[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver

Closed

Thanks for your participation.
Last edited by vipjn on May 9th, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Share:
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5279 posts
2844 upvotes
Toronto
Test drive everything. No need to ask for what other people like, etron or sub compact cuv. Pick the one you like the most and buy it!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Corolla.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 2, 2017
703 posts
489 upvotes
Q3 is very reliable car, if you're into CUVs. It also looks like Q8 with the redesign.. so you can satisfy your luxury itch without blowing the bank
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
You're all over the place with your budget and vehicle selections.
Whichever vehicle you go with, make sure you buy extended warranty.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13657 posts
7792 upvotes
Toronto
yawn at that list of options OP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
peteryorkuca wrote: Test drive everything. No need to ask for what other people like, etron or sub compact cuv. Pick the one you like the most and buy it!
Thank you for encouraging me! :) That's the impulsive side of me thinking. But realistically is any choice I have above with manageable expenses for 3-5 years of ownership?
Was told Mercedes are better than BMWs in terms of repairs and maintenance. Lexus is reliable for sure, but not as fun.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
azmongold wrote: Q3 is very reliable car, if you're into CUVs. It also looks like Q8 with the redesign.. so you can satisfy your luxury itch without blowing the bank
I will go for a test drive! Thank you!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1429 posts
1260 upvotes
So are you looking for a lightly used (1 year) luxury CUV in the 35-50k range? BMW X1 and Volvo XC40 are probably the most fun to drive/best all around too. Check out Acura RDX too. You can probably widen your range to X3, Q5, GLC class.
If you're ok with the Mazda badge, go and try the new CX-05 turbo. The interior/exterior is on par with the luxury segment and it's fun too.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2969 posts
2878 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vipjn wrote: Thank you for encouraging me! :) That's the impulsive side of me thinking. But realistically is any choice I have above with manageable expenses for 3-5 years of ownership?
Was told Mercedes are better than BMWs in terms of repairs and maintenance. Lexus is reliable for sure, but not as fun.
Honestly the first advice on test driving everything is still the best. There's no point settling for a car on paper if you haven't driven it. Do you have any real "must have requirements" (fuel mpg, seating/space, suv vs car, 2 doors vs 4, CarPlay/AndroidAuto, etc) or just shopping for anything with the luxury badge?

Don't kid yourself, any car (especially a German one) can be expensive to maintain and repair if things break outside of warranty. Even though the newish cars will still have warranty you still have to pay for maintenance and follow the service schedule in the manual. Look up the price of an oil change, spark plugs, air filters, brakes, transmission fluid change, etc. since you are buying to own. The small things can add up very quickly when you use OEM parts (even at an independent shop labour prices). Some of the easy stuff you can do yourself.

I would choose a JCW Mini over all the options you listed, but i prioritize fun over the badge. It's mostly the BMW parts bin anyways. I ended up in a VW Golf R but again I probably had different priorities (i specifically wanted a fun sporty car without a luxury badge). The new Mazda's have a beautiful interior, but are kind of boring IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3831 posts
3925 upvotes
Swerny wrote: yawn at that list of options OP
Indeed

Psedoluxury at best. None of the cars here are actual luxury cars. Wanna be luxury? Sure
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Dec 10, 2007
621 posts
446 upvotes
Arviat
Also consider a Golf GTI or R. If you're thinking about a Mini, this is a much better hatchback.
You're still getting a German vehicle, yes it does not necessarily have a luxury badge, but at least it is not "basic" compared to the entry level luxury cars you mentioned.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13123 posts
1945 upvotes
Toronto
That’s a low budget. Might as well buy a loaded 2019 Mazda 3 since that’s more in line with your budget. Very luxurious. Makes entry level cars from luxury brands look bad.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
trixstar wrote: That’s a low budget. Might as well buy a loaded 2019 Mazda 3 since that’s more in line with your budget. Very luxurious. Makes entry level cars from luxury brands look bad.
Yea, there isn't much point buying the entry level cars, might as well just buy the fully loaded version of a regular brand. They really don't offer much other than the brand. It will come with more options and be way cheaper.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3110 posts
4177 upvotes
Edmonton
Usually I don't recommend luxury cars but the new Audi Q3 looks nice and more spacious than your choices, starts at $38,900.

Just don't get the weird orange interior accents. Brown leather would be nice

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Ecsta wrote:
I would choose a JCW Mini over all the options you listed, but i prioritize fun over the badge. It's mostly the BMW parts bin anyways. I ended up in a VW Golf R but again I probably had different priorities (i specifically wanted a fun sporty car without a luxury badge). The new Mazda's have a beautiful interior, but are kind of boring IMO.
Mini was on my list until I heard of repair horror stories. And I used to own the VW Golf too, so definitely looking to upgrade from that this time.
Thanks for your input!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1429 posts
1260 upvotes
trixstar wrote: That’s a low budget. Might as well buy a loaded 2019 Mazda 3 since that’s more in line with your budget. Very luxurious. Makes entry level cars from luxury brands look bad.
50k for a used car is a low budget? Really? There are tons of options. Didn't know there were so many ballers in this threads.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Blubbs wrote: Usually I don't recommend luxury cars but the new Audi Q3 looks nice and more spacious than your choices, starts at $38,900.

Just don't get the weird orange interior accents. Brown leather would be nice

Very nice! I watched the video review!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Hindenburg1 wrote: 50k for a used car is a low budget? Really? There are tons of options. Didn't know there were so many ballers in this threads.
I know right. I said specifically entry level and I admit I'm a newbie. Nowhere near Porsche, Lambo, or Ferraris as the ballers... lol

Thank you! :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1651 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Hindenburg1 wrote: So are you looking for a lightly used (1 year) luxury CUV in the 35-50k range? BMW X1 and Volvo XC40 are probably the most fun to drive/best all around too. Check out Acura RDX too. You can probably widen your range to X3, Q5, GLC class.
If you're ok with the Mazda badge, go and try the new CX-05 turbo. The interior/exterior is on par with the luxury segment and it's fun too.
Coming from a Versa, and previously a Golf, I like the smaller footprint. You know how big the newer cars are these days. I don't think I would go with Sedans, but probably a crossover/small SUV, or hatchback.
Thanks for your suggestions.