Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto

Cloud storage recommendation

I feel that I should find a cloud storage solution to give me an offsite backup option for my data (personal and self-employed business)

I currently have backups running from mine and my wife's backups to a networked NAS drive which is all fine. But the data is still all residing inside the house and nothing is offsite.

I would need 2 separate accounts for our laptops, or at least a way to keep the data separate. For the wife's data, she has approx. 200GB of mostly photos/videos. probably 75% or more is stuff she does not need to access, but just store (ie. older photos/videos). When I was looking at sync.com, I liked the idea of parking some of the data in the "vault" so that only the current stuff that she uses would be sync'd realtime. I don't want any of her crap syncing onto my laptop.

For my own data, I have approx. 20-30GB of data to store. As with the wife's, a lot of it could reside in a "vault" setting (old client files etc that I don't need to reside on my local machine)

Is there a cloud storage provider that I can create separate accounts, and with a "vault" option to store offline data that I could retrieve but not have reside on the local machines on a regular basis? Or am I just better off getting 2x sync.com accounts?

Appreciate any recommendations!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
google photos is free and offers unlimited storage for JPGs (up to 16Mpixel) and videos (up to 1080p).

you can create several accounts with one phone number.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: google photos is free and offers unlimited storage for JPGs (up to 16Mpixel) and videos (up to 1080p).

you can create several accounts with one phone number.
does it compress the photos/videos?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
Jay-c wrote: does it compress the photos/videos?
No if jpgs are 16mps or smaller, videos are 1080p or lower.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: No if jpgs are 16mps or smaller, videos are 1080p or lower.
Might be good for all her photo/video, and I can just dump her docs into a subfolder in a sync.com vault once in a while.. if it isn't real-time sync for that it isn't critical. I assume that google photos does real-time sync for photo/video?

This might work... sync.com for my stuff, have my "active" files sync with my laptop, and "vault" the inactive files but I still want to be able to access once in a while
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
If you are willing to pay, you could always buy a 1 yr sub to Dropbox for 1TB of storage. I believe the cost is $100 for the yr. Pricey, but could always claim it as a business expense.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5241 posts
3520 upvotes
CrashPlan had a good promo during black friday and the holidays

Box.com is great too.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: No if jpgs are 16mps or smaller, videos are 1080p or lower.
I tested this and this is not what I found. Even JPG's lower than 16mbps were slightly lower in file size so there was compression for the free option of Google Photos. Not sure how it deals with RAW images but for jpg, there is compression for sure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)