming.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes
what about at the work place the toilet seats dont have covers/lids they are the round horseshoe shaped ones. how do we close that? hah?
Hi
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
646 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: what about at the work place the toilet seats dont have covers/lids they are the round horseshoe shaped ones. how do we close that? hah?
What kind of workplace?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes
Office, factory, school, etc, do you have no idea what kind of toilet seat i'm talking about? or lack of toilet seat lid i should say?
Hi
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
11172 posts
2217 upvotes
Nothing you can do at public washrooms (as I said yesterday), that's when you have to count on your immune system.
GoodFellaz wrote: what about at the work place the toilet seats dont have covers/lids they are the round horseshoe shaped ones. how do we close that? hah?
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one even after you are fully vaccinated.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9706 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
The plumes in the TTC washrooms must go all the way to the tracks.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1218 posts
598 upvotes
TORONTO
Ever wonder what is falling on your toothbrush, that you unknowingly(or knowingly) brush into your mouth?
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
646 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: Office, factory, school, etc, do you have no idea what kind of toilet seat i'm talking about? or lack of toilet seat lid i should say?
I went to the mall's washroom today. I see what you meant.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
646 upvotes
akswun wrote: Ever wonder what is falling on your toothbrush, that you unknowingly(or knowingly) brush into your mouth?
You put them inside the cupboard?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1685 posts
1138 upvotes
tsinoboy wrote: you have to close the cover when flushing coz bacteria and virus goes up when you flush the toilet.
Thanks, I needed that. Not like the OP wasn't clear, already.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1685 posts
1138 upvotes
82 wrote: I "do it here" as soon as I read the first study about it many years ago. Not possible in many public washrooms though :(
Do you sit and pee? Lots of splatter if you stand. Oh, if you do sit and pee, do you wash the cheeks, after? LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1105 posts
341 upvotes
Regina, SK
I close the lid. Whenever I have this conversation with someone who does not close the lid I tell them to try it for a week or two and pay attention the splatter that needs to be cleaned from the inside of the lid. When people start seeing the physical evidence they tend to change their habit.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4952 upvotes
Here 'n There
Esp in a public washroom as someone with the corona could just have used it and it is now known that corona can be spread thorough aerosol.

Top