CLOSED (permanently) - Best Buy North York Empress Location

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 3:33 am
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2443 posts
2045 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Chrispy wrote: I'd actually say this closure is more to do with the location and inability to retrofit it to their new store styles that you can see elsewhere (like Sherway in Toronto, Cambie in Van, etc...)

Best Buy itself as a business has actually been doing much better lately since they started to change the way their stores are run. But I think the days of how it was in the past and especially when Future Shop was still around are for sure long gone - so yea we will probably continue to see more changes (for better or worse).
Best Buy has gone through somewhat of a small revival, that's why I'm a bit skeptical of people who say they're doomed.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Unless too many people really are saying no to a Geek Squad membership.
Who in their right mind would ever say yes to this?

I do have to applaud whoever thought of this though. $20/month from suckers that don't know any better?
I'd do it too because I like money more than I have morals.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1340 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
webshark wrote: Best buy will be gone in a few years. They got rid of the 10% price match and the CS is terrible. I went in there to buy a tablet and they had most of them not on display and nobody seemed to want to help us. We just left and went to staples and bought one. Plus we got airmiles.

Also buying games there is a joke. More than once I've gone and had to wait to get someone to open the cage and then the game is out of stock.
games will continue to become more digital and hopefully suscription based.. why is Mario Kart is still $89 in 2019... insane!!! video games used to be $59
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: why is Mario Kart is still $89 in 2019... insane!!! video games used to be $59
Inflation.

Personally I'd rather pay $90 for a game once than $140 for currency in a P2W game that's "free"
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16207 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Who in their right mind would ever say yes to this?

I do have to applaud whoever thought of this though. $20/month from suckers that don't know any better?
I'd do it too because I like money more than I have morals.
Let's put it this way. Let's say that maybe $599 is what BB wanted in the first place, but average Joe does not know that.
Their website clearly reads "$999"
That's where the in store (only) sale at that point is $799.
Then a sales person says that for only $30 a month there is a deeper discount available just for saying yes.
The new price? $599...all because they know you now have to pay $30 a month for a full year and it only cancels when YOU cancel after that. (they secretly hope you will forget to cancel, like I did)
Plus, with all the games they're probably playing with us, they're coming out on top, getting both the price they wanted in the first place AND a year of Geek Squad membership.
(something like that...)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3215 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
Times change. I used to buy a new computer when there was a good enough clearance deal from Best Buy, Future Shop, or Staples. Those deals dried up so they don't get my business or even traffic.

Staples started selling their clearance stuff on ebay ("surplus by design"). Good move for them. Their sales seem to end up being at very high prices.

And computer improvements slowed down. So I'm happily typing this on a computer I bought from surplus by design six years ago.

Mobile phone sales helped them for a while, but I haven't paid attention to the arc of that business. Or games.

Come to think of it, they have served a bunch of arching markets but we can never see what the next significant one, if any, might be.

Past ones: home audio, car audio, home theatre, vacuum cleaners, drones, camcorders, digital cameras, networking equipment, DVDs, ...
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10027 posts
1501 upvotes
Basement level shows a Shoppers is coming to that location.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11927 posts
3046 upvotes
lol, bestbuy is not going anywhere

they are arguably the only national wide electronics retailer (aside from staples). their footprint is huge.

it'll sell to another company before they go bankrupt
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5465 posts
2660 upvotes
Global Village
Hugh wrote:
Come to think of it, they have served a bunch of arching markets but we can never see what the next significant one, if any, might be.

Past ones: home audio, car audio, home theatre, vacuum cleaners, drones, camcorders, digital cameras, networking equipment, DVDs, ...
5G will most likely be the next significant tech market. I can see BB being all over that.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3646 posts
2196 upvotes
Vancouver
ericlewis91 wrote: games will continue to become more digital and hopefully suscription based.. why is Mario Kart is still $89 in 2019... insane!!! video games used to be $59
Exchange rate has something to do with this. Remember games were $59 when CAD was on par with USD. US pricing has always being $59 while CAD pricing went as high as $100 for the same games (SNES days i think?).

Of course retailers often take advantage of the "exchange rate" excuse and sometime take longer to drop prices back down or increase prices higher than exchange rate due to "projection". I.e. even when CAD was above USD, games were still $60. Still there is a confirmed correlation with exchange rate of pricing for almost all items.

As far as digital goes, yes that's the way going forward because it lowers production cost and also reduces the cost of goods sold cause you reduce the number of hands you need to go through (middleman) between you and the customer. That's the same reason EB/game stop started selling more products outside games because honestly they see the writing on the wall. Used games won't exist too much longer if no one buys physical copies anymore. On top of that, cost for someone like Amazon selling the same game is much lower than EB (on top of the fact, some of us prefer to NOT shop at EB due to gutted games).
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1316 posts
127 upvotes
Compared to the amount of foot traffic the place get, the tenant turnover seems to be quite high at Empress walk... though I guess it is true for most spots nowadays, it seems like big box stores and restaurants are doomed to fail there (Staples, Milestones, the old Japanese restaurant, and now BB) ... though from the outside, places like Loblaws and Wendys seems to be doing fine, I wonder how they are really doing in terms of revenue.

I’d guess that either the movie theatre or Petsmart will be next to go.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1861 upvotes
Victoria
I stopped paying attention to Best Buy. I usually buy my electronics online. I bought my last laptop from the microsoft store. The last electronics I bought from a B&M was my PC which I bought from memory express. Most of this was because Best Buys price's weren't all that competitive You can usually find whatever they sell in store online for cheaper.

What I never understood is why these places don't utilize their online footprint better. It's way more expensive operating b&m stores than online/warehouses. To charge prices online that are designed to pay for a B&M footprint doesn't seem that forward thinking. It allows companies like Amazon to undercut your prices.
Oct 16, 2018
112 posts
52 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: I would imagine many more of their stores closing. Online shopping is taking over fewer hassles and easier to run. Amazon and companies like them are probably why. Last time I actually when into a Best Buy store was probably 4 years ago
I was always a future shop guy anyway. Haven't been to a beatbuy since last Christmas.