Health & Wellness

Cloth, surgical masks only 10% effective against COVID-19: study

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes

Cloth, surgical masks only 10% effective against COVID-19: study

If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11747 posts
2602 upvotes
I hope people will not take the study in a wrong way. Remember the important point of the study
"There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room"

Recent observational studies and meta-analyses of mask effectiveness have estimated that mask usage reduces the risk of respiratory virus spread by 70% to 80%.22 Efficacy of home-made masks at preventing spread of influenza showed that surgical masks are three times more effective at blocking micro-organism transmission than home-made masks23–25 although none of these studies include randomized control trials.26 There is, however, evidence that communities in which masks were in widespread use exhibited significantly reduced community spread.24,25

Here is the study.
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0057100

The team probably used those cheap 3 layers masks, they are only marginally better than good quality cloth masks. Surgical masks that meet ASTM standard should perform a lot better. You can improve protection simply by double-masking. The study didn't take into account of speaking and coughing, that's when face covering become important.

Mask material Filtration efficiency (%) Δ𝑃 (Pa) Δ𝑃/Pdyn Δ𝑃/Q (Pa s/m3×10−5)
Cloth 40 1196 1356 19.67
Surgical 47 573 650 9.42

A good point that study brought up is air exchange, this is very important. Ideally you want 6 ACPH but reality is much lower. This can be partially mitigated by HEPA purifier.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask if possible, especially if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3301 upvotes
Out west
If thats the case, then why dont I have Covid yet?
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: If thats the case, then why dont I have Covid yet?
You might not notice you had it. And possibly spreading the virus killing people.

It's a probability game. The mask is a big factor.
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: If thats the case, then why dont I have Covid yet?
If you're in constant close contact with the public, you should have a N95 mask or better. If you're just grocery shopping, keeping your 6 ft distance, you'll be fine.

Double mask is my go to if I find myself too close with others or in a room with poor circulation.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3301 upvotes
Out west
restartRFD wrote: If you're in constant close contact with the public, you should have a N95 mask or better. If you're just grocery shopping, keeping your 6 ft distance, you'll be fine.

Double mask is my go to if I find myself too close with others or in a room with poor circulation.
Is this thread from a year ago?