• Aug 21st, 2021 11:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2021
1020 posts
736 upvotes
Toronto

Clothes Dryer runs but won't heat

I have a Kenmore dryer in my house. About a month ago it developed a problem - it still runs - the drum will spin, but there is no heat, so it doesn't really dry clothes. I checked the manual, all it says is that it runs on 2 fuses and one may be burned out, but that is not the problem (I have circuit breakers, and neither of them are tripped). I checked Youtube, they suggest some possible solutions, but look complicated to me. I have average handyman skills, mostly what I learn at shop class in high school and what I can figure out from Youtube. The dryer is 16 years old, am wondering, should I try to fix it or write it off and get a new machine.
13 replies
Mar 14, 2018
952 posts
913 upvotes
GTA
16 yrs old... there is your answer
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2593 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
Turn both breakers totally off and back on. Sometimes they can trip but still look on. Easy try to check at least...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jul 17, 2010
345 posts
371 upvotes
ElBorak wrote: I have a Kenmore dryer in my house. About a month ago it developed a problem - it still runs - the drum will spin, but there is no heat, so it doesn't really dry clothes. I checked the manual, all it says is that it runs on 2 fuses and one may be burned out, but that is not the problem (I have circuit breakers, and neither of them are tripped). I checked Youtube, they suggest some possible solutions, but look complicated to me. I have average handyman skills, mostly what I learn at shop class in high school and what I can figure out from Youtube. The dryer is 16 years old, am wondering, should I try to fix it or write it off and get a new machine.
Replace the heating element
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7818 posts
6289 upvotes
Ottawa
bundy5555 wrote: Replace the heating element
This.

Unplug the machine from the wall. Take the front of the machine off (there are usually just a handful of screws at the very bottom of the front face of the dryer. You will have to unplug a few internal wires. Inspect. The interior will undoubtedly be clogged with lint that "escaped" the machine's filter so vacuum out the lint. Inspect the rollers, springs, and bushings for condition. If these are in decent condition and if the controls are still operating, your machine is "worth" repairing. Now, disconnect the heating coil. It usually is just a few screws. Inspect the coil - you will undoubtedly find a break somewhere in that coil. This is the unit that needs to be replaced. It shouldn't cost more than around $40.

It is one of the easiest jobs to perform on any appliance. I did one for my mother's dryer when I was 16 years old and I've done a handful of them over the subsequent 40 years. If, however, you cannot do this kind of job, it will cost you WAY more to get a technician in and then it will likely not be "worth" it because it's 16 years old. Only by taking it apart and assessing it can you determine if it's "worth" it. My Kenmore HE3 dryer is 16 years old and I've replaced the coil twice and it's still working like a champ.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11090 posts
4338 upvotes
ElBorak wrote: I have a Kenmore dryer in my house. About a month ago it developed a problem - it still runs - the drum will spin, but there is no heat, so it doesn't really dry clothes. I checked the manual, all it says is that it runs on 2 fuses and one may be burned out, but that is not the problem (I have circuit breakers, and neither of them are tripped). I checked Youtube, they suggest some possible solutions, but look complicated to me. I have average handyman skills, mostly what I learn at shop class in high school and what I can figure out from Youtube. The dryer is 16 years old, am wondering, should I try to fix it or write it off and get a new machine.
It's either the heating element or thermostat. I just fixed this on our dryer and it can get a little complicated because it requires a volt meter to narrow down what's wrong. It can be done without a volt meter if you're willing to replace both the element and thermostat. Cost me $40

I replaced the heating element and the thermostat and it's as good as new. Your Kennmore is relatively easy to fix, a little patience and a few tools
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Jun 23, 2019
539 posts
394 upvotes
I just fixed this issue last weekend for my mother. She has a 2002 Kenmoore dryer with the exact same issue: drum turns, but no heat. In her case it was the cycling thermostat, but I ended up changing the thermostats, high limit switches, and thermal fuse while I was in there. This is the kit I bought:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HM7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Her Kenmoore is actually a rebadged Whirpool, I discovered this when I took the unit apart and ran the part numbers. If you have a Ohm Meter you can check exactly what failed: heating element, high limit, thermal fuse, or thermostat. However for the price to replace all four pieces I just ended up replacing everything.
Aug 27, 2004
758 posts
193 upvotes
Cyberspace
+1 to do it yourself and all the advice above.

I had a Samsung dryer a couple years past its one year warranty with the same symptoms. Spent some quality time googling the model number , found it was a model that was sold under other names.
I found a step by step repair with pictures for one of the other brand models.
It was kind of tricky as the quickest way to do it was to reach into where you can't see to replace the heating coil/thermostat assembly.
The pictures were very helpful.

When I went to the local parts place, the counter woman recommended buying the whole assembly including the thermostat as it was easier to replace as a whole unit and you shouldn't have to repeat the repair any time soon.
Last edited by astrolad on Aug 22nd, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aspiring Old Guy
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18629 posts
6032 upvotes
London
The other thing to check is if the dryer vent outside is blocked by lint - causes the dryer internals to run hot , but the clothes still don't dry because there is no air flow

Might have been the original trigger that caused it to break in the first place
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7818 posts
6289 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: The other thing to check is if the dryer vent outside is blocked by lint - causes the dryer internals to run hot , but the clothes still don't dry because there is no air flow

Might have been the original trigger that caused it to break in the first place
This is true too and always a good regular maintenance item on the inspection checklist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
clutch31 wrote: 16 yrs old... there is your answer
What is wrong with 16. Mine is 20.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11090 posts
4338 upvotes
teoconca wrote: What is wrong with 16. Mine is 20.
Exactly nothing to do with age.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I had this same problem with my samsung dryer last night. Watched the videos as well and decided to tap the unit alittle and unplugged the power and plugged it back in. Dont ask me how but that did the trick. Goodluck
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8723 posts
2371 upvotes
My dad had a similar issue with his GE dryer. I youtubed it, and ordered the parts from armesupply . It was about $120 for the part. When was able to access the element, I saw that a section burnt out like a like bulb burning out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)