• Nov 16th, 2021 11:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3763 posts
2737 upvotes
toronto

cloud storage for photos/video

I just need a recommendation for storing family photos and videos. So far I have about 2tb on external HD`s of files. I was looking at Idrive where I can just backup my external HD from time to time.

What do you guys use and what is the easiest? I just need something simple that can hold my files in case something happens to my computer or various backup drives
Got that FIDO account!
12 replies
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I just need a recommendation for storing family photos and videos. So far I have about 2tb on external HD`s of files. I was looking at Idrive where I can just backup my external HD from time to time.

What do you guys use and what is the easiest? I just need something simple that can hold my files in case something happens to my computer or various backup drives
Google Photos because of all the features, and I'm quite a bit in the Google ecosystem.

Amazon has unlimited storage for photos and Microsoft bundles drive storage with Office 365 so that's handy.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3763 posts
2737 upvotes
toronto
restartRFD wrote: Google Photos because of all the features, and I'm quite a bit in the Google ecosystem.

Amazon has unlimited storage for photos and Microsoft bundles drive storage with Office 365 so that's handy.
I would go with google photos but with the 4k video etc I already have over 2tb and growing, so $14+++ a month is going to add up pretty fast. just looking for a place where I can dump it for safe keeping. or do I just keep buying 8tb hard drives?
Got that FIDO account!
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I would go with google photos but with the 4k video etc I already have over 2tb and growing, so $14+++ a month is going to add up pretty fast. just looking for a place where I can dump it for safe keeping. or do I just keep buying 8tb hard drives?
Buying drives is one thing but what if knock on wood, something happens to your house.

Worse case with cloud providers is they change pricing plans (looking at you Google....).

I didn't really get into 4K yet until just recently, and I will have the same predicament....I have 1TB with OneDrive for now.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Jun 12, 2020
341 posts
181 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I would go with google photos but with the 4k video etc I already have over 2tb and growing, so $14+++ a month is going to add up pretty fast. just looking for a place where I can dump it for safe keeping. or do I just keep buying 8tb hard drives?
What about buying an used pixel 1 phone which gives you free unlimited storage with original quality, all you need to do is to move all your files from your drives to the phone
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
11353 posts
9685 upvotes
Winnipeg
restartRFD wrote: Buying drives is one thing but what if knock on wood, something happens to your house.

Worse case with cloud providers is they change pricing plans (looking at you Google....).

I didn't really get into 4K yet until just recently, and I will have the same predicament....I have 1TB with OneDrive for now.
That's why I back up my files x2 a year.. and have the hdd in a safety deposit box. I only keep my current files in another hard drive that I access during the year, then I transfer everything over from there. I have 2 HDD with all the files. One at home and one in the safety box.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I use SmugMug for my "longterm" storage. Now that they've added a new (paid) option for RAWs, I uploaded another ~200GB of those as well.
Google still has a better app and interface, but I prefer SmugMug's focus on data privacy.

Being tied to Google in such a way has always made me slightly uncomfortable.

I was also considering 500px at one point, since it's a "Canadian" company. Well they became Chinese-controlled in 2018. No thanks!
- casual gastronomist -
May 7, 2012
57 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
+1 for smugmug. Had been adding photos for 2 years on smugmug for my clients. unlimited storage. Biggest benefit is connectivity from Lightroom to upload directly to website thus enhancing my workflow. Recently started using for video. Unlimited storage but with small limitation that each video file needs to be 3GB or under. Smugmug do not market a lot but their offerings are better than any photo competitor. Use this code to receive 20% off on your first year. https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=GCZDjT.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1930 posts
1258 upvotes
I wouldn't trust commercial backup services to reliably preserve digital memories for the next generations (for 30+ years). Instead, I designed my own setup, described in detail here (the post is 7 years old, but I am still using pretty much the same setup, no issues so far):

strategy-long-term-preserving-your-digi ... s-1392711/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6208 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
Google Photos. Someome here selling shared accounts with almost unlimited storage - for life for cheap.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3763 posts
2737 upvotes
toronto
pulsar123 wrote: I wouldn't trust commercial backup services to reliably preserve digital memories for the next generations (for 30+ years). Instead, I designed my own setup, described in detail here (the post is 7 years old, but I am still using pretty much the same setup, no issues so far):

strategy-long-term-preserving-your-digi ... s-1392711/
thanks, I am doing something similar to this but also wanted a cloud storage option just in case. Also its good if I am not at home or somewhere where I do not have access to my drives and want to pull out a few files. I think I will give smugmug a try and keep using your advice for the hard drives.
Got that FIDO account!
Apr 24, 2017
134 posts
48 upvotes
vancouver
I've got a bunch of external hard drives but no redundant backups...I;m currently looking at buying a NAS so that I can back up my pics/vids/media on to the device. I may even look to hook up some security cameras to it as well then I can store everything locally.

I'm likely going to be keeping Google Photos, and Prime Photos as cloud based back ups, but under limited use
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3763 posts
2737 upvotes
toronto
so smugmug vs Idrive. I signed up for both trials and smugmug is more of a website and selling your photos. I think that Idrive is more of what I am looking for. Now what is the cheapest way of getting Idrive?
Got that FIDO account!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)