• Jan 24th, 2021 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1047 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto

Closet doors...Bi-Folding Doors OR Mirrored Sliding Doors

Have about 7 closets to close up. Torn between Bi-Folding doors which IMO are more appealing to the eye BUT probably have higher tendency to break or come off the tracks due to more working parts with each use. Or simple Mirrored sliding doors which we are practical and will probably last longer on long run.

Am torn.
Which would you pick? Its for a rental property.
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9960 posts
5246 upvotes
Paris
Last I looked, bi-folds were cheaper. And the part to repair them are less.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5660 posts
3990 upvotes
for a rental I'd go with mirror. Tenants will break the bi-folding. But for my house I'd go with bi-filding, hate the look of mirror doors
Jan 21, 2011
460 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Go with bi-fold over mirrored, full access to closet. Better yet, put two regular swing doors if you can.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5045 posts
1361 upvotes
lamin wrote: Go with bi-fold over mirrored, full access to closet. Better yet, put two regular swing doors if you can.
Swing doors are nicer, no question, but they take up space in the room when opening, so furniture placement is more limited.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Dec 13, 2008
115 posts
60 upvotes
Hamilton
Replaced all my floppy noisy Bi-fold doors (x7) with the Sliding Door type, both mirror and opaque.

In the hallway, the mirror type makes the area seem more open. For the two bedrooms with the same size door, i swapped one door to have half mirror/ half opaque.

Installation is a 1/2 hour after doing one install. Over time the sliders will hold up better.

You can get a three panel slider if you need more opening width.

Hope this helps.
Feb 25, 2004
955 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
I don't know about a rental but for regular use by the owner, I don't think bi-folding breaking is a real issue. When I was a kid, all the closets had bi-folding doors at home and we (including my sister that wasn't very careful) never broke any. My current house also has bi-folding doors and I never broke any.

That is a really a personal opinion but to me, mirror doors do look dated while bi-folding (again in my opinion) stand the test of time better look wise.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8970 posts
3334 upvotes
Mississauga
How about non-mirrored sliding doors?

I find bi-folding closet doors yucky, but it is totally personal preference.

There's so many nice sliding door options, especially the type with an upper hang rail and you just have floor divider guides screwed into the floor, no track on the bottom. Not talking barn door style setup.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
For a RENTAL ... then the cheapest most viable option would suffice. Remember ... most tenants don't take care of your stuff. Ultimately, if it is broken ... you would need to go fix it.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1025 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
What about regular slab door for closet door? Most new detached houses use those now